Internet Coverage Extenders - ??

Homes and Retreats
diamond lil

Internet Coverage Extenders - ??

Post by diamond lil »

Not sure what I'm looking for here, but I believe you can buy wee gadgets to extend internet coverage to dead areas not covered by the router. What are they called and how do they work, does anybody know? Husband wants internet in his shed, the router doesn't work beyond the back wall of the house.
jennyjj01

Re: Internet Coverage Extenders - ??

Post by jennyjj01 »

There's Wifi Extenders or Boosters and WiFi Repeaters.
Terminology varies. A repeater plugs into mains near where your signal is getting a bit weak and it receives and retransmits a fresh powerful signal.
Boosters and Extenders receive the connection WIRED back to the router. They MAY use either a network cable or the may signal over the mains wiring.
This page covers it well....

https://www.pcworld.com/article/394979/ ... ained.html

If you only need to get a signal to a wired device, like a TV, then use a pair of HomePlug / Powerline adaptors to use your house mains to get the signal where it's needed.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

We have something that plugs into the socket in the hall. Not sure how much difference it made. Personally I have a wired connection.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks both 8-)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We had the same problem in the shed/man cave and used this setup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
This one is no longer available but there are plenty similar. Just make sure you know if you have chosen a wifi one or wires only.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:37 am Just make sure you know if you have chosen a wifi one or wires only.
Exactly. Will the device you're extending to be using wifi or be cabled in? For non-WiFi devices like the tv, use powerline adaptors. Like these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOY-seaside-v ... 134&sr=8-3

To get a remote WiFi signal, such as to a shed that has mains, use something like these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT- ... 145&sr=8-3
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
korolev

Post by korolev »

Cheap/Easy/Reliable. Pick any two.

I would always go for a wired connection to another router used as an Access Point (as a wise old colleague once said "radio has no place in a fixed network").
Simply turn off DHCP on the AP router. Make sure you use external cat 5/6 as internal isn't UV protected and will break down. Give the AP the same SSID as the home router and devices should swap between the two seamlessly.

In my house I have a router upstairs and a cable running to the workshop/pub in the garden which has an old BT homehub as a second router.

In my experience (which the box of unused bits will attest to) powerline adaptors can be flaky, especially if they are between different circuits or the outlets are fused (ie the outbuilding is fed off a fused spur).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got something similar to this

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1115138

Pairs to the router the. Extends the range from there obviously the plug needs to be in range of the router

Put it in the kitchen, When his dinner is ready just unplug it :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We tried the same wifi extender first but it wasnt able to cover the area we needed. There is power to the shed but all cables have to cross a neighbours garden so addign more did nto seem a good idea. The powerline took a little work choosing the best socket in the house to connect into but now works well for us. As the saying goes "Horses for courses". Choose what works best for you....
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'll come back to it when my brain is feeling better, tyvm!