Yorkshire Andy

Simple household emergency lighting

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Came across these on eBay
Screenshot_20230223-112306.png
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374310247104 ... BMksiC289h

As a drop in replacement for a standard pendant type light fittings

Available in various wattages / base fittings

They contain a rechargeable cell and a little bit of black magic to make them work ..
They don't work as such on loss of power but with no power they work off the light switch

The ones I got seem to be a cool white light

Put the new bulb put in safely ...

Turn the light on to light the room and charge the unit battery..

In the event of the power going off the unit detects the lightbulb turned on by a high resistance path between live and negative from any plugged in appliances around the home and powers it from the inbuilt battery at a reduced lighting level

Put one in last night but was a bit late to start flicking the power off :lol:

https://youtu.be/rcKbLnUz1bI

https://youtu.be/EDwc4pL0TdI
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Re: Simple household emergency lighting

Post by Frnc »

They look ideal for a short powercut. The only downside is their battery would discharge in a few hours and presumably it's built in. They'd be great in a kitchen where you want bright light for a relatively short amount of time. How bright are they in batterey mode compared to mains?

For stairs and landings you can't beat the little motion ones. Their batteries are standard AAA and they last for months.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'll let you know it'll get a bit more charge tonight..

It goes on and off with the switch so if you have a power cut and your out .. it'll come on when you flick the switch rather than just light up automatically if the light is off

From reading they won't work on a double bulb set up or say a bathroom with a fan in circuit..

Cupboard under the stairs is the first place I'm trying right next to the fuse board and can find the preps in there

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:24 pm I'll let you know it'll get a bit more charge tonight..

It goes on and off with the switch so if you have a power cut and your out .. it'll come on when you flick the switch rather than just light up automatically if the light is off

From reading they won't work on a double bulb set up or say a bathroom with a fan in circuit..

Cupboard under the stairs is the first place I'm trying right next to the fuse board and can find the preps in there
HI andy lol yup stalkng you on a thread again they look a good idea , so from what you say even if the power is off as long as the battery is charged it turns on as you say less brightb ut should be enough to see by , i might be buying a couple to test out like you in the fuse board cupboard and the boiler room , if they are good them might get a couple of standard lamps to pop one in each bedroom and so on but also thanks for pointing out they will not work on the stairs and landing as our si the double bulb so to speak , look forward ro your test
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've had a quick play much to little man's excitement I put it in his room it's nice and bright on mains bit blue been daylight / cool white

It didn't work when I tripped the lighting circuit put MCB back on flicked the main isolator guessing it then found a path between live and negative and worked fine

In battery mode it's bright enough to see by not overwhelming or spectacular but not poor either you can see ok the utter confusion on a 6 year olds face when his is the only light switch working in the house :lol:

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:32 pm I've had a quick play much to little man's excitement I put it in his room it's nice and bright on mains bit blue been daylight / cool white

It didn't work when I tripped the lighting circuit put MCB back on flicked the main isolator guessing it then found a path between live and negative and worked fine

In battery mode it's bright enough to see by not overwhelming or spectacular but not poor either you can see ok the utter confusion on a 6 year olds face when his is the only light switch working in the house :lol:
LOL you best watch out he might report you to the witch finder general ifyou do not give him enough easter eggs lol , that one girl reported her whole family as witches so watch out lol .

Thanks for the heads up on these i might try them as you say not meant to live by but to stop you fall in the dark could be good .

I am hoping to get a full report on the using my triange burner to heat the kelly kettle in the garden and in the kitche nand i will also be testing out or bio fuel little fire to see how much it can help the room temp we might use one in the bedroom as we have air vents in the walls and a through flow of air but might just try it on a very cold night to see what the temp gauge in the bedroom reads just to help warm the room a little , they say from the little small pot of fuel it can run 4 hours but after reading up i have place the really good qulaity wick in the pop and that ay they say it can hold more fuel and not spill as well if knocked but also expends the burn time again all trial and error but well we shall see , once spring is here we are looking at a new type wood burner that meets the new laws on immissions and might get that fitted funds permitting .

Thanks for a wonderful site
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

steptoe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:37 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:32 pm I've had a quick play much to little man's excitement I put it in his room it's nice and bright on mains bit blue been daylight / cool white

LOL you best watch out he might report you to the witch finder general ifyou do not give him enough easter eggs lol , that one girl reported her whole family as witches so watch out lol .

Thanks for the heads up on these i might try them as you say not meant to live by but to stop you fall in the dark could be good .

I am hoping to get a full report on the using my triange burner to heat the kelly kettle in the garden and in the kitche nand i will also be testing out or bio fuel little fire to see how much it can help the room temp we might use one in the bedroom as we have air vents in the walls and a through flow of air but might just try it on a very cold night to see what the temp gauge in the bedroom reads just to help warm the room a little , they say from the little small pot of fuel it can run 4 hours but after reading up i have place the really good qulaity wick in the pop and that ay they say it can hold more fuel and not spill as well if knocked but also expends the burn time again all trial and error but well we shall see , once spring is here we are looking at a new type wood burner that meets the new laws on immissions and might get that fitted funds permitting .

Bet it will confuse the hell out the council electrician when he comes to do the ecir inspection later next month :twisted:

Which ethanol heater did you plump for in the end?

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Aldi are doing a swivel torch / light led with batteries included nice little piece of kit .£5.99..very bright ..that went in basket yesterday
Thanks Yorkshire Andy im turning into you as one of the emergency light bulbs you have shown on this thread is now on the way to me too :) gives the OH something to do though
:)
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:58 pm
steptoe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:37 pm

Bet it will confuse the hell out the council electrician when he comes to do the ecir inspection later next month :twisted:

Which ethanol heater did you plump for in the end?
Hi Andy i got one of the small ones to see howm uch heat that throws out first i have added the extra wicking material in it as it had some thin stuff cheap stuff so i got the 25mm thick stuff and they say it helps it burn longer withthe same amount of fuel as it lasts longer we shall see ,i have also added some stainless steel with 3mm holes in it to make it more little jets of flame but we shall see when i test it , i am looking at a log burner for the living room but i am hoping these small ethanol can be used in power outages along with the paraffin heaters