Radiation - war

Medical and Healthcare
GillyBee

Re: Radiation - war

Post by GillyBee »

I had a hand made one just after Chernobyl. My boss had designed it for the company to showcase the new components and gave me the task od making one up as a training project. Sadly it no longer works and I can't afford a new tube. I used to take it to Sainsbury's to check the lamb joints :lol:
You do need different detectors for different types of radiation. Neutrons are only detectable if you encase your geiger counter in 6 inches of solid polythene. It has more effect on them than concrete.
They might be useful if you are a long way from the bang to detect & avoid "hot spots" but one is not currently on my "need" list.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well as Del Boy would say how many batteries do we need lol
Me i will do as andy has said but i would be looking to move from the area and get to the valleys or the highlands but again it is a we do not know situation , we can have stuff ready masks filter you name it but again you need to move as far away from it and well it would be a suck it and see as no one really knows and not many have lived through it , just look at japan or chernobyl .

I will say chemical suits and filters have jumped in price
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

steptoe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:53 am

They jumped up during COVID

NBc suits are about a tenner on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303162551440 ... HQQAvD_BwE
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:23 am
steptoe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:53 am

They jumped up during COVID

NBc suits are about a tenner on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303162551440 ... HQQAvD_BwE
Wow they really have dropped i had not checked in a long time we have all we need lol , i have been looking at those re-breathers of late but note sure how good they are ,
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

What sort of masks would anyone recommend?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:41 pm What sort of masks would anyone recommend?
What ever fits your face it's pointless buying a £300 mask only for it not to fit your face and leak you might as well use a cut down plastic bottle ;)

Brands like Avon (mod supplier)

Sabre

JSP

Drager

Sundsrom all make decent masks
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Plenty of vitamins especially C as it helps repair you. Defending yourself from the inside, too.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:41 pm What sort of masks would anyone recommend?
P3 is very good level of protection. If you watch some old documentaries from Chernobyl, you will see people used there anti dust respirators "Rodnik" or "Istok", they were P1 or P2. And cover as much area as possible - radioactive dust likes to settle in hair, for example. Though you can get away with a cap. Covering eye - probably you can get away with swim goggles, but wash lenses with dishwashing soap inside them first to prevent steaming up
You will need to wash yourself once you were exposed
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Was watching Spooks last night, about a dirty bomb, or series of them, in the UK. The goverment helicopters (escaping contamination to a bolt-hole) crashed, as did the royals', so MI5 took over trying to run the country. Most comms were down. Most of the south east was contaminated. MI5 boss was contaminated and isolated.
Of course it was obvious it would turn out to be a drill.
They managed to tell a city in Scotland to try to get their citizens to evacuate.
It was interesting. I assume it was based on scenarios that emergency services plan for. They got in touch with a firefighter holed up near the initial blast. MI5 had suits and masks, but they were deemed to be useless. However they were in a sealed room. They were soon running out of water and food.
Omega

Post by Omega »

To my knowledge, there is no medication against radiation. Drinking alcohol (there is believe in Eastern Europe that it helps) won't help
Iodine is merely to stop you collecting radiation in your throat