Medical and Healthcare
bobble

Re: Alternative medicine

Post by bobble »

Sorry duplicate post!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Oh yes St johns wort , that grows quite widely and there's some somewhere in the garden. Supposedly used for toothache at one point. Reckon the taste and smell are so bad you just forget about the toothache...
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Its fun looking into alternative medicine but please remember that 99.999% of it does not work.

When I was nursing I seen first hand when people have relied on natural medicine for too long before coming to us, they died.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180954534/

Making herbal teas sort of thing is fine but don't get sucked into quackery...the only people who benefit are the quacks selling you the junk. Sorry if I am coming across harshly but this is a topic that really pushes my buttons.

Is it too early for a gin and mint tea?
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Hi Rik, there are some herbal preparations which have gone into medical use. Willow bark/ Spirea for aspirin, and foxgloves for the production of heart medicines are a couple that spring to mind. 😃 I suspect that theres a lot more that do work, but they probably can't get the funding to research them properly.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I like the Encyclopedia Of Herbal Medicine by Andrew Chevalier. We do use a number of herbal remedies as they can help with reducing the numebr of trips to the GP for minor ailments.
We also like the spice based and good bacteria approaches.
I make elderberry cordial for colds and also lemon balm tincture.
Ginger tea for nausea. Turmeric tea for antiinflammatory. chamomile tea for headache, insomnia and general not quite right.
Tea tree for anti-fungal - although we find Vicks vapour rub works best for athletes foot (its the camphor content)
Water kefir out competes the bad bugs for tummy upsets and also on spots and pimples.
If the NHS vanished we would be stuffed. I have yet to find good herbal alternatives for blood pressure meds, arthritis meds or antibiotics for infections that won't otherwise clear up and the only heavy duty painkillers which exist herbally are illegal.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

rik_uk3 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:11 pm Its fun looking into alternative medicine but please remember that 99.999% of it does not work.

When I was nursing I seen first hand when people have relied on natural medicine for too long before coming to us, they died.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180954534/

Making herbal teas sort of thing is fine but don't get sucked into quackery...the only people who benefit are the quacks selling you the junk. Sorry if I am coming across harshly but this is a topic that really pushes my buttons.

Is it too early for a gin and mint tea?

I wrote a huge life story of why i like herbal stuff but i will say medicine does keep me alive yes but richard ai have found another subject i will not deabte from religion and politics i will neve chat about people always fall out but now herbal medicine to lol sorry riachard the doctors FAIL big time to
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:06 pm I like the Encyclopedia Of Herbal Medicine by Andrew Chevalier. We do use a number of herbal remedies as they can help with reducing the numebr of trips to the GP for minor ailments.
We also like the spice based and good bacteria approaches.
I make elderberry cordial for colds and also lemon balm tincture.
Ginger tea for nausea. Turmeric tea for antiinflammatory. chamomile tea for headache, insomnia and general not quite right.
Tea tree for anti-fungal - although we find Vicks vapour rub works best for athletes foot (its the camphor content)
Water kefir out competes the bad bugs for tummy upsets and also on spots and pimples.
If the NHS vanished we would be stuffed. I have yet to find good herbal alternatives for blood pressure meds, arthritis meds or antibiotics for infections that won't otherwise clear up and the only heavy duty painkillers which exist herbally are illegal.
Hi Gilly just had my spoonful of elderberry syrup lol you must of read our minds , yes i to like you will try most anything these days because the NHS failed me badly long story not for debate but i once had a shoulder problem a doctor gave me pain killers lie sweets and i took them and nearly crashed my car , hmmm someone said go to a chinese accupunture , i went i hated needles well not a fan now but hated them but i went i was in so much pain coudl not move it without crying out the little lady laid me on the bed put me at ease then put the needles in i never felt any she then put some burnign stuff o nthe ends and cups over which is as i now know called cupping my wife was in thee room i had not slept for 2 days i fell asleep with in minutes of the cups going on the lady tapped me after 45 mins and woke me and said ok time to go lol took the cups off and i got up the shoulder felt so much better another 2 visits i was back at work and never had it again .
so if i can try other stuff to try and help my body which is failing fast i will try it
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

elderberry syrup works better when you add gin ;)
Richard
South Wales UK
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

rik_uk3 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:01 pm elderberry syrup works better when you add gin ;)
LOL the captain of our rifle club makes sloe gin and i did joke with him tell people sloes have 10 x the vit c of oranges so while your downing a G& T your getting your vitamins to lol
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I enjoy making sloe gin and sloe vodka but doubt I'll be out enough to harvest enough for a brew this year :(

Around now is a good time to pick. Traditionally you wait until after the first frost but if they are ripe pick them and freeze them.
Richard
South Wales UK