Walkie-talkies 1km urban (small town) range

space.gamer

Walkie-talkies 1km urban (small town) range

Post by space.gamer »

Hi there! I’m hoping you can help. I’ve looked over several posts here already but couldn’t find someone ask the same question but apologies if they have.

I’m looking for a walkie-talkie (or other communication device) that will work well in an urban/town location, specially a seaside location in Kent, UK. I have a few family members who live around 1km as way from me as the crow flies. Being a seaside town, it’s relatively flat but there are houses and schools around (but no big hills or skyscrapers!)

I’ve tried to research as much as I can and know that line-of-sight is always an issue, hence looking for the best (affordable) device for the UK.

Requirements:

[*]Capability to power device with normal AA/AAA or similar batteries (if additional power options are also available at the same time, that’s a bonus)
[*]Range 1km (perhaps 1.5km) with flat land but typical residential location
[*]Not looking for the cheapest but not the most expensive either - I need perhaps 3 or 4 devices so looking at £50-ish each. Perhaps more but no more than £100 each
[*]Nice to have something that is easy to use - one device will be used by 7 year old (intelligent) child possibly
[*]Usage mainly for bug-out situation in emergency assuming no power, internet or mobile phone signal
[*]License free

I was thinking about something like these from Motorola:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Talka ... C68&sr=8-1

or these (but these don’t appear to be quite as good a spec from what I can see):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Talka ... 605&sr=8-2

Any thoughts? Feel free to share recommended Amazon UK links if you wish. (I like Amazon :D … should I just go by Amazon ratings?)

ty in advance.
rik_uk3

Re: Walkie-talkies 1km urban (small town) range

Post by rik_uk3 »

I've a Yeasu handheld which cost me over £100 and I've a couple of Baofeng UV5R costing £25 each and the performance for local chats straight out of the box is pretty much the same.

The Baofeng uses both radio ham bands and the PMR bands needing no license. Accessories on the Boafeng are cheap, and they are things like USB adaptor lead to charge from a USB charger/car power socket, battery cases to run from AA batteries, better antennas like the Nagoya and non will break the bank and readily available on ebay.; I can buy four or more Boafeng for the cost of one expensive handheld and put some away for future use or to cover your 'personal netowork' expansion.

Your money, take your pick.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Appin

Post by Appin »

The T800 is an American FRS radio so it is not legal in the UK or Europe. Nor is it compatible with PMR radios

The T82 is a UK / European standard PMR radio. It is legal and needs no licence.

This link explains the issues.

https://www.walkie-talkie-radio.co.uk/i ... nal-issues

PMR radios might work for you as your requirements are not too ambitious. The cheaper PMR radios tend to use up batteries. This link gives some examples. The only way to get any real idea is to get a pair of radios and try them out over the distance you need.

https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/category/ ... ee-radios/

Be very careful on Amazon. Even if you specify PMR 446 you will get offered American FRS radios as well.

PS I am a radio Ham so I discourage getting ham equipment and using it without getting a licence. There is a real risk if getting spotted (some Hams make a hobby of policing their frequencies). Also practice is needed you don't want to be trying to learn is a crisis.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

The Baufengs can be programmed to use PTT/PMR frequencies, but they have higher than legal output power which gives higher range ;)
Far superior to most amazon PTT/PMR radios.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

space.gamer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:35 pm Hi there! I’m hoping you can help. I’ve looked over several posts here already but couldn’t find someone ask the same question but apologies if they have.

I’m looking for a walkie-talkie (or other communication device) that will work well in an urban/town location, specially a seaside location in Kent, UK. I have a few family members who live around 1km as way from me as the crow flies. Being a seaside town, it’s relatively flat but there are houses and schools around (but no big hills or skyscrapers!)

I’ve tried to research as much as I can and know that line-of-sight is always an issue, hence looking for the best (affordable) device for the UK.

