Has everyone coped with the extreme cold?>

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: Has everyone coped with the extreme cold?>

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:22 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:59 am
grenfell wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:39 am

True but how would even the most caring politician put the same message across?
It's stating the obvious really. If you can't afford much or any heating, of course you will be wearing as much clothes as possible. There are people who went through that cold spell recently wearing several layers and getting under the duvet, with no heating.
If people want to wear almost nothing and spend a fortune on heating, that''s up to them, but there is the climate crisis to consider as well. And of course they are contributing to higher gas and electricity prices by pushing up demand.
It is obvious and common sense but how many politicians are going down the other route and calling for more government handouts to help people pay their heating bills. We have , I believe , similar political views ( but don't wish to go too deep there) and I'm not against taxation but taxing energy companies just to hand the money out for people to pay their electric and gas bills isn't sustainable and verges on maddness. I still believe dropping the idea of TEQ's was misguided.
I'm reminded of a post on another forum a few years ago shortly after he Grenfell tower fire. It was a crass comment to be honest and went along the lines of " looking at the cost of the insulation it would have been cheaper just to give a grand to each of the residents to pay their bills". As if money solves everything and everything else , climate , resource depletion etc can just be ignored.
A lot of points there.
In my opinion the government should be insulating our homes and work places, and this should have neen happening for the last 40 years. You cannot do a Victorian house properly on your own. Ideally they need insulating on the OUTSIDE, and this will ruin the look. A difficult one. But new build regs, cavity wall insulation and loft topups are no brainers. Even a big spend on Victorian houses would pay for itself eventually.

The energy price doesn't have to be so high. The oil and gas extractors are making massive profits at the expense of the public and all other companies and businesses. They are harming the rest of the economy. Windfall tax or nationalisation would solve some of that. They have taxed them a bit and given us some towards the excessive prices. £4280 is the price without govt scheme. It's just not affordable to pensioners or low income families. It's more than triple what it was a year ago.

Global warming is probably or possibly going to annihilate modern civilisation. The politicians will never do what's needed. The future is 8 degrees, a bigger swing than the ice age. This will last for thousands of years. Already with 1.2° we've seen heat waves, forest fires, drought, flood, and perversely, extreme cold due to the polar votex weakening.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Totally agreed with the insulation angle and using a windfall tax would seem a sensible approach in my eyes. Spending the tax take to build resilience.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Maybe the said politician thought we were all of the same IQ as he is. But we are not, so there was no need to tell freezing people to put on an extra jumper. They already have. :evil:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:09 pm Maybe the said politician thought we were all of the same IQ as he is. But we are not, so there was no need to tell freezing people to put on an extra jumper. They already have. :evil:
That’ll be it! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:09 pm Maybe the said politician thought we were all of the same IQ as he is. But we are not, so there was no need to tell freezing people to put on an extra jumper. They already have. :evil:
This in the same world where take away coffee has warnings that it's hot , knives warning they are sharp and pretty much everything coming with ( seemingly obvious?)instructions. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lawsuit along the lines of "my client suffered hypothermia because they were never told to put a jumper on"....
But the question still stands. How do you run a campaign to convince people to turn the heating down and wear more clothes without coming across as patronising or uncaring?
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:28 am
This in the same world where take away coffee has warnings that it's hot , knives warning they are sharp and pretty much everything coming with ( seemingly obvious?)instructions. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lawsuit along the lines of "my client suffered hypothermia because they were never told to put a jumper on"....
But the question still stands. How do you run a campaign to convince people to turn the heating down and wear more clothes without coming across as patronising or uncaring?
The number of politicians who care is very small! The media doesn't care. Corporations don't care. The system doesn't care.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

To uncaring you could add that the number of politicians who understand is very small too.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

[/quote]
The number of politicians who care is very small! The media doesn't care. Corporations don't care. The system doesn't care.
[/quote]

And that is the heart of the problem. Anyone living on the sharp end is quite clear that TPTB don't care about them. And that is a recipe for a right civil mess. I don't envy anyone in government of any party who has to try to make the country work at the moment. We need people like Lord Woolton (WW2 Minister for Food) who had a combination background of social work AND business lead who can bridge the divide between the haves making decisions and the have-nots who must live with those decisions.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

And had half decent pies too...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:24 pm
"And that is the heart of the problem. Anyone living on the sharp end is quite clear that TPTB don't care about them. And that is a recipe for a right civil mess. I don't envy anyone in government of any party who has to try to make the country work at the moment. We need people like Lord Woolton (WW2 Minister for Food) who had a combination background of social work AND business lead who can bridge the divide between the haves making decisions and the have-nots who must live with those decisions."
Excellent post GillyBee.