Dog bark

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Re: Dog bark

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:22 pm My rear is very exposed. The wall at the end of the garden is only low and the other side is public space. Also I noticed some ****** at some time cut my spiky bush! I've planted more spiky bushes but they died so I've planted more but they'll take years to get inpenetrable. I need to do something about the low wall. Don't say stick broken glass in cement, I need something easy and legal. The other side is a school!
Oh my wall has broken glass in it! Some years back we had police looking for someone. They ‘discovered’ the glass in the top of the wall and told me it was illegal etc. I told them to “nick me then”. The subject was dropped . I don’t give a monkeys cuss!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:22 pm My rear is very exposed.
ooh-matron-k.jpg
ooh-matron-k.jpg (21.48 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Frnc wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:22 pm
The wall at the end of the garden is only low and the other side is public space. Also I noticed some ****** at some time cut my spiky bush! I've planted more spiky bushes but they died so I've planted more but they'll take years to get inpenetrable. I need to do something about the low wall. Don't say stick broken glass in cement, I need something easy and legal. The other side is a school!
Plastic none laceration spikes

https://www.easylife.co.uk/product/5m-a ... of-10/6044

Or anti climb paint
https://www.toolstation.com/blackfriar- ... lsrc=aw.ds
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how the bushes grow. I planted five berberis. This time I'll make sure they get watered and also give them a bit of feed. Hopeully I can get a decent inpenetrable thicket. If someone climbs over, they'll have to jump onto them.
I did buy some chicken wire and a coil of galvanised wire. This wasn't to stop intruders, it was to stop people chucking rubbish over. But it might be another deterrent, against casual intruders.
Whoever cut my spiky bush wasn't casual, but I think that was a long time ago. The cuts looked old.
It's almost impossible to keep determined people out. It's terraced houses. You can hop over the wall to either side, or the wall at the back. Someone could get into a different house's garden and from there get into the next garden and so on. Most of them even have gates from one to the next, to get wheelie bins out. Next door but one had a bike nicked from her shed, and next door thought someone had climbed on top of their mini-shed as the roof was cracked. This was right next to our party wall.
When I had a tree removed, they were leaping over the party wall as if it wasn't even there. It is about 4 feet tall. The rear wall is a bit lower.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:50 pm
Plastic none laceration spikes

https://www.easylife.co.uk/product/5m-a ... of-10/6044

Or anti climb paint
https://www.toolstation.com/blackfriar- ... lsrc=aw.ds
[/quote]

LOL andy those spikes we have them all over the garden where i was growing veg to keep the cats off lol until we found them sat onm them lol i put a few under the bird feedign station ot stop the cats being able to hide in the bushs and rush out and get the birds lol yup the cats just sat on them , i know you can get better ones now with more like thin metal spikes keeps pigeons off high rise buildings and such , the anti climb paint i highly recommend lol we lived in a blcok of flats wit ha large enterance bin store at the front the little 8uggers use to put thel ittle kids on the roof they would then climb in the upstaior windows and come down let the bigger kids in to get out of the rain and smoke the weed lol well one night when it was as quiet as a grave yard i went out painted all the top edge surface with anit climb paint omg the screams the next evening they tried to get in lol i will say they moved to another block after that but omg kids covered in the black paint cry and screaming mum will kill me you got to come tell her what happen is all we could hear lol the wife and i sat in thek itchen drinking tea with tears running down our faces
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On that subject steptoe my dad used to work at the ship yard he acquired several tins of genuine 1980's vintage Copaslip anti seize grease... Hyacinth bucket next door complained early January that he had left the Christmas lights up on his tree..it was minus temps snowy and cold . Well the 25w coloured lamps which were close to the boundary fence started going missing ...

Not to be outdone he put new bulbs in but on the end cap where it said general electric 25w BC on the tip he put a metric blob of Copaslip then left them on for about 2 days solid to make his point..

She came round wailing like a deranged demon that her husband "Steve" had gold stuff smeared all over his trousers and she couldn't remove it and who did my dad think he was etc etc let's be fair you get gloop on your hand on site you rub it on the thigh of your finest marks and Spencers twill trousers don't you :lol: :lol: it won't wash out the copper flecks get into the fabric and the grease been used on ships exhaust manifolds can stand something like 1000°c so the average 40°c wash with persil won't quiet cut it :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:09 pm On that subject steptoe my dad used to work at the ship yard he acquired several tins of genuine 1980's vintage Copaslip anti seize grease... Hyacinth bucket next door complained early January that he had left the Christmas lights up on his tree..it was minus temps snowy and cold . Well the 25w coloured lamps which were close to the boundary fence started going missing ...

Not to be outdone he put new bulbs in but on the end cap where it said general electric 25w BC on the tip he put a metric blob of Copaslip then left them on for about 2 days solid to make his point..

She came round wailing like a deranged demon that her husband "Steve" had gold stuff smeared all over his trousers and she couldn't remove it and who did my dad think he was etc etc let's be fair you get gloop on your hand on site you rub it on the thigh of your finest marks and Spencers twill trousers don't you :lol: :lol: it won't wash out the copper flecks get into the fabric and the grease been used on ships exhaust manifolds can stand something like 1000°c so the average 40°c wash with persil won't quiet cut it :twisted:
LMAO omg i remember copperslip i call it my brother in law ran a garage back i nthe day and i use to help out long story left school early shall i say and to keep me out of trouble he took me with him lol , i remember the very firsttiem i used it i was told to smear it on all the wheel nuts and a very thin smear lol so off i set doing it and then i get shouted hey tea up get to the cafe get the rolls now it was the same every order so i rub my hands on a cloth and off to the cafe lol well i went in my pocket for the money lol as i handed it over i remember the guy behind the counter i forget his name , what are you some kind of F****** idoit as he took the money and got the copperslip on him lol that stuff stays on longer than KY gel and do not ask me how i know that but when i hear the snap of rubber gloves and the surgeon say deep breath lol .
But i can say the anti climb paint was still on there when we moved and i mean we were there 12 years lol
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

My dog is ideal as a watchdog, he's medium sized, friendly to everyone but because I'm retired and he's used to me being at home with him, he's incredibly defensive of me and the house.
Anyone approaching the house and he immediately barks and alerts.
In summer I can leave the back door open and he will patrol, between garden and front living room window (I've put a small chest by the window so he can get up onto the windowsill).
Nobody is getting near my house without me knowing.

At night, he sleeps in the lounge and has only ever barked a few times, because a neighbour came home from holiday in the early hours.

He's the ideal dog, because he's loud (his bark makes your ribs rattle lol 🤣) but he wouldn't bite anyone, so I won't get sued or prosecuted.

If anyone needs to back up his alarm, that would be for me to do.

The back garden is secure, if anyone gets in there, they're doing so with bad intentions. So that will dictate my response. In a shtf situation, I wouldn't leave the back door open.