Medical kit for hunting, biking, travel?

Medical and Healthcare
steptoe

Re: Medical kit for hunting, biking, travel?

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:58 pm
Mad Scientist wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:06 pm I was only recalling something told to me by a guy who grew up in rural India. Myself, I’ll stick to my tried and tested St. John’s Ambulance training and my well stocked First Aid kit.
I've done it myself especially on those cracks / knicks on your fingers that keep weeping and don't want to heal now I'm not advocating anyone does it but one of the main ingredients of many skin care lotions and potions is Urea.....

Ok it might not be 100% sterile. But shtf and I get a cut and there is the choice between a muddy puddle and my bladder contents to wash a wound I've got..... I know which I will choose risk Vs risk
Hi andy not read much of the post but if out hunting if i was to in a shtf world i would be carrying wound heal it is much like they use in battle fields you can get large packs or single use packs but for a smallish wound you pour this stuff on squeeze it wrap it and the stuff stops bleeding bit like when mopping up oil it soaks the blood forms a hard scab and stops the bleed as i say the small pack is single use but you could use it over if you get me seal it and so on but i put mine in our packs we have small size first aid kits in grab bags but i also have a major trauma bag that well a surgeon could use if that makes sense we have everything in it and i also have a huge 18" bright orange tool box that is also packed with every type of kit first aid wise , i will say that burn gel you recommend omg how funny i never get burnt and well just the other week not sure how the wife had used the cooker top it is halogen and finished i went out and then felt dizzy put my hand out not knowing she had used it finger tips stuck to the cooker so i got the gel out put it on and put a rubber glove on with more in the finger tips omg what a joy .

Any way just wonder if you knew of the cut stuff it is a must carry if out hunting like a little sugar tube size no reason not to have one in a wallet or mini first aid kit .

this stuff you can get it cheaper and in big bulk amounts
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biolife-WoundS ... 161&sr=8-8
Omega

Post by Omega »

An update - I got myself JFAK. I also found out that I apparently had couple of tourniquets already (one in the car, the other in my bike) and now training to apply them while on meetings
Will take JFAK first time today to the field, currently it is in my bike
Yes, JFAK has hemostatic dressings, but videos I watch suggest hemostatic kit makes some difference maybe in only 15% of emergencies and works at least couple of years post expiry date, so not bothered they will expire soon
Bought a Chinese equivalent of RAT on eBay - no, it does not work well because the cord is too narrow, painful when applied and leaves bruises even through clothes, but does not fully stop the pulse
Omega

Post by Omega »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:13 am Have you had any training in relation to catastrophic bleeding or trauma management..and correct TQ application?

The majority of time a decent trauma bandage and direct pressure can do the trick be it a oales modular, a Israeli or a traumafix

If that fails your then onto hemostatics especially in the case of GSW's

Only time I'd immediately slap a TQ on is a MAJOR jet of blood from an upper limb injury as with the femoral you've got about 40 seconds till all the red stuff leaks out
While going on a training course is useful to many, I prefer watching them online and then get practice - I am practicing applying tourniquets right now at home, each time is a successful application. While learning how to pack/bandage the wound to stop the bleeding is a useful skill too, I do not think I will be in a good condition to do it for myself - watched videos from the current conflict and the wounded usually have enough strength to get our to Red Zone, apply a tourniquet and call for help, that's all
By the way, I found my receipts for tourniquets that I bought 5-7 years ago - wow, the prices at least tripled since then!
While it is a great idea to apply tourniquet within 40 seconds, it depends on many circumstances, many won't depend from the victim. And, from what I saw on video instructions, the blood pressure reduces with its loss, so you start losing less blood as time goes, it may become even very thick. While there is a chance of losing consciousness quickly from bleeding, a person is likely to survive if they got the aid on time