Self defence ideas

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pseudonym

Re: Self defence ideas

Post by pseudonym »

I carry a false wallet and cheap Nokia 100 mobile phone (with no SIM card).
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:58 pm I carry a false wallet and cheap Nokia 100 mobile phone (with no SIM card).
My wife always joked when i had a mobile it was so old that the muggers would probaly take pitty on me and give me theirs lol , the fake wallet is a must these days but then again if someone came to mug me i would say i been married 30 plus years and you think i have money you can check me pockets lol , i never read the small print on the marriage certificate " you give up all rights to money from this day forward"
jansman

Post by jansman »

steptoe wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:24 pm
pseudonym wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:58 pm I carry a false wallet and cheap Nokia 100 mobile phone (with no SIM card).
My wife always joked when i had a mobile it was so old that the muggers would probaly take pitty on me and give me theirs lol , the fake wallet is a must these days but then again if someone came to mug me i would say i been married 30 plus years and you think i have money you can check me pockets lol , i never read the small print on the marriage certificate " you give up all rights to money from this day forward"
I should have put my glasses on to read our certificate! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:34 pm
I know i was just so giddy on the day with the amount of money we were spending that i never read the small print , it was only after week one the wife said ok hand it over lol , i must say i am joking but she does hold all my money and card because of the brain injury i have been known to pay at the counter put my wallet down and then walk off leaving it there , i will say when i had a chunk of money left me i signed it over to her lol but i did look at the 50 cal club and well i was banned from the gun shops lol , as my wife use to tell me in my gamberling days a fool and his money are easily parted lol.
jansman

Post by jansman »

steptoe wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:07 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:34 pm

I know i was just so giddy on the day with the amount of money we were spending that i never read the small print , it was only after week one the wife said ok hand it over lol , i must say i am joking but she does hold all my money and card because of the brain injury i have been known to pay at the counter put my wallet down and then walk off leaving it there , i will say when i had a chunk of money left me i signed it over to her lol but i did look at the 50 cal club and well i was banned from the gun shops lol , as my wife use to tell me in my gamberling days a fool and his money are easily parted lol.
My wife deals with our money. Frankly I leave it to her. The day we got wed I was going round paying off the disco, landlord of the pub etc. I told my dad I was not happy with all that shelling out. He said that the wedding was a down payment for the rest of my life!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Learn a bit of martial arts. Just enough to learn how to punch properly so you don't break your wrist.

It's not so much about the technique as it is about the mindset of being hit and being able to hit back.

We live in a relatively polite society, most people haven't been punched in the face properly and everything changes when you have.

As for things I tend to carry, an umbrella with a pointy metal tip is usually by my front door. For when it rains.

I used to play baseball on the green nearby so had a bat (as well as some tennis balls and cones nearby 😀 ) I did a practice swing in my front porch and didn't have enough room so that was a no go.

When I used to work in Cardiff there was a large group of undesirables hanging around the bus and train station, I'd always carry a metal flask of hot coffee, in case they wanted a brew instead of frosty Jack at 0730hrs.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I can understand why people carry * something * for self defence,however… not only is it illegal to carry anything if you intend to use it in a scrap ,it can also cause it. What do I mean?
Walking down the street,armed and worried ,can actually cause that situation. If you think about it,it can * happen*. A negative attitude can cause negativity. I am not saying “ walk around in a daydream”, indeed awareness is probably the important part of looking out for yourself, but being ‘packed’ can cause you to overthink a situation.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Captain Darling wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:59 am Learn a bit of martial arts. Just enough to learn how to punch properly so you don't break your wrist.

It's not so much about the technique as it is about the mindset of being hit and being able to hit back.

We live in a relatively polite society, most people haven't been punched in the face properly and everything changes when you have.
Maybe I need to get out more often, but I can't remember the last time I felt seriously threatened walking down the street.* Or maybe the ne-erdowells are like zombies and lurk in dark areas where I just don't venture? Some of the roughest and poorest local areas actually have some of the friendliest people. Leaving the house in any way tooled up is like looking for confrontation.
Slightly different situation in a SHTF aftermath, where venturing out might require a walking stick, for 'balance.'

*Mostly when becoming aware of a bike or scooter whizzing behind me on the pavement, but they are just jerks and I either get out of the way or make myself wide, depending on my mood. :)
jansman wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:30 am A negative attitude can cause negativity. I am not saying “ walk around in a daydream”, indeed awareness is probably the important part of looking out for yourself, but being ‘packed’ can cause you to overthink a situation.
With the right attitude you are either actually not there, or are inconspicuous as a target. There might always be unexpected attacks such as GeeGee in the shower, but where is the umbrella or maglite in those cases? So yes. Maybe learn how to jab or punch and make a LOT of noise.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Many years as a dooman I came to the conclusion that when most people attack someone else it's because they think that they will win .
Maybe it's get in first or they are bigger ,younger ,stronger, male..
If your attacked for no reason it will almost certainly be for the same reason.
Fill er up jacko...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Agree 100% about the "thinking they will win" thing. Mr GB sometimes needs a walking stick and has noticed that the "trouble" types look at him quite differently with/without the stick. He has had 2 bouts of being approached/surrounded when using the stick. Threatening looking groups both dispersed fast when said stick was raised in a way that looked worrying. He has never been approached when out without the stick.
Predators pick off the vulnerable. Try not to look vulnerable.....