What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Gee-gee

Bookmark this link

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/ ... ng%20times.

Hope you won't need it but if tye insurance man starts been a pest show him the screen :geek: mate of mine had big issues with his car insurance after a bit of bambi bouncing off the bonnet action they dragged their heels for a few weeks and we're less than helpful... Told him to drop the above into his next phonecall rant and within 20 minutes they were that worried he'd set the wolves some manager rung back groveling them they might have well invited him to the insurance cos Christmas party and despite the garage been booked up and no courtesy car available well one arrived the next morning and a low loader to take his car in to be fixed which was amazing done in 3 days...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Thank you everybody ..those words will get me through
And thank you Yorkshire Andy I've bookmarked it as I'm expecting it
ForgeCorvus dont even risk it under the pipes its just not worth it believe me find a safer secret place away from anything potentially liable to flood and carry it away.. the power of water is immense and it can happen to anyone

Lost everything downstairs nothing survived except the wood burner which is being fed logs non stop to dry the place out
The preps in summer came in useful
But had camping stove food documents even spare kitty food upstairs where I stash so thats great
Medications are now also going to be moved there
Plenty bottled water In as all water off until the pipe sorted
And the hozelock is out again..I did get fed up of it went to pool to get a shower 😆
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:29 pm Thank you everybody ..those words will get me through
And thank you Yorkshire Andy I've bookmarked it as I'm expecting it
ForgeCorvus dont even risk it under the pipes its just not worth it believe me find a safer secret place away from anything potentially liable to flood and carry it away.. the power of water is immense and it can happen to anyone

Lost everything downstairs nothing survived except the wood burner which is being fed logs non stop to dry the place out
The preps in summer came in useful
But had camping stove food documents even spare kitty food upstairs where I stash so thats great
Medications are now also going to be moved there
Plenty bottled water In as all water off until the pipe sorted
And the hozelock is out again..I did get fed up of it went to pool to get a shower 😆
Your getting your money's worth out the hoselock :lol: :twisted:

Did this a few years ago

https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/vie ... ix#p199716

jansman

Post by jansman »

GeeGee your situation is unimaginable,and I truly feel for you both. A thought crossed my mind when insurance delay was hinted at.
About 25 or so years ago my wife had to have tendons repaired and was in a wheelchair for a while. It was this time of year and I took her Christmas shopping,and when we got back the house was flooded. Basically,the tank had burst and the water kept coming.
Long and short,the insurance company were not swift. I rang again about three days later and informed them that my wife was in a wheelchair,and eldest daughter an acute asthmatic. It did the job.That afternoon they turned up and the wheels started turning fast.
If you * need* to push them,I am sure Hubby would be glad for you to mention his health situation to push the job forward.
I do hope things straighten out soon.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Oh GeeGee! I'm glad you still able to smile at your own secret stash of torches etc :) Sending positive vibes - keep warm and here's hoping for a sensible and fast resolution insurance wise. So sorry you're having to deal with this ontop of everything else. xx
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:24 pm Oh GeeGee! I'm glad you still able to smile at your own secret stash of torches etc :) Sending positive vibes - keep warm and here's hoping for a sensible and fast resolution insurance wise. So sorry you're having to deal with this ontop of everything else. xx
Thank you..the hard part has hit now ..no ceiling no floors no oven hob extractor fan ..everything electrical gone no tiles on walls no worktop and a couple of kitchen units hanging off
Living room has the camp stoves kettle and toaster bought for us ..and a microwave ..
The smell is awful ..drying it out is as bad
We managed to get the chemo replaced as it was floating in the water and the guys at the tip have turned a few blind eyes to the amount I've been down with as I took them loads if chocolate
I've been chopping wood and feeding it into the wood burner like a steam train ..have various gas heaters on all over the house with windows wide open trying to dry it out ..the gas canisters I bought in summer have certainly been used ..
The food storage I had with the freeze dried veg has come in handy to make sure MrGG has some form of goodness with his meals .. albeit the packet stuff and the bottled water too ..so the preps are coming in very useful
No sofa as it was floating the garden chair that reclines is in its place 🙄
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

GeeGee do you have access to a local food bank or community shop? You really dont have to be on benefits well certainly not around here to access help (obviously I have no idea of your financial situation and do not intend to pry or offend). You might also be able to access support from your local council via social prescribers. Your situation is pretty damned awful so please do not be too proud to seek or accept help even if it is just short term whilst you get things repaired/fixed/replaced even if you are a prepper!
Growing old disgracefully!
deckard

Post by deckard »

GeeGee, thoughts with you. Worth checking the "alternative accomodation" cover on your home policy if you've no bathroom or kitchen.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:28 pm
PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:24 pm Oh GeeGee! I'm glad you still able to smile at your own secret stash of torches etc :) Sending positive vibes - keep warm and here's hoping for a sensible and fast resolution insurance wise. So sorry you're having to deal with this ontop of everything else. xx
Thank you..the hard part has hit now ..no ceiling no floors no oven hob extractor fan ..everything electrical gone no tiles on walls no worktop and a couple of kitchen units hanging off
Living room has the camp stoves kettle and toaster bought for us ..and a microwave ..
The smell is awful ..drying it out is as bad
We managed to get the chemo replaced as it was floating in the water and the guys at the tip have turned a few blind eyes to the amount I've been down with as I took them loads if chocolate
I've been chopping wood and feeding it into the wood burner like a steam train ..have various gas heaters on all over the house with windows wide open trying to dry it out ..the gas canisters I bought in summer have certainly been used ..
The food storage I had with the freeze dried veg has come in handy to make sure MrGG has some form of goodness with his meals .. albeit the packet stuff and the bottled water too ..so the preps are coming in very useful
No sofa as it was floating the garden chair that reclines is in its place 🙄

Does your gas stove use these ?
Screenshot_20231222-231910.png

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Those are the little guys yes Yorkshire Andy
Deckard unfortunately when Mr GG has to give up work we lost two wages one from him one from me to look after him
The policy wasn't great ..we are taking off for a few days tomorrow over yorks andys way if there's a power cut ill just follow all the light to his house illuminated with the the torches 😂 and scoff his dinner
Its something but not great but no cover for alt accommodation so check your policies everyone ..as when you're skint you do tend to do the cheapest..and Medusa the local food bank came to me bless them ..but as I cant cook a awful lot of stuff I asked them to make sure that the people theyre feeding over Xmas got it .. other half is like Jansman now ..can only have certain foods and the ruddy stuff was in the fridge and freezer that somehow ended up full of the debris and water as it was directly under rha bulk of ceiling and water

The solar panels on the shed have come in useful been able to charge up the phones and lanterns and chargers when we eventually get right and sell up theyre coming with us ..
This is going to teach me a lot about how my preps work how I can make it more effective prepping
Also teach me to turn the water off when I go out ...been on holidays abroad in the past and left it on ...
Its not until you look for something that you realise its gone out of all the stuff I have lost and its in the thousands my washing basket ..cant find it anywhere
Probably in the tip full of rubbish ..been wheeling the suitcase to laundrette ..when the masses have stopped raiding the shops I will go buy one !
First job in the new year is plumber and flooring for bathroom and go from there

Hope you all have a good Christmas...
Read your small print on your policies ..and make sure your stop tap is accessible...
Strangely enough as ill as he is the other half is coping
He was a plasterer for 40 yr ...cant do it now but it'll be interesting when we get someone in to do that kitchen ..needs to be right 😅