Heating oil grants

Homes and Retreats
Medusa

Heating oil grants

Post by Medusa »

I keep reading about the Government giving those using heating oil money towards the cost, talk of £100 which is pretty rubbish really (better than nothing) but no further information. Articles also mention it being given to those "off the grid". We are not off the grid as such, just that gas supply goes to the end of the drive and no further because predecessors of the house refused to pay to have it taken up the drive and connected. 15 years ago we were quoted £2,000 to have the supply connected if we dug the trench ourselves, plus an additional cost to fit the meter which was way out of our affordability at that time so we stuck to oil. Given that most (not all) are connected to the electricity grid it was fairly easy for the Government to put the electric grants in place via electric suppliers, but how are we going to prove that we use oil?
Growing old disgracefully!
PreppingSu

Re: Heating oil grants

Post by PreppingSu »

Medusa, that sounds just like us. The gas main is at the end of the drive and the bottom of the garden but it never made it to us.
We are certainly not 'off grid' just 'off gas'.
£100 is a very low amount considering what gas customers are getting. We have spent £3000 over the last 8months to ensure our tank is full to get us through to next summer.
And how will they know who has oil. We change suppliers depending on pence price and delivery timescale. We don't have a low fuel alarm automatically linked to a supply company. Our tank is hidden, we are not visible from the road.
So many questions and no answers...🤷‍♀️
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

And us. £1000 to fill the tank when we moved in in April. Xpect to have to top up again mid winter. Definitely not off grid, as su says, just off gas and water.
Maybe we should start a support group ;)
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Medusa wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:57 pm I keep reading about the Government giving those using heating oil money towards the cost, talk of £100 which is pretty rubbish really (better than nothing) but no further information. Articles also mention it being given to those "off the grid". We are not off the grid as such, just that gas supply goes to the end of the drive and no further because predecessors of the house refused to pay to have it taken up the drive and connected. 15 years ago we were quoted £2,000 to have the supply connected if we dug the trench ourselves, plus an additional cost to fit the meter which was way out of our affordability at that time so we stuck to oil. Given that most (not all) are connected to the electricity grid it was fairly easy for the Government to put the electric grants in place via electric suppliers, but how are we going to prove that we use oil?
Hi medusa, money box matters on R4 today had a piece on claiming the £100 off gas grid grant. I was driving so didn't take it all in but the podcast will be on BBC sounds.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

PreppingSu wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:03 pm Medusa, that sounds just like us. The gas main is at the end of the drive and the bottom of the garden but it never made it to us.
£100 is a very low amount considering what gas customers are getting. We have spent £3000 over the last 8months to ensure our tank is full to get us through to next summer.
And how will they know who has oil. We change suppliers depending on pence price and delivery timescale. We don't have a low fuel alarm automatically linked to a supply company. Our tank is hidden, we are not visible from the road.
Hi Su, see above :)
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Found this too - https://www.boilerjuice.com/heating-oil ... l-payment/

Apparently/allegedly the £100 will be credited from your electricity supplier automatically.
PreppingSu

Post by PreppingSu »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:37 pm
PreppingSu wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:03 pm Medusa, that sounds just like us. The gas main is at the end of the drive and the bottom of the garden but it never made it to us.
Hi Su, see above :)
Yes, my OH heard a similar report on the radio. Apparently there is a 'list' of everyone on oil. But £100 is still a piss poor effort when gas and electricity are getting £400!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Am I wrong here?

As I am aware,the £400 is electricity ONLY. My electric supply told me there’s 66 quid waiting to knock off next month’s bill. We only have a gas cooker - nothing else gas- wise. Just paid British Gas,and there is NO subsidy,just as I understand.

As I saw this originally,the subsidies on electricity were put there,as ( virtually) everyone has electricity,so that everyone gets something. Not everyone has gas. So why should oil heating be subsidised?

We have electric heating as back up,so a bit is there to knock off the bills.However the main heating is wood/ coal - so why can’t the PTB offer me £100 ? Of course they won’t,and why should they? So why should heating oil get a subsidy?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

I'm on gas so haven't paid much to much but I thought the one of payment was because they don't benefit from the gas price cap. :?:
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

For those not on gas the grant has been raised to £200 and we should be receiving it in the new year Quoted from Boiler Juice who I don't buy from "This week it was confirmed the Alternative Fuel Payment of £200 will be made in the New Year, for many this may still be paid via their electricity provider, however, more details are expected soon". 
Growing old disgracefully!