Self defence ideas

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
steptoe

Re: Self defence ideas

Post by steptoe »

Mortblanc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:10 pm
steptoe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:51 am
Mortblanc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:20 am Did you ever consider the fact that you have the wrong dog?

Did you ever consider the fact that there are people that can train your dog to defend you?
Hi why is it the wrong dog and why train a dog to attack or defend .

My point on this is my german shepard he was so soft he ran away fro ma moth and cried when he got lost in the woods and parted from us , he was very soft to the point he and his brother where returned to the breeder because he would not attack , he would not hold a soft toy in his mouth he would juggle it and would never grip , and it was funny he only every twice showed a bad side the first 2 years of owning him making him 3 he would not bark , one day the neighbour on our allotment walked close to him in a flat cap and barbour jacket and he growled and then again at a park one day a man in a flat cap and barbour jacket was close and he growled , hmmm now we know the people that took them tried to trai nthem to attack and when they would not returned them they were for want of a better word hooray henrys , now since our boy died we have looked to get another and i have been offered so many and then it turns out thye are failed police dogs that get the a point and fail some on the ablity to hold some on the the other things now think if you have this trained dog and you take it to a park and left it off the lead and a kid runs past arms waving are you sure that dog will not revert to it's training and run and grab the arm and drag the kid down now do you see why i say WHY train the dog to defend , also if you train a dog to defend and it attacks and you can not control that attack you could find yourself in hot water defence train dogs are a weapon and should not be so eays to buy for the public .
Sorry i hate it when people see dogs as nothing more than a defence or attack tool it is and should be a family member first and formost
I hate it when people over react to every suggestion.
You expressed a concern, made a comment about your dog, I offered a suggestion. If you don't like it don't take it.

No need to make me out a villain for suggesting that a dog can and will protect its pack as a natural behavior. It is one of the reasons they were the first animal we domesticated them 30,000 years ago.
Hmm no over reaction i am sick of people thinking a dog is a weapon or there to be weaponised , would you teach your child how to attack and injure a person ,see this is why we have so many irresponsible dog owner .

Sorry but you are the one putting forward train a dog to defend you which would mean teaching the dog to attack and have you seen what happens when a dog gets out of control by inexperienced owners like katie price for one , if you do not know how to control that dog when it does attack you have no chance of stopping that said attack , just look in the news lately hmmm how many fatal dog attacks and not just on young children i bet all those people never throught a dog could do it but again if a dog is then trained ot attack i point you to the then inexperience own has a lethal weapon at hand .

Sorry but a DOG is not there for use as a weapon unless train and handle by a fully trained dog handerler , you do know that you could be arrested and prosicuted should that said dog attack a person when out , sorry i get sick of this type of silly comment over dogs our german shepard was taken by people that wanted to make him attack him and his brother and when they wouldn't they just wanted them gone nice how people can be so impassionate about and animals life
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:04 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:51 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:33 pm

It could kill them. You'd have to prove it was reasonable. How do you prove that they intended to rape you?
Do you truly think that women should allow men to attack them rather than try to defend themselves if it came to that? Roll over and just let it happen? Honestly? That's your HONEST opinion.

Good grief.
Not killing them isn't recessarily the same as rolling over and just letting it happen, is it? There's a lot of things in between rolling over and killing them. I would have thought running would be one. Kicking them in the goolies, elbow in the stomach, punch in the nose, I dunno, I'm not a self defence expert. Obviously a blow to the throat is an option, but it has a risk of you going to jail for murder. Are rape alarms no use? What do the experts say?
I hate to be sexist, but female defending herself against a male attacker, would seem unlikely to be charged with murder for defensive actions unless she first incapacitated him and then went on the offensive.
The onus would need to be to prove that the guy attacked. We can't (sadly) just kill any man that we encounter.
I'm not a big fan of running. The guy would potentially be right behind you and out of sight. He needs to be WELL incapacitated before running is viable, IMHO. Leave him looking for his teeth or an eye. No mercy. Do'nt look back.

Back to the walking stick...... Anyone might reasonably have a walking stick without needing to be old or frail. Hikers, or even fashionistas. The OP carrying a knife was well out of order, though. That has to be a no-no.

Possibly worse than being attacked is the menace of being closely followed. There, defensive moves could be deemed first strike and unreasonable.

Re: The side topics of dogs. All the dogs my family ever had would have been too soft and think that any attack was 'play fighting'. We probably conditioned them that way. Wouldn't want to train aggression into them in case they ever got confused and attacked the wrong person.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GeeGee wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:21 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:37 pm
GeeGee wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:02 pm When the fella jumped on me in the showers at the pool the staff set the drown alarm off and they all came running and some of the men who were in the pool got out screaming at him
I was struggling to get the shampoo out of my face whilst trying to go ape s#it with said nutter and managed to knock him flat ...
Regardless of the self defence topic, this sounds a great anecdote!. What a 'kin nutter!
Yep that's how it happened ..he was a total lunatic and after I had got out of there he was refusing to get any clothes on and the kids swim was after ..the staff did what anyone would do if you saw it on the street ..help ... they had a right time with him ...
I didnt get the grilling..they did ..after police had seen video

The worst thing ?
Not the shakes I got afterwards
Not the fact the poor staff had to deal with it all and then had to justify trying to stop a naked madman
Mr GG ...saying how he felt useless as a husband because of the cancer and not there to help me
I told him hes more of a man than that pervert will ever be...
And I can look after myself
Been swimming today .. but I more aware that even in familiar places things can turn for the worst so I'm more alert now of my environment..wont stop going .not spoiling it for me .
Cripes.
The attacker must have been somehow deranged or drugged up (Not saying you are unattractive and didn't drive him crazy :) ) It sound's unthinkable.
I shed a tear reading how it made you feel. And those poor samaritans having to defend their actions..... And the perv getting off scott free?

