Self defence ideas

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
GeeGee

Re: Self defence ideas

Post by GeeGee »

No its in their secure room but they showed me to reassure me ... I wanted to know what safeguards they had
He did one but I had gone long before they got him out
The police rang me about 10 days later gave me a incident number
He paid in by cash so no trace of him now but I havent seen him since
I think theyre pretty well trained they'd clocked him before I did ..these days the intensive training for people working in the public espically places like that is rightly rigorous
I dont feel unsafe...I just feel annoyed I wasn't on the ball
Its the same I believe in shops and other places theyll have pics of the unsociable people in their security room trouble makers etc
The pool is council run I go to its used widely and I suppose with people being people we are always going to see or hear or maybe experience something ..as time as gone on I see it as something to learn from ...I've seen fights and gangs of kids causing hell they deal with allsorts on a daily basis
I also do circuits abs weights and spin class :) keep up the strength ... everyone is too knackered after that to jump on anyone :)
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Maybe we should have a thread like How Are You Preparing, but for how are you preparing yourself, eg exercise and maybe other stuff. I need to try to get a bit fitter as I'm supposed to be doing a bike ride with a friend in early April. I've not been out for ages. Been doing a bit on the exercise bike recently though. It can measure my pulse. I don't normally do that, but I tried it when I was pushing it a bit, was 130, and when I was rested it was 75. Then I found this chart https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living ... eart-rates. My target is 80-130 rested, 160 max. I think being on the low end rested is ok, maybe even good. I need to get back into doing my 'circuits' every day - a few pullups, push ups etc. I have a mat, a pullup bar and resistance bands to aid the pullups. I do the pushups from the knees. I need some sort of punch bag. The worry with that is I'm prone to frozen shoulder if I do sudden movements it doesn't like, but it might be ok.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Correction. Target Heart Rate includes moderate to vigorous activities. I thought 130 was a bit bonkers for resting!

"Target heart rate during moderate intensity activities is about 50-70% of maximum heart rate, while during vigorous physical activity it’s about 70-85% of maximum."

So when I was 130, that was close to my 85% figure of 136 for vigorous activity. I must admit I didn't feel like I should be going any harder.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

The following video is a JOKE - please view as such 😀

"Restomp the groin"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnbdcg_hghm/
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Mr GB is under the consutant for his arthitis so a walking stick is very justifiable on his bad days. Funny those do occur when out at at night or up town... Twice, waving this in a way that suggested he knew how to use it for more than walking has made some low lives suddenly rethink their plan to surround him and presumably relieve him of his possessions. On the other hand he has also noted that some people look at him differently when he has the stick - as if they are assessing him as easy pickings so it cuts both ways.
Thinking you could use a knife for defence is a bad idea at many levels. Quite apart from the legal angle I did some knife defence and awareness lessons at my martial arts class. (The instructor has spent many years as a bouncer so his advice is real life experience.) The lessons the whole class learned by practicing attck and defence with plastic knives were:
If possible don't be there in the first place.
If your assailant is more used to a knife than you are it will soon be THEM waving YOUR knife at you.
Hand your wealth over and run like h3ll. Your life is more valuable.
If running is not an option and you must fight then expect to get cut. Training may help keep the damage non-lethal but you can never be certain.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

GillyBee wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:09 pm
If your assailant is more used to a knife than you are
about 99.9999% of thugs probably
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:09 pm Mr GB is under the consutant for his arthitis so a walking stick is very justifiable on his bad days. Funny those do occur when out at at night or up town... Twice, waving this in a way that suggested he knew how to use it for more than walking has made some low lives suddenly rethink their plan to surround him and presumably relieve him of his possessions. On the other hand he has also noted that some people look at him differently when he has the stick - as if they are assessing him as easy pickings so it cuts both ways.
Thinking you could use a knife for defence is a bad idea at many levels. Quite apart from the legal angle I did some knife defence and awareness lessons at my martial arts class. (The instructor has spent many years as a bouncer so his advice is real life experience.) The lessons the whole class learned by practicing attck and defence with plastic knives were:
If possible don't be there in the first place.
If your assailant is more used to a knife than you are it will soon be THEM waving YOUR knife at you.
If running is not an option and you must fight then expect to get cut. Training may help keep the damage non-lethal but you can never be certain.
You’ve summed it up nicely there!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:53 pm
GillyBee wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:09 pm If possible don't be there in the first place.
You’ve summed it up nicely there!
Yep, those all look really good points to me too!
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well if your going to a area you feel you may be a target then a very clever police officer once told me hey , buy a cheap wallet put a £5 in it and a few old reciepts , even may be a picture of just anyone cut out a mag so it looks like your wallet , so when or if you do get attacked you have the so called fake wallet to hand over even put old bank cards in or old cards from stores you know the type business cards anything to fool the person .

The other bit of advice i was given was if you are cornered by a single attacker and they want the wallet and watch and so on you take the watch off slow reach your wallet slow go as slow as you can with out making them attack and then you start the oh please please you can have it and so on make them seel your scared while you stay calm inside yes aderiniline is pumping but if you feel no other choice as you pass the stuff over you let it slip out of your grip so they bend to get it and as they do you have to be fast but it is a foot to the head now these days with my balance issues i owuld not try it but in my fit days i would if i had no other choice ttry that , but the golden rulle is hand it over you can replace a wallet a phone money and so on but your life is the only one you get .

Always try and be away of whats around you and if you feel your being followed head to a pub a restraunt or a shop when in there tell them and you can then either call a cab or a person to come to get you , just stay safe , my biggest hate is when ladies let other ladies walk home alone no matter what never even do it even if you have had a falling out on a night out you alweays make sure you get home safe
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

steptoe wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:40 pm Well if your going to a area you feel you may be a target then a very clever police officer once told me hey , buy a cheap wallet put a £5 in it and a few old reciepts , even may be a picture of just anyone cut out a mag so it looks like your wallet , so when or if you do get attacked you have the so called fake wallet to hand over even put old bank cards in or old cards from stores you know the type business cards anything to fool the person .

The other bit of advice i was given was if you are cornered by a single attacker and they want the wallet and watch and so on you take the watch off slow reach your wallet slow go as slow as you can with out making them attack and then you start the oh please please you can have it and so on make them seel your scared while you stay calm inside yes aderiniline is pumping but if you feel no other choice as you pass the stuff over you let it slip out of your grip so they bend to get it and as they do you have to be fast but it is a foot to the head now these days with my balance issues i owuld not try it but in my fit days i would if i had no other choice ttry that , but the golden rulle is hand it over you can replace a wallet a phone money and so on but your life is the only one you get .

Always try and be away of whats around you and if you feel your being followed head to a pub a restraunt or a shop when in there tell them and you can then either call a cab or a person to come to get you , just stay safe , my biggest hate is when ladies let other ladies walk home alone no matter what never even do it even if you have had a falling out on a night out you alweays make sure you get home safe
False wallet's not a bad idea, I did think of that myself, but never got round to it. I did keep my wallet and phone in a waist belt designed for runners when I was at Download festival. It sat under my t-shirt, partly down my trousers, but was easy enough to unzip the top of. In Japan I didn't bother as I felt so safe, even on back streets at night. Anyway, I do have a spare wallet. I think I might do that next time I go to a gig. I also have a cross body bag that's fairly slim, but the runner's belt is more discrete.
It looks very narrow, but it expands and can fit a 6" phone
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015RBYB4C/

I also have this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0788YWVZ6/

And there are these types
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OXTJBP4/