Waterproof jackets

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Happyhatter

Waterproof jackets

Post by Happyhatter »

Can anyone recommend decent waterproof jacket as on recent trip to Cumbria discovered my coats only shower proof. Is 'outdoor' type place worth going to or do army/navy surplus have decent stuff? Thanks in advance for tips
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Waterproof jackets

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Depends on your fashion sense :lol:

For a rainproof coat look for a royal navy goretex coat....

Waterproof dark blue logo is on velcro and reflective patches on both upper arms and top of hood
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Fashion sense? What's that? :lol: rather go for comfort over style any day
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Happyhatter wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:59 pm Fashion sense? What's that? :lol: rather go for comfort over style any day
https://www.action-station.co.uk/waterp ... X-JKT.aspx
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Dare I say this? My favourite is still waxed cotton. I am an old fishing and shooting git though! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I have a waxed Barbour, it cost a bit more but it is the last rain jacket I will buy as you can get them repaired and rewaxed. I didn’t mind paying more as it should last, one thing I will say though is that they aren’t the warmest, you need layers underneath to heat yourself up.

I have Red Wing boots for the same reason, I can get them resoled when the tread runs down.

Which will be about 2050 going by the size of them!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Kiwififer wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:41 pm I have a waxed Barbour, it cost a bit more but it is the last rain jacket I will buy as you can get them repaired and rewaxed. I didn’t mind paying more as it should last, one thing I will say though is that they aren’t the warmest, you need layers underneath to heat yourself up.

I have Red Wing boots for the same reason, I can get them resoled when the tread runs down.

Which will be about 2050 going by the size of them!
Warmth is an issue. I have waxed over trousers too. They are superb.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I tend to wear cords in winter as they are warm and dry out quick if wet.

My mate says I look like an advert for ‘Man at C&A’ if you can remember that far back.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I would always recommend a breathable waterproof by a company that makes stuff for backbackers and climbers etc. Ideally with pit zips as well, under arm zips for ventilation. Rab do a relatively cheap one for day to day urban use, called the Downpour. It has pit zips and breathable membrane. Comes in two versions, Eco (RRP £115) and Plus 2.0 (RRP £140). There may be some older versions knocking around a bit cheaper. And some retailers may be knocking a bit off. I paid £90 for one 5 years ago and that was cheap. You can pay £200 for a waterproof easily. These are light weight and packable, good quality.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Some more, all good quality, starting at £87
Avoid the ultralight as they won't be as durable, you can fiilter the page in weight order. In fact that's the default but I made the link in price.
https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/men ... t=priceasc
For comparison, the Downpour Plus is 375g (doesn't say what size, prop med or large). I wouldn't go much lighter than that. Actually ULOG have it, they gives weight for each size, Medium weighs: 366g Large weighs: 382g so 375 is an average.
Their best seller is Patagonia Torrentshell 3L Waterproof Jacket £135
3 layer means there is a layer of material either side of the breathable waterproof membrane. As well as the membrane, all jackets will have a water repellant treatment on the outside to stop the outer material getting waterlogged.