What temperature do you have your house.

Homes and Retreats
Frnc

Re: What temperature do you have your house.

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:16 pm The sheer mass of older construction tends to hold the warmth once it's warmed up. Ours is a 1920's brick built cavity construction with the cavity insulated and the inner brick skin does seem to help keep the place warm.
Correct. Brick holds heat, but it is also a heat conductor, so it needs to be insulated on the outside, which your inner skin is. But it shouldn't be insulated on the inside, which plaster may or may not do. Dry lining certainly would, to some extent at least.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Jansman, yes, hospitals can be too hot. I remember one nurse saying that the heating "needed" to be on in high summer because of the patients who couldn't warm up by exercising. She was surprised (I think, her jaw dropped) when I said that at the hospital where I trained (back in the dark ages) the heating came on on 10th October and went off again on 10th April and went off at night.
Having said that, one year I had the misfortune to spend a few days in hospital at the beginning of January and the ward I was on had no heating! This was in a brand new Private Finance Initiative hospital as well. I never did find out the reason behind the lack of heating but I suppose the ward benefitted from heat from the floors above and below.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Just a little aside. If you suspect certain walls/floors/windows/doors/ceilings are sucking heat from your house, you can measure the surface temperature with a digital infra-red thermometer that works from several meters away, so you can just walk round pointing and clicking.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071NBJJ2Q/

I think it's pretty accurate, it reads within 0.3° of a digital thermometer on the landing, reading off an internal wall nearby. External double glazed windows downstairs read about 15.5 to 16.5 at the moment. It's 9° outside. Spare room reads about 15.5 to 16.5, hardly any heating on in there.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

This topic has reminded me of the carvers shop at the company I used to work at ( all gone now) . It was always very hot in there , I never saw a thermometer in there but it was probably in the upper 20's and there was sometimes a heater on even in summer. I really don't know why they had it so hot or how they stuck it...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Spent the night a year ago in A&E with t'other half and it was baltic. The staff were either shivering or ignoring the bare below the elbow rules and wearing fleeces. They were struggling to find enough blankets for the patients and SO's like myself just froze. I was so glad to take him home in the morning to warm up.
I guess our local hospital couldnt afford the gas even before it went up....
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Have had a thermometer on the landing the last few days. I put it there because the hall radiator came on and the landing seemed warmer than necessary. It was about 18.8. I turned the TRV down and as far as I know the radiator's not come on since then. The temperature on the landing stayed above 18 for a couple of days and is now 17.4. So it's only dropped 1.5 over several days.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Our downstairs consists of (front to back) lounge, dining room, kitchen, inner hall with bathroom and downstairs toilet off and into the utility. We have underfloor heating in the inner hallway, toilet and bathroom with the thermostat in the hallway. Today I read the thermostat for the first time before lighting the woodburners at 16.5 degrees. The utility room is what would have been the original coal house and outside privvy, single skinned, lots of air bricks and quite cold (1930's house). We have cladded the door way wall and the ceiling but difficult to do the outside back wall due to the oil boiler pipe work. When we have the oil heating on the room is somewhat warmer due to the boiler being in there but we have not used it much this year. We tend to sit in the lounge and dining room in the evening so don't count the utility room and we don't really notice the temperature in there unless it is windy as it blows a hooly through the air bricks but don't shut the door because the cat needs access. Still need to buy thermometers for the rest of the house.
Growing old disgracefully!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Medusa wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:36 pm Still need to buy thermometers for the rest of the house.
I got these. cheap as chips and they include humidity monitor. They're self adhesive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PAIRIER-Thermo ... 09S6TWGNT/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Landing reading 18.1. Hall rad is cold. So the only heat is from living room, downstairs lodger's room, or my room, when doors are opened. Living room stat set to 17.5, TRV on max (has been for a few days after reluctantly giving in to recommended practice). My room is 19.8 so I turned the stat down. Outside is 12, 11 warmer than average. Heating is hardly required. I expect my gas use to be about 20% of what is was on the coldest days we had in December (-11).
Summer 9kWh per day
Coldest days (-11 in the early morning) 100 kWh per day
Expect today to be around 20kWh. Heating warmed up living room 1.0 degree this morning, 16.5 to 17.5.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I’ve been reading about heating,costs, what folks accept or feel is what is socially acceptable etc.

Right now , January,it’s 12 degree outside. I consider that warm. So does my wife. Country People I reckon. Reading as I have,I really think people would consider us both either uncivilised or rather thrift concious! :lol: Back door is open for the animals,windows open for airflow. Wearing thin layers of clothing,and absolutely quite warm. I’ll light one of the stoves later ,about 3 pm. That’ll do .

Sure we are conscious of cost ,and have to be as our income has fallen massively,but we can afford to use fuel nevertheless. It really makes me wonder how wasteful and lavish folks expect to be and then whinge when it costs more . Hey Ho!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.