Radiation - war

Medical and Healthcare
Moorland Prepper

Radiation - war

Post by Moorland Prepper »

An article in The Mail caught my attention:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... kpile.html

When they started shelling the nuclear power station in The Ukraine I got somePotassium Iodide tablets but I've not thought about anything else and wouldn't know where to start.

Anyone any ideas of a few basic things to do? I'm more concerned about an accident or dirty bomb than full scale nuclear war (game over then).
GillyBee

Re: Radiation - war

Post by GillyBee »

Assuming you are outside of any immediate blast area, the big risk will be fall out. A lot of this wil be in the form of radioactive dust in the air. This will get breathed in and contaminate food and water. So anything that will help protect you from the impact of that would be useful. Eg enough clean food and water to avoid or at least delay using the contaminated stuff. Masks and overalls to keep the dust away from your lungs and skin. A way to create a protected area in your house with filtered ventilation.
There is another thread on here that goes into more details for creating shelter against a bomb which is worth looking at too.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I confess, I've been wondering about this. Not in terms of a full-scale nuclear war, but if "they" somehow managed to contain it and it stayed regional - there'd be European fallout, after all Chernobyl, also in Ukraine, fallout really affected livestock in some areas of the UK. The BBC says controls were only lifted in 2012: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17472698.

A lot of deletion going on here :shock: okay, that's all I'm going to write. There's a thousand books and articles, and Yorkshire Andy's given us some great links there.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:26 pm When they started shelling the nuclear power station in The Ukraine I got somePotassium Iodide tablets but I've not thought about anything else and wouldn't know where to start.
Me too, I couldn't get the appropriate tablets, but managed to get some crystals and drops. They offer limited protection to adults if you can even get the dosage right.
Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:46 pm I confess, I've been wondering about this. Not in terms of a full-scale nuclear war, but if "they" somehow managed to contain it and it stayed regional - there'd be European fallout, after all Chernobyl, also in Ukraine, fallout really affected livestock in some areas of the UK. The BBC says controls were only lifted in 2012: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17472698.

A lot of deletion going on here :shock: okay, that's all I'm going to write.
Redaction why? Strong political opinion as related to this? Or maybe conspiracy thoughts? Surely NOT mistrust of the authorities? :)

There's radiation and radiation. Anything with long half life, we might as well just live and die with it. I understand that for alpha radiation from fallout, a box of FFP3 masks might be more useful.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:59 pm
Moorland Prepper wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:26 pm When they started shelling the nuclear power station in The Ukraine I got somePotassium Iodide tablets but I've not thought about anything else and wouldn't know where to start.
Me too, I couldn't get the appropriate tablets, but managed to get some crystals and drops. They offer limited protection to adults if you can even get the dosage right.
Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:46 pm I confess, I've been wondering about this. Not in terms of a full-scale nuclear war, but if "they" somehow managed to contain it and it stayed regional - there'd be European fallout, after all Chernobyl, also in Ukraine, fallout really affected livestock in some areas of the UK. The BBC says controls were only lifted in 2012: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17472698.

A lot of deletion going on here :shock: okay, that's all I'm going to write.
Redaction why? Strong political opinion as related to this? Or maybe conspiracy thoughts? Surely NOT mistrust of the authorities? :)

There's radiation and radiation. Anything with long half life, we might as well just live and die with it. I understand that for alpha radiation from fallout, a box of FFP3 masks might be more useful.

Alpha and beta can be reasonably easy to protect from heavy clothing p3 mask goggles and gloves / boots
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:10 pm Alpha and beta can be reasonably easy to protect from heavy clothing p3 mask goggles and gloves / boots
Yes. Just got to keep them outside of our bodies. Don't ingest or inhale. First we need to know that the causative decaying element is present. Indicators include Bright flashes, mushroom clouds and really loud bangs.
And let's hope it's not cobalt 60.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:59 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:46 pm A lot of deletion going on here :shock: okay, that's all I'm going to write.
Because I'm not as pithy as you (though I'm trying to be) and I'd be writing a bleeping book :lol:

ETA - see, I'm learning :mrgreen:
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

It will probably come down to
1, How close you are to the bang.

2, If it a small exchange or they set the whole lot off.
If all sides decide to use every last one, I think the best prep is always tell those you care about that you love them all the time. I doubt you would be leaving a bunker in your life time.
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

Anyone any thoughts on a Geiger Counter?

Anyone got one?