garage Freezer

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Rykard

garage Freezer

Post by Rykard »

HI,
the mil is looking for a freezer to go in her garage. What should she be looking for to make sure is it suitable?
I thought I had read something on here but I can't find the thread.

cheers
Rich
jansman

Re: garage Freezer

Post by jansman »

In my experience ,anything you like. Some folks here seem to talk about heating them!!! never understood,but I am sure you’ll hear in a short while :lol: :lol: :lol: I have two in an outbuilding,that have been there for eeerm …. Donkeys years. No trouble. That building gets cold by the way,but it’s FREEZING that the machines do. As I said,I’m sure you’ll be told. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:29 am In my experience ,anything you like. Some folks here seem to talk about heating them!!! never understood,but I am sure you’ll hear in a short while :lol: :lol: :lol: I have two in an outbuilding,that have been there for eeerm …. Donkeys years. No trouble. That building gets cold by the way,but it’s FREEZING that the machines do. As I said,I’m sure you’ll be told. :lol:
Anything you like as a freezer, but avoid fridge freezer combo.
I'm the fool that had to heat the garage to keep my food cold. Counter intuitive. So I've researched it.

viewtopic.php?p=201562&hilit=freezer#p201562

A freezer in the garage is likely to be fine, though SOME tell you not to run them at ambient temperatures below about 10C, because the compressor stops working. BEKO freezers make a selling point of their tolerance to cold environment.
Fridge freezers are another matter and can give horrendous failure because they tend to only have one mechanism and one thermostat. My old combined fridge freezer completely defrosts in cold weather, so I no longer use it as anything more than a cupboard
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

thanks both.