Allotment: Woo Hoooo!!! :) :) :)

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Allotment: Woo Hoooo!!! :) :) :)

Post by jennyjj01 »

A first edible crop ! :) You can laugh if you want.

It's a small victory, but I'm going to claim it. I just cropped my first Rhubarb.
It has had ZERO love and attention, but at least I didn't kill it.

A bit scrawny and thin, but I reckon it just crowded itself. Critters have helped themselves to some of the leaves, which I just put to good use as a mulch around my onions.

Anyways.... Net outcome 400g of edible stalks. Would have cost £1.30 from Tesco or £2.40 from Ocado. :lol: :lol: Not that I ever buy rhubarb.

Oh. there was 3/4 of a small red strawberry, but I left that.
IMG_20230604_170114.jpg
IMG_20230604_162248.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Next stop Jansman's rhubarb chutney. Now a firm favourite chez Gillybee.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hurray! Congratulations, Jenny!
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:05 pm Next stop Jansman's rhubarb chutney. Now a firm favourite chez Gillybee.
👍 :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:22 pm Hurray! Congratulations, Jenny!
I feel a bit of a fraud, having done nothing to nurture it. But hey oh, it's a crop. Can't waste it.
My rhubarb patch is actually about 2 metres long and clearly just wild. I expect a few more crops from it this season, then I'll get a grip and split it up a bit.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:10 am
I feel a bit of a fraud, having done nothing to nurture it. But hey oh, it's a crop. Can't waste it.
My rhubarb patch is actually about 2 metres long and clearly just wild. I expect a few more crops from it this season, then I'll get a grip and split it up a bit.
Being in charge of perennial crops is not a reason to feel guilty. It’s a reason to feel rather sensible!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:16 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:10 am
Being in charge of perennial crops is not a reason to feel guilty. It’s a reason to feel rather sensible!
Good point.

That's right. I'm the BOSS..... Well me and Mother Nature, and Father Time. We're a team.

I hereby declare myself self sufficient in rhubarb, since I just harvested more than I bought in my entire lifetime. I'm already self sufficient in beetroot and courgette.

Next stop Spuds. I think I should be sowing some more about now? Something about maincrop, yada yada? :lol: But I'm concerned at not knowing when enough is enough and I'd hate my crops to rot uneaten in the ground. They have a habit of all maturing when I'm not ready to harvest them.

C'mon 'Marters move your ar53.

Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Private water supply pressure was a bit low so just wandered down the road to give it a boost from the borehole and neighbour gave me some tomato, kale, cabbage and sprout plants so they're going in this afternoon 😀
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

First proper Start to Finish, All My Own Work allotment crop. (Not counting what was already growing there and what i grew in the back garden.)

From 3x potatoes out of the lidl 19p Christmas bag, I just dug up 450g of dinky little Desiree spuds. Just a hint of scab, but all looking good. Two small to peel, I think they'll get sauteed.

Theres still about 20 spuds still growing there. I just dug out the three most dead looking top growth. Some of the other spuds were hopefully bigger varieties.

For foliage, though, nothing comes close to the HUGE spud plants in my composter.

That's a 20p coin for scale.
IMG_20230702_163851.jpg

jansman

Post by jansman »

When you start getting spuds,you are getting somewhere. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.