Power banks

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Power banks

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:50 am
korolev wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:39 am On a related note, do you guys keep the power bank plugged in permanently when not in use ?
No purely as I don't trust the battery especially the lipo cell based units

viewtopic.php?p=204938&hilit=Power+bank#p204938

I don't charge them unattended either. Bar solar in the middle of the garden
I am the same.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

There's a few on offer at Argos just now, some good prices
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

rik_uk3 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:19 pm There's a few on offer at Argos just now, some good prices
I just ordered one. Same make as my lodger's but the next one down. 10,000mAh and 194g. It's a compact size I think, because his was pretty small compared to my 450 one. We weighed his at 212g. It is 12,000 mAH.
The one I ordered was on offer at £13.33. It is Juice 3.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Frnc wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:45 pm
rik_uk3 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:19 pm There's a few on offer at Argos just now, some good prices
I just ordered one. Same make as my lodger's but the next one down. 10,000mAh and 194g. It's a compact size I think, because his was pretty small compared to my 450 one. We weighed his at 212g. It is 12,000 mAH.
The Juice 3 is identical to the one I picked up at Lidl last year and work well, good construction.
Richard
South Wales UK
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

rik_uk3 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:33 pm
Frnc wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:45 pm
The Juice 3 is identical to the one I picked up at Lidl last year and work well, good construction.
Just charging it now, I'm chuffed with it.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Don't forget you can still plug things in when the power bank is being charged. I keep one on my desk plugged into charger 24/7 which means I've in effect to two USB power ports on my desk, charge a phone/fan/light sort of thing.
Richard
South Wales UK
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Update: took it back because it only charged my earphones for 30 seconds.

Update 2: My earphones only charge for a few seconds with my other power bank! They only keep charging with the mains! Battery must be dying. They are old.

Update 3. Undid the refund and got my Juice 3 back from Argos.

Update 4. I may as well keep the old earphones for now, as they do charge from mains. No wonder it takes a long time. But I ordered some new earphones so as to be able to charge from the powerbank, and because the old ones are dying.

Got these ordered
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BBFMVQZZ/
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

Frnc wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:37 pm Update: took it back because it only charged my earphones for 30 seconds.

Update 2: My earphones only charge for a few seconds with my other power bank! They only keep charging with the mains! Battery must be dying. They are old.

Update 3. Undid the refund and got my Juice 3 back from Argos.

Update 4. I may as well keep the old earphones for now, as they do charge from mains. No wonder it takes a long time. But I ordered some new earphones so as to be able to charge from the powerbank, and because the old ones are dying.

Got these ordered
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BBFMVQZZ/
Most powerbanks have an "auto off" feature, if the headphones don't draw enough current to keep the circuit "awake", the power bank will turn off.

I've had exactly this problem in the past.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I lost those earphones, so got some new ones that are similar. Like the old ones, they have an extremely annoying habit of turning on voice control, even though it's off in the phone settings. Not only that, but they actually picked a person from my contacts and rang them! Incredibly annoying. I thought about sending them back. but I think if I do nothing (rather than trying to turn voice control off), it will not dial, and will turn itself off after a while. Hopefully. Also I'll have to be careful to only single tap or long tap.