Wartime cookbooks

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
steptoe

Re: Wartime cookbooks

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:39 pm
steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:41 pm Well i made sweet and sour chicken tonigth and we could only get uncle bens sauce i can tell you terrible stuff less flavour than and old sock lol it is terrible , nothing compared to our usual hubbards from saiunsburys
Funny you should say that. Uncle Bens Sweet and sour is our GoTo with chicken, but I'm getting us migrated over to Lidl's own brand which is a close second 55p! (Aldis is a bit rubbish) I see Uncle Ben at Sainsburys is £2 which is ridiculous. I'll try Hubbards (75p)
I augment a 500g jar of Uncle Ben with half a small onion, a couple of sliced tomatoes and a few bits of re-hydrated carrot sticks and red peppers. Then add a level Tsp of sugar and an extra splash of vinegar. The same additions to other brands.
At the price of those Lidl and Hubbards sauces, it's well worth using them as a base.
There's a world of difference between Sweet & Sour sauce for chicken and one for fried pork or for dipping. It's actually extremely easy to make an Uncle Ben equivalent. I can feel a batch cook coming up :)
(1 part sugar, 1 part vinegar, 3 parts sauce/ketchup + a few bits of pineapple and carrot)
LOL jen if you do not do a online show on the tube i am amzed i know i would be tuning in lol , we watch a lot of the prepping ones and cooking lol ,

Like i say you could bring back the instead of even listen with mother "cook with mother " lol you think they might cry copyright infringmant
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 pm Like i say you could bring back the instead of even listen with mother "cook with mother " lol you think they might cry copyright infringmant
Auntie Jen's Sweet and Sour Sauce

Got a ring to it :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:23 pm
steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 pm Like i say you could bring back the instead of even listen with mother "cook with mother " lol you think they might cry copyright infringmant
Auntie Jen's Sweet and Sour Sauce

Got a ring to it :D
LOL i recon you could now to find the backers lol lord sugar can you spare a mill lol , if we win the lotto jen i be sure to give you a start up lol , the wife and i would love to do the officel taste testers .

jen if i scan the wartime book i have for tripe would you like it sent over in PM if we can here is that allowed
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Thanks but No thanks on the Tripe recipe. I have my limits :)

Good news. I got an email today...
Hello

A donation of 3.5 Million USD was given to you by the Sevim Arsel Foundation. Contact saforg[redacted] for more infomation to claim

Regards
Sevim Arsel Foundation
So, that's start-up funding sorted.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong