Wartime cookbooks

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
steptoe

Wartime cookbooks

Post by steptoe »

Ok i know people keep telling us we were born to late lol we are more like wartime people , i have a few books on wartime menus and just reading a good repo of the kitchen front any one got any good books they can recommend.

Any wartime books you think are a good read ie menu or gardening and so on cheers all
Kiwififer

Re: Wartime cookbooks

Post by Kiwififer »

If I can ask, which ones? I think I would quite like to buy one
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Kiwififer wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:40 pm If I can ask, which ones? I think I would quite like to buy one
Hi do you mean which one am i reading ? if so it is food facts for the kitchen garden repro 1941 version

I will let you know others if that helps but i am hoping others will have some ideas for us
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Lots of books by Marguerite Patten. I have the Victory Cookbook.
There are also a couple of websites
The 1940s experiment and " Rationing Revisited" no longer kept updated but still a useful resource.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Also worth looking at books by Elizabeth David, a post war foodie who introduced French/Italian food to the British public. The recipes were kept simple.

If you have a kindle or kindle app on phone/pc you can download French Provincial Cooking here:

https://www.pdfdrive.com/french-provinc ... 76104.html
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

steptoe wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:00 am
Kiwififer wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:40 pm If I can ask, which ones? I think I would quite like to buy one
Hi do you mean which one am i reading ? if so it is food facts for the kitchen garden repro 1941 version

I will let you know others if that helps but i am hoping others will have some ideas for us
Thanks.

I grew up on a kind of wartime diet with loads of tatties, cabbage, carrots etc. I’m trying to cut down on my meat and eat more fish so books like these will help.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

My brother got me a couple of books by The Greedy Italians. There are loads of simple, nutritious basic recipes that are used by poorer folks in winter. Learned to make gnocchi and my own pasta and noodles. They cook up quickly so save energy. I’m gluten free so take care to make sure I’ve got a good stash of bread and flour.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Mad Scientist wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:04 am My brother got me a couple of books by The Greedy Italians. There are loads of simple, nutritious basic recipes that are used by poorer folks in winter. Learned to make gnocchi and my own pasta and noodles. They cook up quickly so save energy. I’m gluten free so take care to make sure I’ve got a good stash of bread and flour.
Hi mad yes we are gluen to but some does slip in from time to time , the wife would kill for a fig biscuit lol i know we all have our downfalls so to speak .

Can i ask where you got your gnocchi recipe from thanks
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Please do share the gluten free gnocchi recipe. I have lots of gf recipes but not that one.