Cash or card?

For all things financial
Rusty74

Re: Cash or card?

Post by Rusty74 »

always cash with me i will not even have one of them contactless cards either
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Make the most of cash stuffing - four tips, in a minute https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64321892

Looks like the Yanks are trending towards cash…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:44 am Make the most of cash stuffing - four tips, in a minute https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64321892

Looks like the Yanks are trending towards cash…
Plenty of these cash stuffing exercises on you tube.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hobo wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:53 am I prefer cash, and spend locally where possible. That’s usually day-to-day stuff such as groceries. Bigger purchases are usually online by debit card. I also use real people at the tills! For their jobs and my own mental health - Life is isolating enough already 😀
I set a budget and roughly stick to it but don’t record every transaction. I’m probably a few quid out by the end of the month.
Don't go to our local Asda then :lol:

They push you onto the self service tills I blew my top just after lockdown over it and a particularly rude member of staff..

I also left about 6 years ago with a microwave that I had paid for still with its security belt on the box as ten minutes asking for help no one bothered so I walked out holding the reciept up to the security guard as I left he didn't Bat an eyelid he'd stood watching me at the till pressing the help button etc. Pair of side cutters removed it and Mr lump hammer stopped it beeping

And the wife who has a string of ailments walked out leaving a full trolly at the self service and they refused t open a normal till and walked out in tears
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:22 am
hobo wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:53 am I prefer cash, and spend locally where possible. That’s usually day-to-day stuff such as groceries. Bigger purchases are usually online by debit card. I also use real people at the tills! For their jobs and my own mental health - Life is isolating enough already 😀
I set a budget and roughly stick to it but don’t record every transaction. I’m probably a few quid out by the end of the month.

They push you onto the self service tills I blew my top just after lockdown over it and a particularly rude member of staff..

I also left about 6 years ago with a microwave that I had paid for still with its security belt on the box as ten minutes asking for help no one bothered so I walked out holding the reciept up to the security guard as I left he didn't Bat an eyelid he'd stood watching me at the till pressing the help button etc. Pair of side cutters removed it and Mr lump hammer stopped it beeping

And the wife who has a string of ailments walked out leaving a full trolly at the self service and they refused t open a normal till and walked out in tears
It's a bit hit and miss with staff at supermarkets, even with the same supermarket. Worst I had was when I used to get my prescriptions via Sainsbury's pharmacy. Every time they'd mess it up, blame the doctors', be rude, take ages to look for it, not find it, generally be rubbish. So glad I get them delivered now, free, and ordering them takes a couple of seconds (Pharmacy2U).

One thing that annoys me, some staff at self service if you have whisky with a tag. They come along to tell the machine you are over 18. They go away. You pay for the stuff. You don't start packing because the whisky still has a tag. And you want to pack that first because it's a heavy item. The salesperson knows it needs detagging. They could have done it when they verified your age. BUT THEY DON'T TRUST YOU. Others do, but they don't. Or they are trained differently. But they know it needs doing, like, 10 seconds later. But now they are seeing to someone else. And then someone else. You could stand there all day! So you have to start waving at them to tell the the obvious. This is all quite annoying.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

the microwave has made me chuckle :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well andy you little thug lol , i once went to the help desk when no tills working just self service and said will i get my wages this week and the lady laughed i said no well if i am going to do all the work of a cashier do i not get the wages but they all know me as the total fool so we just laguhed but it i true , if we have to do the work do we not get the pay of a staff member .

As to cash or card we do cash always online we can't but shops cash is king for us but a couple of places have refused sayign card only , but if i can cash is the one thing i feel safe with because that is one of the ways the wife and i have no debt at all not a pennt to anyone do we owe .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

steptoe wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:47 pm

Well andy you little thug lol , i once went to the help desk when no tills working just self service and said will i get my wages this week and the lady laughed i said no well if i am going to do all the work of a cashier do i not get the wages but they all know me as the total fool so we just laguhed but it i true , if we have to do the work do we not get the pay of a staff member .

As to cash or card we do cash always online we can't but shops cash is king for us but a couple of places have refused sayign card only , but if i can cash is the one thing i feel safe with because that is one of the ways the wife and i have no debt at all not a pennt to anyone do we owe .

If it gets any worse you'll be the one tipping the lorry and restocking the shelves before they let you do a weekly shop :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:51 am
One thing that annoys me, some staff at self service if you have whisky with a tag. They come along to tell the machine you are over 18. They go away. You pay for the stuff. You don't start packing because the whisky still has a tag. And you want to pack that first because it's a heavy item. The salesperson knows it needs detagging. They could have done it when they verified your age. BUT THEY DON'T TRUST YOU. Others do, but they don't. Or they are trained differently.
I think it's company policy that the items are not de-tagged till paid for at one of the main retailers.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Bijela wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:42 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:51 am
One thing that annoys me, some staff at self service if you have whisky with a tag. They come along to tell the machine you are over 18. They go away. You pay for the stuff. You don't start packing because the whisky still has a tag. And you want to pack that first because it's a heavy item. The salesperson knows it needs detagging. They could have done it when they verified your age. BUT THEY DON'T TRUST YOU. Others do, but they don't. Or they are trained differently.
I think it's company policy that the items are not de-tagged till paid for at one of the main retailers.
Had it at Aldi today. Normally it's Sainsbury's, but not all staff. I wouldn't mind if they said "I'm afraid it's company policy not to detag until you've paid" and then looked over a minute later to see if you're ready. But they never do. I've tried just standing there, they never come back. You have to wave your arms around like you're guiding an aircraft in. Some even act surprised, as if the tag appeared by magic since they verified you.