Bio fuel mini stove TRANGIA

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
steptoe

Bio fuel mini stove TRANGIA

Post by steptoe »

well i must say blooming hell this unit is great i have not tested it with the kelly yet but i was dying to test it and just had a little burn in the kitchen and even the wife said wow that tiny little thing is kicking out so much heat , we are well impressed and i think if used right this will be a god send in a SHTF world , this is the type i got and wow

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255638300758 ... R5any6rCYQ
dizzydays

Re: Bio fuel mini stove TRANGIA

Post by dizzydays »

Have to agree! I had a nightmare 6 months following surgery where I had no furniture and no stove for cooking. Fortunately I wasn't able to eat much, but all the food I did manage to eat was cooked on that little trangia. I used it again a few times when I moved into an attic with no cooker but there was a microwave. Little trangia was very carefully used by an open window just a couple of times. Power cuts too - my relatives laugh at me waxing lyrical on the little trangia but its the best bit of equipment imho!
DD
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

dizzydays wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:52 pm Have to agree! I had a nightmare 6 months following surgery where I had no furniture and no stove for cooking. Fortunately I wasn't able to eat much, but all the food I did manage to eat was cooked on that little trangia. I used it again a few times when I moved into an attic with no cooker but there was a microwave. Little trangia was very carefully used by an open window just a couple of times. Power cuts too - my relatives laugh at me waxing lyrical on the little trangia but its the best bit of equipment imho!
DD
I am using bio ethanol in mine as that stuff is for in the fires in houses and so i am hoping a bit better than using meths but i got 4 litres for about £4 a litre but it should last a long long time and as we are going to be fitting a ethanol fire in the living room i am going to be buying the fuel in bulk and storing down the garden so i will have loads .

I was amazed at the heat from just lighting and letting it get going for the first minute the flame was in the centre until the excess fuel burtn off then the little holes came in to effect and it was roaring away , i am going to try putting mine in the base of my kelly kettle to see if it casues like a rocket fire effect up the chimney of that and heats the water , i will time this and see , but again i was amazed the heat that came off such a small thing hence why we have now gone for the woodburning stove look bio ethasnol stove , it says gives off 3kw of heat and in our room should be toasty time will tell i have ot find other ways to heat the house if the heating goes out and no electric.

well again thanks for your input
Omega

Post by Omega »

I have this kit for 15 years now. You can make it as well at home using cans of Cola and beer (you can find on internet) and some basic tools. However, I would say they do not heat water quickly. And you burn quite a bit of alcohol, though perhaps still cheaper than other stoves, except small wood chip ones
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

I've had one of those aluminium pan support and trangia style burner, as per the link, for a number of years (7+ years?)... back then it cost about £8 delivered. Had lots of use out of it, making tea/coffee when out and about. I've replaced the rubber o ring once, after I melted it trying to snuff the stove out - Always use the snuffer/'simmering ring' accessory!

I've gently bent the burner supports inwards by a few mm, so that they support the burner securely, in the middle of the ring and off the ground.

For people considering one of these burners, I'd reccomend a windsheild of some sort, I use one of the "10 plates folding aluminium windshield camping stove wind blocker" styles. Thick aluminium foil doubled or trebbled up would probably also work. The windshield will considerably improve fuel efficiency and reduce boil times.

Do be aware that on dry days or longer cooking periods, if you place the stove on grass, it can catch alight.

The big benefit of the trangia style burner is that unused fuel can be stored in the burner. 'Pop can' or the modern, trendy titanium burners don't have this facility.

Meths seems to have gone up quite a lot in price over the last 3-4 years, sadly running the alcohol stove is not as cheap as it used to be!

This website is a wealth of information for alcohol stoves, includes design to build your own:

https://zenstoves.net/
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Thanks all i am hoping to settle in the garden this weekend with the woodburner roaring and a big back of marshmellows for her royal highness lol , i am thinking i will pop the burner inside the kelly kettle base as that way no fuel in base of the kelly and i am going to try and see as my thinking is the little alco burner in the kelly bottome and there is the air hole at the sie of the kelly base i am hoping it might act like a little rocket type stove and boil the water but i will be takign a timer out as well we are now looking at other ways to do cooking heating and lights we just had a energy bill and it has jumped over 100% so not sure how thye say no big jumps we use to pay around the £1200 a year for both gas and elec just 2 of us in a 2 bed house alw3ays energy minded as we turn every thing off before bed not the fridge and freezer , our bill has just come at with the way we are rounning thye now say we will be using £2500 a year and that we should cut back on our usage lol , now i am getting mad as hell they say we are all facing it nope the rich just say oh write it off against my next tax bill onthe company and stuff like that while use down here that worked all louyr lives until injury stops us and ill health stopped my wife in the end from working hmmm well we have to now look at cutting back more how do we do this , well here is hoping the kelly trick works i can boil it twice a day and fill madams 2 large jug flasks then put the wooly hats on them and she has hot drinking water all day i hope lol .

Well all thanks for all the heads up have a great weekend and if i do the garden burn i will do photos