Is ,or has, anyone used their preps in a full- on way?

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: Is ,or has, anyone used their preps in a full- on way?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:50 am She had gone down stairs to get ready for work (I got a yellow stickered tiger loaf from the shop last night thinking nice toast this morning) she managed to slip with the bread knife and even though it's not razor sharp it left an impressive cut only stopped when it hit her finger nail ....

This is what most prepping is, dealing with the little feck ups or bumps in the road but that then also helps in a big shtf as you've got stuff to deal with issues that crop up
I hope the bread was OK. :lol:

Steristrips save lots of A&E time. Well done.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Hope Mrs Andy and the bread are doing well ..yes I have more stuff here than the a and e dept ! With my blood problem ..vonwillebrands and Mr GG with his blood we a right pair ! Tiger bread has been the cause of many cuts in our house too !

Using preps . Came in useful today ...front foor flung open grandson stood there..with his backpack .. all grown up obv with the Teddy stuck out of the top...mum text as door opened ..think he's run away to yours let me know when he arrives ! ..( they live on end of street hes 11 )
Can I sleep here GG tonight .. ah why not give mum a break keep grandad occupied ..
Agreed with mum then he asked for dinner
Into preps cupboard..what will a 11 year old miserable sod want for dinner ..packet of pizza bases . Tomato puree ..cheese in the freezer and a tin of spam ..had a great time making home made pizza and throwing too much cheese on
Had a tin of chicken breast and some bread that needed eating and made own chicken nuggets
Misery guts is now happy and full
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:43 pm Hope Mrs Andy and the bread are doing well ..yes I have more stuff here than the a and e dept ! With my blood problem ..vonwillebrands and Mr GG with his blood we a right pair ! Tiger bread has been the cause of many cuts in our house too !

Using preps . Came in useful today ...front foor flung open grandson stood there..with his backpack .. all grown up obv with the Teddy stuck out of the top...mum text as door opened ..think he's run away to yours let me know when he arrives ! ..( they live on end of street hes 11 )
Can I sleep here GG tonight .. ah why not give mum a break keep grandad occupied ..
Agreed with mum then he asked for dinner
Into preps cupboard..what will a 11 year old miserable sod want for dinner ..packet of pizza bases . Tomato puree ..cheese in the freezer and a tin of spam ..had a great time making home made pizza and throwing too much cheese on
Had a tin of chicken breast and some bread that needed eating and made own chicken nuggets
Misery guts is now happy and full

She's fine all thanks ...

Love the little run away :lol: yep with a 12year old pizza / nuggets and that's about all she wants... Oh and haribo
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

jansman wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:35 am Well we aren’t all gonna fall out about it - I hope. ;)
NEVER! :mrgreen: PREP ON!
korolev

Post by korolev »

Without going in to the gory details, last week I was away visiting relatives and I caught something like norovirus off one of the kids (found out they'd had a it the day before we arrived :roll: ).
I always pack an extra couple of days clothing (pants/socks/t-shirts) and I was very glad I did as the night before we were due to come home I had a rather "lively" time of things.
Incidentally, when packing I often joke to the mrs "extra pair in case I have an accident"
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

korolev wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:37 am Without going in to the gory details, last week I was away visiting relatives and I caught something like norovirus off one of the kids (found out they'd had a it the day before we arrived :roll: ).
I always pack an extra couple of days clothing (pants/socks/t-shirts) and I was very glad I did as the night before we were due to come home I had a rather "lively" time of things.
Incidentally, when packing I often joke to the mrs "extra pair in case I have an accident"
Always wise. And carry Imodium Instants. An alternative, or as well as, is to have fast drying clothes. When I went to Japan for 3 weeks I took a pair of jeans, but I needn't have bothered. Almost every day I wore my stretch nylon walking/travel trousers. These will dry in a couple of hours (if spun, bit longer if hand washed). Obviously don't put them in a dryer! Unfortunately Regatta stopped making these and I lost 3 stone, but they do have some similar ones called Highton. I also have some Amazon ones that are pretty good. These all have several zipped pockets and are ultra comfortable for travelling. I think side zipped pockets are essential for a phone. Even better is a side hip phone pocket but these are very rare. I'm less bothered about zips on hand pockets because I would have my keys on paracord attached to a belt loop. Obviously I want my wallet in a zipped pocket, but it can go in the left side thigh pocket. In fact the Amazon ones have two zipped pockets on each thigh, one on top of the other.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Have used my preps on several occasions, when hiccups have happened in my finances or ill health or just life throwing you a wobbly. I've always been very glad they were there. Never had to go full blown prepping - yet.
I do use the contents of my freezer ( big chest) from time to time so that I use up stuff before the dates get too near. It's amazing what you find when it's a bit emptier and you have room to rummage :o . After about a month of eating from it I can refill with newer stuff and create space for baking and batch cooking. It's more of a spring cleaning thing than prepping .
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I'm just going to refer everyone back to this thread again.

https://uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18139
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

GeeGee wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:43 pm ..had a great time making home made pizza and throwing too much cheese on
I'm not understanding that part
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

When you sayy to the 11 year old go easy on the cheese and you find its covered the whole pizza ..tray..window sill and worktop
Still had a good time tho ..

Talking of preps seems now the circumstances have changed so has the stuff I buy
We dont eat as much as we used to and tastes have changed
Like jansman we've reduced to one walk in pantry
Got rid of one freezer
Long life staples are the stuff on the shelves now pasta rice beans tinned fish that we like
Been fun using up what we did have but we are buying differently now