Rechargable batteries

Logistics and Transport
the reverend

Rechargable batteries

Post by the reverend »

I recently purchased 6 magnetic strip light/ torches. They take AA batteries x3. I then purchased 2 x USB port battery chargers and 20 duracell rechargeable batteries. The entire gig runs off my solar panel or the cigarette lighter in the van. Job done or so I thought. Be warned rechargeable batteries are slightly bigger than their disposable counterparts and DO NOT fit in Maglite torches or mine. I looked online and it is a recognized problem with other gadgets also. So Ive just forked out a shed load of money and now have to go and buy some batteries, Needless to say Im back to square one, I might get a drill and rebore the battery chambers. If any one has had this problem you may know of a brand of rechargeable battery that fits and you could share that information. In the meantime I have to say that that was the last thing on earth I expected. Hopefully this will help someone else not to do the same . Thanks everyone.
jennyjj01

Re: Rechargable batteries

Post by jennyjj01 »

Can't swear they'll fit, but these are great batteries... unbadged eneloop pro
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ladda-rech ... -50504692/
£7 for 4
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I've never noticed a difference in size, never had a problem with rechargeable AAs or AAAs. Your torch must have a very tight fit.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

I have had this problem with rechargable batteries as well withsome torches and handheld gps devices.

WP
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

My battery size of choice is AA, I've been using Eneloop for some years, you pay more but they are excellent quality and performance with an extremely slow discharge rate; charge them up, put in a draw and a year later they are still pretty much fully charge. Never had a size problem with them in literally dozens of gadgets and gizzmos.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:43 pm My battery size of choice is AA, I've been using Eneloop for some years, you pay more but they are excellent quality and performance with an extremely slow discharge rate; charge them up, put in a draw and a year later they are still pretty much fully charge. Never had a size problem with them in literally dozens of gadgets and gizzmos.
Hi ok are these the panasonic ones , sorry i am trying to build a good supply of rechargeables i have always stuck with duracell but the price is starting to hurt , i did try energisers and found them not so good in my head torches and my mini high beam spot light .

I alawyas find it hard to get a good answer on what is good on batteries lol

Just been on Ama and ordered 4 packs of the AA got a great deal , i will order some of the eneloop ones next week and see how they both fair thansk guys been looking to get away from duracell but you tend to stick to what you know so hoping these fit the bill , more useful knowledge i learnt and saving ££££
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:43 pm I always find it hard to get a good answer on what is good on batteries lol
Ladda Ladda Ladda. LOL. Did I mention Ikea Ladda 2540 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, has anyone any ideas on rechargeable PP3's? NiMh or Li-ion

I bought some recently, Li-ion but they were well short of 9V and I don't believe the stated capacity of 800mAh.
Duracell and Energiser NiMh are barely 170mAh and 8.4V. I've seen others at 300mAh 8.4V

Alkaline are typically >600mAh
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:07 pm
steptoe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:43 pm I always find it hard to get a good answer on what is good on batteries lol
Ladda Ladda Ladda. LOL. Did I mention Ikea Ladda 2540 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, has anyone any ideas on rechargeable PP3's? NiMh or Li-ion

I bought some recently, Li-ion but they were well short of 9V and I don't believe the stated capacity of 800mAh.
Duracell and Energiser NiMh are barely 170mAh and 8.4V. I've seen others at 300mAh 8.4V

Alkaline are typically >600mAh
Thank you jenny on your review i ordered 4 packs and will be checking them out and also next week get 4 packs of the eneloop , we like ot make sure we have plenty of AA's in most things take them these days i might get a few of the convertors to i always wonder will i use them but i guess if i am building a battery box so to speak i should throw in some for the aaa and some for the aa to c and d cell size never know in an emergency
the reverend

Post by the reverend »

Torches seem to be a problem and its mine. Forked out shedloads for batteries chargers and torches. I really didnt see this coming. Most things fine, they work in my camera well.