Eggs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Eggs

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:08 am Not that it really helps anyone make up their minds but a little story.
Going back probably 25 years my father had a friend he worked for and one day they went to the auction. It was a livestock action and my father's friend had his eyes on a small flock ( brood?) of chickens. He'd already built the run so just needed the birds. Well he won the auction but at some point must have been distracted or else he wasn't paying attention because it wasn't the chickens he brought . He ended up coming back with three golden pheasents. Nice looking birds but not exactly good for laying...
:lol: :lol: :lol: I can remember some years back at Melton Cattle Market ,a woman with young children ,start bidding for ‘a’rabbit. She won the bid. A couple of quid. Only problem was , £2 per rabbit,but she had just bought a cage of 12 at £2 apiece! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

You do have to be careful at auctions. I went to one a little while ago. Small box of toy cars and models came up and I thought it was worth a bid for a couple of quid. Seems a few others thought the same and the auctioneer read the room from left to right . It was all quite quick and I won it by being the fourth bidder sitting to the right of the auctioneer. Didn't cost a fortune but I ended up paying more than I wanted to. Ho hum.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Oh please don't mention bird auctions we use to run one for budgies and parrots and wll all live stock lol , rabbits came in my wife brought them to stop the huy who use to buy them for meat lol , he then switched to buying all the bob white quail you got it she started collecting them to , now bare in mine we lived with my dad then huge garden huge aviaries and a special rabbit area lol special hutches like challets lol.

It cost a small fortune but when a problem comes you can spend a huge amount putting it right and so tp my point keeping chickens for eggs is not always the cheap option , think long and hard before you go in to it as they are hard work and if you work and have kids well it is not like on the tv shows as i say we use to work full time and our staurdays were in the runs at 9 am work work work unti llunch then start in the afternoon and also in the winter we use to run heating and well it was not cheap .

Keeping birds for meat is also not easy do not name them do not pet them because you will never kill them if you do , remember they are food not pets if that is what you want .

good luck all
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Can chickens go it alone , fend for themselves you often see them around a farm pecking at stuff on the ground can they get all they need doing this.
Fill er up jacko...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Not really, you'd have a high loss rate that way. They need looked after.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

For years we were told we can't eat butter/lard/beef dripping/eggs? Remember the adverts 'Go to work on an egg' then ten years later "Eat eggs and die"? Well, now all of that is OK to eat LOL

Diabetic researchers in (IIRC) Canada studied diabetics who ate 12 eggs and 6 eggs a week and it showed that eggs had no impact on their glycaemic and cholesterol levels while adding good levels of other nutrients.

Enjoy your eggs.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:58 pm Not really, you'd have a high loss rate that way. They need looked after.
Exactly.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:59 pm For years we were told we can't eat butter/lard/beef dripping/eggs? Remember the adverts 'Go to work on an egg' then ten years later "Eat eggs and die"? Well, now all of that is OK to eat LOL

Diabetic researchers in (IIRC) Canada studied diabetics who ate 12 eggs and 6 eggs a week and it showed that eggs had no impact on their glycaemic and cholesterol levels while adding good levels of other nutrients.

Enjoy your eggs.

It seems now that the new enemies are sugars and carbohydrates like spuds , white rice , bread .

I'm fond of egg n chips and don't know what to do.
8-)
Fill er up jacko...