Requirements:

[*]Capability to power device with normal AA/AAA or similar batteries (if additional power options are also available at the same time, that’s a bonus)
[*]Range 1km (perhaps 1.5km) with flat land but typical residential location
[*]Not looking for the cheapest but not the most expensive either - I need perhaps 3 or 4 devices so looking at £50-ish each. Perhaps more but no more than £100 each
[*]Nice to have something that is easy to use - one device will be used by 7 year old (intelligent) child possibly
[*]Usage mainly for bug-out situation in emergency assuming no power, internet or mobile phone signal
[*]License free

I was thinking about something like these from Motorola:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Talka ... C68&sr=8-1

or these (but these don’t appear to be quite as good a spec from what I can see):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Talka ... 605&sr=8-2

Any thoughts? Feel free to share recommended Amazon UK links if you wish. (I like Amazon :D … should I just go by Amazon ratings?)

ty in advance.
Can we have an introduction in the New Member Section please? This thread is locked until you do .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:05 am Can we have an introduction in the New Member Section please? This thread is locked until you do .
Introduction made, thread unlocked.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I'd second the use of Baofengs.
[RSGB members look away now]
Yes they are above permitted power output but you're never going to be checked; Ofcom don't have the powers and Old Bill aren't interested unless you're causing a nuisance (a knobhead I went to school with built his own transmitter, was using it on police frequencies and got busted).
space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

rik_uk3 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:36 pm I've a Yeasu handheld which cost me over £100 and I've a couple of Baofeng UV5R costing £25 each and the performance for local chats straight out of the box is pretty much the same.

The Baofeng uses both radio ham bands and the PMR bands needing no license. Accessories on the Boafeng are cheap, and they are things like USB adaptor lead to charge from a USB charger/car power socket, battery cases to run from AA batteries, better antennas like the Nagoya and non will break the bank and readily available on ebay.; I can buy four or more Boafeng for the cost of one expensive handheld and put some away for future use or to cover your 'personal netowork' expansion.
Thanks for your comments (and everyone else for their comments too!). Baofeng has been recommended by at least 3 of your guys/gals now so I guess that's a good way to go.

Looking at the Baofeng UV-5R, there seem to be a few different ones.

BAOFENG UV-5R Dual Band UHF/VHF Ham Radio Two Way FM Walkie Talkie + Earpiece https://www.baofengradio.co.uk/baofeng- ... -earpiece/

Baofeng UV-5R III Tri-Band VHF/UHF 136-174/220-260/400-520MHz Walkie Talkie Two Way Radio https://baofengradio.co.uk/baofeng-uv-5 ... way-radio/

Which should I be looking at? I guess I'm asking, do I need dual-band or tri-band?

Also, without being spoon-fed too much, can you point me to the battery cases for AA batteries and antennas you were referring to?

Thanks.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

The UV-5R will do the job.

You can programme favourite channels using 'CHIRP' software (included) loaded on your computer/laptop. Once you've done one you save an image of your work and can then simply transfer over to other units you have.

Plenty of videos on youtube to guide you through the process.

You can also listen to FM radio such as the BBC stations.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:36 am The UV-5R will do the job.

You can programme favourite channels using 'CHIRP' software (included) loaded on your computer/laptop. Once you've done one you save an image of your work and can then simply transfer over to other units you have.

Plenty of videos on youtube to guide you through the process.

You can also listen to FM radio such as the BBC stations.
Hi mate sorry to jump in do you mean withthe UV-5R you can listen to standard bbc channels i might get one if so i have a wind up radio and just got a few sets of short range walkies but one that can laos transmit recv and get the bbc would be a bonus we have the big home ham set now it is all in a big stack and store for when i set up with a licence but it can be taken should we need to move , we also have a few cb sets to for use in the car not got round to fitting yet but just the same old thing from the 80's lol .

I am still looking for a fm/am usb lsw mobile set as well as i think come the day we will need to keep in touch with as i call preppers helpers , because we can all help each other if not in the phsyical form it could just be knowledge