Self defence ideas

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Re: Self defence ideas

Post by jennyjj01 »

GeeGee wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:02 pm When the fella jumped on me in the showers at the pool the staff set the drown alarm off and they all came running and some of the men who were in the pool got out screaming at him
I was struggling to get the shampoo out of my face whilst trying to go ape s#it with said nutter and managed to knock him flat ...

He took his trunks off was screaming like a madman and the pool staff were trying to get him away .. he did eventually get out and as paid cash only his pic to go with
Regardless of the self defence topic, this sounds a great anecdote!. What a 'kin nutter!
So a perv tried to jump on you in the communal pool-side showers in plain view of many? That must have been distressing, but well done knocking him flat. Since kicking him with your bare feet would have been no-go, It's a pity you couldn't stamp on his sternum or neck. I can't envisage any accusation of you over using force in such a terrifying scenario.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Another thought about weapons. Presumably any weapon you have, they could grab it and use it on you.

Had a thought about keys. Mine are on a parcord loop. I've never thought of it as a weapon but I suppose it could be swirled around in self defence. The loop is a good foot long, ie about 2ft of cord. And it has two sets of keys usually, close together.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:22 pm
And why when I was the victim of an attempted mugging I didn't report it and go out the area rapid
'Attempted' mugging implies that he fell on one of your multitude of torches, multiple times :lol: .

Your defence could have been "I'm YA. Everyone knows I carry a maglite, 24/7 in case of power outages"
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:33 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:08 pm a quick jab in someone's throat is going to render them pretty much immobile.
It could kill them. You'd have to prove it was reasonable. How do you prove that they intended to rape you?
But that is where the situation’happens ‘ quickly. My daughters- and wife- were taught how to deal with pervs and scum. Hurt then run. At the same time one has to be aware of the law. And here it is again.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/s ... tion-crime
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:46 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:08 pm a quick jab in someone's throat is going to render them pretty much immobile.
It could kill them. You'd have to prove it was reasonable. How do you prove that they intended to rape you?
But that is where the situation’happens ‘ quickly. My daughters- and wife- were taught how to deal with pervs and scum. Hurt then run. At the same time one has to be aware of the law. And here it is again.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/s ... tion-crime
yes, which is exactly what I would do - hurt and run. As long as i can debiliate them and get away that's all I care about.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Do you truly think that women should allow men to attack them rather than try to defend themselves if it came to that? Roll over and just let it happen? Honestly? That's your HONEST opinion.

Good grief.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

steptoe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:51 am
Mortblanc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:20 am Did you ever consider the fact that you have the wrong dog?

Did you ever consider the fact that there are people that can train your dog to defend you?
Hi why is it the wrong dog and why train a dog to attack or defend .

My point on this is my german shepard he was so soft he ran away fro ma moth and cried when he got lost in the woods and parted from us , he was very soft to the point he and his brother where returned to the breeder because he would not attack , he would not hold a soft toy in his mouth he would juggle it and would never grip , and it was funny he only every twice showed a bad side the first 2 years of owning him making him 3 he would not bark , one day the neighbour on our allotment walked close to him in a flat cap and barbour jacket and he growled and then again at a park one day a man in a flat cap and barbour jacket was close and he growled , hmmm now we know the people that took them tried to trai nthem to attack and when they would not returned them they were for want of a better word hooray henrys , now since our boy died we have looked to get another and i have been offered so many and then it turns out thye are failed police dogs that get the a point and fail some on the ablity to hold some on the the other things now think if you have this trained dog and you take it to a park and left it off the lead and a kid runs past arms waving are you sure that dog will not revert to it's training and run and grab the arm and drag the kid down now do you see why i say WHY train the dog to defend , also if you train a dog to defend and it attacks and you can not control that attack you could find yourself in hot water defence train dogs are a weapon and should not be so eays to buy for the public .
Sorry i hate it when people see dogs as nothing more than a defence or attack tool it is and should be a family member first and formost
I hate it when people over react to every suggestion.
You expressed a concern, made a comment about your dog, I offered a suggestion. If you don't like it don't take it.

No need to make me out a villain for suggesting that a dog can and will protect its pack as a natural behavior. It is one of the reasons they were the first animal we domesticated them 30,000 years ago.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:51 pm
Do you truly think that women should allow men to attack them rather than try to defend themselves if it came to that? Roll over and just let it happen? Honestly? That's your HONEST opinion.

Good grief.
Edit, see next post
Last edited by Frnc on Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

This guy reckons a blow to the throat is unlikely to kill someone, but he says hitting the head is the most effective defence, and explains why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHOJmKJ1YDs
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:37 pm
GeeGee wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:02 pm When the fella jumped on me in the showers at the pool the staff set the drown alarm off and they all came running and some of the men who were in the pool got out screaming at him
I was struggling to get the shampoo out of my face whilst trying to go ape s#it with said nutter and managed to knock him flat ...

He took his trunks off was screaming like a madman and the pool staff were trying to get him away .. he did eventually get out and as paid cash only his pic to go with
Regardless of the self defence topic, this sounds a great anecdote!. What a 'kin nutter!
So a perv tried to jump on you in the communal pool-side showers in plain view of many? That must have been distressing, but well done knocking him flat. Since kicking him with your bare feet would have been no-go, It's a pity you couldn't stamp on his sternum or neck. I can't envisage any accusation of you over using force in such a terrifying scenario.

Yep that's how it happened ..he was a total lunatic and after I had got out of there he was refusing to get any clothes on and the kids swim was after ..the staff did what anyone would do if you saw it on the street ..help ... they had a right time with him ...
I didnt get the grilling..they did ..after police had seen video
I had ruddy shampoo all over and managed to knock him for 6 ...by that time the male swimmers had got out of the pool and ready to jump in
I was long gone out the door and off ...
He didn't care it was a adult swim ..lifeguards ..plenty in pool ..spectator's .. and he generally didn't care
Swimming is my one thing I can do well and I love it ..and my one hour a day I can have me time

The worst thing ?
Not the shakes I got afterwards
Not the fact the poor staff had to deal with it all and then had to justify trying to stop a naked madman
Mr GG ...saying how he felt useless as a husband because of the cancer and not there to help me
I told him hes more of a man than that pervert will ever be...
And I can look after myself
Been swimming today .. but I more aware that even in familiar places things can turn for the worst so I'm more alert now of my environment..wont stop going .not spoiling it for me .