Value Range foods compared

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Value Range foods compared

Post by jennyjj01 »

A quick shout out for YumSu Instant Noodles from Home Bargain.

£1.19 for a pack of 6 x individually wrapped portions, each with a pair of flavour sachets. Oil and powders.

Now available in Special Chicken, Curried Chicken and Beef flavours. Nice noodles. Acceptable flavours.

You are getting a portion for 20p. Great long term or camping ration. Compact and light. Already double bagged.

There is an extra hot chilli version but not in the packs of six.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

A heads up.....

Morrisons (at least Crewe) are now stocking 'Simply' Curry Sauce again at 45p Not available online.

I had some (1/3 jar) for tea over a fried diced chicken breast, along with a few chips.

I deem it to be a very good value add to my food stockpile.

The sauce has a simple and natural list of ingredients and is similar to 'chip shop' curry sauce. The odd sultana.
Not hot or spicy at all, but decent flavour for the price.

One can barely buy an empty jar for 45p, So i suggest you try a jar and then Fill Yer Boots.

Shelf life stated as 16 months.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by Mozzers this week. They are REALLY pushing the simply range.

https://www.latestdeals.co.uk/deals/mor ... sauce-440g
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Aldi Everyday Essentials Battered Fish £2.35 500g bargain

Sains Both In One Medium bread 72p Aldi price match, but still dearer than Aldi Everday Essentials. The latter though often has a short date.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:31 am Aldi Everyday Essentials Battered Fish £2.35 500g bargain

Sains Both In One Medium bread 72p Aldi price match, but still dearer than Aldi Everday Essentials. The latter though often has a short date.
Fish being the operative word. Fish of arbitrary species. But I agree it tastes fine and is good value.

This week's Aldi buy to try.... They have small jars of basic sweet and sour sauce at 1.25 which sounds dear, compared to the usual cook in type. It seems much like the stuff takeaways put with chicken balls in batter. I'm pairing a jar with a bag of 30 chicken nuggets to make three meals for three quid. Just add a bit of rice. I don't know how well the nuggets will go down in place of chunks.

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:49 am This week's Aldi buy to try.... They have small jars of basic sweet and sour sauce at 1.25 which sounds dear, compared to the usual cook in type. It seems much like the stuff takeaways put with chicken balls in batter. I'm pairing a jar with a bag of 30 chicken nuggets to make three meals for three quid. Just add a bit of rice. I don't know how well the nuggets will go down in place of chunks.
Lol. So I tried this pauper version of sweet and sour battered chicken
To serve two....
20 chicken nuggets
1 jar sauce 235g
150g refried rice with a beaten egg and soy sauce and some frozen peas.
4 Aldi duck spring rolls each

The egg fried rice turned out top notch ! 😋
The whole feast cost less than £2 each and was good enough. Nuggets were a funny but acceptable substitute. The sauce was just like our takeaway used to make and a small jar was enough. We chuckled over the 'Student on a budget ' type meal. Next time we'll try Heron foods Mayflower curry sauce.

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:49 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:31 am Aldi Everyday Essentials Battered Fish £2.35 500g bargain

Fish being the operative word. Fish of arbitrary species. But I agree it tastes fine and is good value.

This week's Aldi buy to try.... They have small jars of basic sweet and sour sauce at 1.25 which sounds dear, compared to the usual cook in type. It seems much like the stuff takeaways put with chicken balls in batter. I'm pairing a jar with a bag of 30 chicken nuggets to make three meals for three quid. Just add a bit of rice. I don't know how well the nuggets will go down in place of chunks.
I tend to avoid cod anyway, because it's overfished and borderline endangered. That's UK cod, North East Arctic or Iceland is ok. But I doubt place of origin is always on the packet. Sainsbury's Wild Salmon Fillets (frozen) are Responsibly Sourced, independently certified to the MSC's standard for a well-managed and sustainable fishery. www.msc.org MSC-C-51035. Haddock is ok. I only buy these when there is a decent offer on. Aldi frozen salmon is cheaper, but explodes in the microwave. You can cover it with one of those big plastic things. But I'm not sure Aldi still sell it, can't see it on their website. It was quite a bit cheaper. Sainsburys Stamford Street value fish fingers are a bargain at 80p. I get the Stamford Street cheddar, 600g not 400, is cheap. It used to be called Mary Annes. Also get their tinned tomatoes. The Stamford yoghurt is a bit watery, but dirt cheap, so I do buy it if there's nowt on offer. Arla Skyr yoghurt is good when it's half price, very thick. Aldi Skyr yoghurt is not nice. Sains have tuna £1 off at the moment, Fridge Pots and Princes both £4 for three.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:41 pm A heads up.....

Morrisons (at least Crewe) are now stocking 'Simply' Curry Sauce again at 45p Not available online.
https://www.latestdeals.co.uk/deals/mor ... sauce-440g
This time a shout out for Tesco.... Don't get many of them!

Tesco are doing an equivalent jar of curry sauce at 45p, but it's in the 3/2 clubcard offer, so 30p a jar
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /300535876

Tesco also have a Hearty Food Co basic tomato and herb sauce at 47p clubcard 3/2 that's 31p a jar
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /297844094
Downside of the latter is it uses sodium saccharin. You don't see much of that for good reason.

You can't get empty jars at those prices! Use as a base sauce and zhuzh them up

and finally...... Batchelors Mushy Peas, which at 39p are cheaper than most own brand rubbish.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /275205412

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:10 pm
and finally...... Batchelors Mushy Peas, which at 39p are cheaper than most own brand rubbish.
Omg, 80p in Sainsburys! For this reason I buy Hubbards, which aren't truly mushy, but do taste nice. I'm not walking all the way to Tescos for them anyway, I only get them rarely. I have about 90g of chips about twice a month. Chip butty, Aldi "some kind of fish" in batter, mushy peas and Bisto parley sauce, heaven. Spuds are high in oxalates, hence the miserly portion and infrequence.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:29 pm
Omg, 80p in Sainsburys!
I know. 59p in Home Bargains. I could hardly believe it. Tesco also has heinz soup at 5 for £5 but they pissed on their chips with me. Heinz tried to profiteer and can keep their soup forever.

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:19 pm
Frnc wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:29 pm
Omg, 80p in Sainsburys!
I know. 59p in Home Bargains. I could hardly believe it. Tesco also has heinz soup at 5 for £5 but they pissed on their chips with me. Heinz tried to profiteer and can keep their soup forever.
£1.70 for a tin of lentil soup loaded with massive quantities of toxic salt, they (Heinz) can keep it, even though it is nice. I used to live on that when I was a student, it can't have been expensive then. Say no to salt, people.