Well done, you!
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:54 pm
I hate to be sexist, but female defending herself against a male attacker, would seem unlikely to be charged with murder for defensive actions unless she first incapacitated him and then went on the offensive.
The onus would need to be to prove that the guy attacked. We can't (sadly) just kill any man that we encounter.
I'm not a big fan of running. The guy would potentially be right behind you and out of sight. He needs to be WELL incapacitated before running is viable, IMHO. Leave him looking for his teeth or an eye. No mercy. Do'nt look back.
Probably all true, unless you're a very fast runner, dressed for running. See the video I posted. I edited the post you replied to out in light of that. He reckons you'd struggle to hit someone in the throat (because people keep their chin down when fighting) and it might not have much effect, or just disable them for a couple of seconds. He says hitting the head is the best way to defend yourself.
I guess it helps if you do some pushups, pullups, light weights, and maybe even a bit of boxing (hitting a rubber ball on a springy thing type stuff).
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Re that video, in the comments is a paramedic talking about people dying after one punch to the throat. But the main point is that most people keep their chin down when fighting, either through training or instinct. He says that if they don't, they are probably not much of a threat anyway so you probanly don't need to use such a debilitating move.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:06 pm I guess it helps if you do some pushups, pullups, light weights, and maybe even a bit of boxing (hitting a rubber ball on a springy thing type stuff).
I used to do a high intensity dance-exercise class which featured lots of punching forward to the Rocky theme tune and similar. It was pretty intense and bl00min' great for releasing pent up aggression. Don't underestimate a fist aimed 6 inches past the tip of your nose :)

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:35 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:06 pm I guess it helps if you do some pushups, pullups, light weights, and maybe even a bit of boxing (hitting a rubber ball on a springy thing type stuff).
I used to do a high intensity dance-exercise class which featured lots of punching forward to the Rocky theme tune and similar. It was pretty intense and bl00min' great for releasing pent up aggression. Don't underestimate a fist aimed 6 inches past the tip of your nose :)
I went to hospital once for a minor knee op. They called one bloke for his op. He got up an put a boxer style silk dressing gown on, hood up. By the time he'd walked across the ward, someone managed to play the Rocky theme tune on their phone, it was funny!

The bloke who did that video has another one about kicking in the goulies. He reckons if you do that to someone who is used to fighting, it will only make them more aggressive.

So, yeah, punch in the head and run I think. Make sure to bend your thumb out of harm's way.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GeeGee wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:21 pm The worst thing ?
Not the shakes I got afterwards
Not the fact the poor staff had to deal with it all and then had to justify trying to stop a naked madman
Mr GG ...saying how he felt useless as a husband because of the cancer and not there to help me
I told him hes more of a man than that pervert will ever be...
And I can look after myself
Been swimming today .. but I more aware that even in familiar places things can turn for the worst so I'm more alert now of my environment..wont stop going .not spoiling it for me .
GeeGee, that's just horrendous. Does sound like the bloke had totally lost it, out of touch with reality, but when he targets you for whatever's misfiring in his brain, then you have to take steps. Excellent news that the staff dealt with it (and from the sound of it had cctv to back you all up), but ... poor you. Poor MrGeeGee :( and what a lovely response you gave him.

I'm very glad that you're back there now. And yes, things can turn bad anywhere at all, I guess staying a little bit alert even when it seems safe is part of what we call situational awareness these days.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Probably at every pool gym or wherever there will be the same as at mine
Photos of the ones who have caused trouble
Had to laugh a bit
Photo of said perv taken from cctv ..with my name underneath..plus the ..potentials those who havent jumped on me but been watching closely ..theres a few people with this too but yeah my list seems longer but I am there a lot
The staff did laugh with me and said it must be just your luck eh ? Poor staff some are just kids 17 yr old
Mr GG says if I was shipwrecked on a desert island the only one that would rock up on a raft would be some crazed maniac ..they'd find me ...
Sign of the times unfortunately .. we just have to be careful more aware and keep vigilant..
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GeeGee wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:28 pm Probably at every pool gym or wherever there will be the same as at mine
Photos of the ones who have caused trouble
Had to laugh a bit
Photo of said perv taken from cctv ..with my name underneath..plus the ..potentials those who havent jumped on me but been watching closely ..theres a few people with this too but yeah my list seems longer but I am there a lot
Did the guy get detained/arrested/prosecuted? Or did he just leg it out of there in his trunks?

And surely the pool doesn't have your identity up on the wall for all to see? Or just behind the counter for the staff.
That would seem a GDPR infringement and a danger to you. Even printing up photos of suss looking men would seem to infringe their rights. What if some innocent's pic is posted and his employer saw it in the pervs gallery?