Heat Pumps are Pants! Second Thread

Homes and Retreats
itsybitsy

Heat Pumps are Pants! Second Thread

Post by itsybitsy »

I have no desire for a heat pump thanks. I haven't heard anything good about them from anyone. :lol:
korolev

Re: Heat Pumps are Pants!

Post by korolev »

We had a lot of work done to our house last year. Part of it was a revamp of the (wet) central heating. We looked into a heat pump but decided against it for the following reasons:
1. Cost. It was going to cost at least £10k more than a new gas boiler. Given the longevity and reliability it might never cost in.
2. Complexity. We'd need to find space for all the gubbins and we'd rather have that for storing our stuff.
3. Efficiency. There are questions about how warm it can make the house and how long it takes to warm it up.

We've gone with a Vaillant condensing boiler. When that wears out it might be a hydrogen boiler or it might be an electric boiler. Mind you, I'll probably be in a care home by then so it'll be someone elses problem
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

test post
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Government and the world in general are changing almost every aspect of our lives because of global warming its good that their taking it more seriously mabe not as seriously as some would like.
Heating
Driving
15 minute city's
Are all coming and more in 15 years time we probably wouldn't recognise the place.

But we have to accept it ,its not always going to sute everybody but wise choices now might make a lot of difference.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Things will change,for sure. I won’t see it,but changes will occur. Something I read years ago though;

‘The very last man on earth will cook his very last meal on a wood fire.’
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Ara

Post by Ara »

At our last house, a Victorian stone built farmhouse, we had the energy saving expert round to tell us what we could do to improve its performance. He said in no circumstances should we install a heat pump as our house was far too leaky for it to have any effect. We went for wood fired heating. Our current house is heated by oil central heating and an open fire as there is no gas in the village. Some houses use calor gas but most have a mixture of oil and wood/coal heating. This summer we will be changing the open fire for a closed stove. Shock! Horror! There are currently no heat pumps locally. I wonder why?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ara wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:09 pm At our last house, a Victorian stone built farmhouse, we had the energy saving expert round to tell us what we could do to improve its performance. He said in no circumstances should we install a heat pump as our house was far too leaky for it to have any effect. We went for wood fired heating. Our current house is heated by oil central heating and an open fire as there is no gas in the village. Some houses use calor gas but most have a mixture of oil and wood/coal heating. This summer we will be changing the open fire for a closed stove. Shock! Horror! There are currently no heat pumps locally. I wonder why?
We live in a similar Victorian granite built farm worker’s cottage. We are in a row of 8. The original occupants served the Lord of The Manor who owned the land at the back of us where half the occupants of the village now live! When we first moved in ,all but one used the chimneys. The one was us. In the last twelve months all but one is back using the chimneys! :lol: In our high tech,super duper society,we are back using - FIRE! :lol: :lol: Central heating has only been commonplace since the late 70’s onwards. Yet now it is considered vital. Hence, ASHP instead of gas heating. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:56 am Government and the world in general are changing almost every aspect of our lives because of global warming its good that their taking it more seriously mabe not as seriously as some would like.
Heating
Driving
15 minute city's
Are all coming and more in 15 years time we probably wouldn't recognise the place.

But we have to accept it ,its not always going to sute everybody but wise choices now might make a lot of difference.
Just a response to something earlier. It has been proposed that no Gas COOKERS will be fitted in new build houses after 2025. Indeed, that such houses not be connected to the gas grid. But it's only a proposal yet.

The legislation banning new gas boilers only applies to houses built post 2025. So if you have a gas boiler now, it will still continue to be possible to replace it like for like... at least under current law.

May I ask why the thread was replaced? Just curious.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:11 pm

May I ask why the thread was replaced? Just curious.
Technical glitch.
Cocotte

Re: Heat Pumps are Pants! Second Thread

Post by Cocotte »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:51 am I haven't heard anything good about them from anyone. :lol:
We have one and it's great.
It's a geothermal (big tube and pipe 200m verticle nto the bedrock). It could be better (I'll say later)

But for most UK homes any great pumps aren't going to cut it.
You need insulation, as they slowly build up heat.
You need underfloor heating (which we're lacking), or large radiators and well placed.

With drafty houses built around a brick chimney that was meant to be burning coal most the time, built 50-200 years ago, UK homes just aren't a viable option.

Nice idea, but only for new builds or builds designed for it. Unless you've a house that actually fits those categories