'Hay Box' cooking

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
rik_uk3

'Hay Box' cooking

Post by rik_uk3 »

An old book but well worth looking at

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/ ... frontcover

This method has been around a long long time and its a skill worth having.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
pseudonym

Re: 'Hay Box' cooking

Post by pseudonym »

Thanks for the link.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I've Been using a similar method for sometime now with old towels ,I part microwave my food then just wrap it well in old towels, coats , anything that will keep in the heat .
My only advice is chop stuff into small pieces to make sure it's cooked through .
The only drawback is your always eating all in one pot meals unless you use same method on separate ingredients.

It's worth giving it a go practice makes perfect.
Fill er up jacko...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Nice link.
You can put several smaller jars/containers/roasting bags into one pan to keep foods separate or to cook a dessert alongside your stew. Just fill between the containers with water and make sure that you have boied for 20 mins to ensure both the water & the container contents are boiing before you put it into your diy haybox. I like the roasting bags as they don't need so much time for the contents to warm up. Glass jars were less successful for this reason. I have a couple of little steel lidded pans to test next.
The bigger the better is the rule here as a bigger pot will keep food warmer for longer.
Google "thermal cooking recipes" for more recipes. It does not matter if they are linked to a tradename thermal cooker - they will still work for a DIY one too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:54 pm Nice link.
You can put several smaller jars/containers/roasting bags into one pan to keep foods separate or to cook a dessert alongside your stew. Just fill between the containers with water and make sure that you have boied for 20 mins to ensure both the water & the container contents are boiing before you put it into your diy haybox. I like the roasting bags as they don't need so much time for the contents to warm up. Glass jars were less successful for this reason. I have a couple of little steel lidded pans to test next.
The bigger the better is the rule here as a bigger pot will keep food warmer for longer.
Google "thermal cooking recipes" for more recipes. It does not matter if they are linked to a tradename thermal cooker - they will still work for a DIY one too.
My grandmother used to have a pan from WW2 that had several others on top,to save fuel. She swore by it,and her steamed veg was very nice! Of course,the Asian community have similar baskets to go above woks etc. After all the stir- fry cooking came about because of the lack of fuel. Nothing is new ,is it?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

jansman wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:39 pm My grandmother used to have a pan from WW2 that had several others on top,to save fuel. She swore by it,and her steamed veg was very nice! Of course,the Asian community have similar baskets to go above woks etc. After all the stir- fry cooking came about because of the lack of fuel. Nothing is new ,is it?
In my family we had a pair of ancient saucepans in a half circle shape so you could fit both on the same electric ring. They didn't balance so well on a gas hob. I took them to uni with me as we had an electric hob there but cannot recall what happened to them after that. Probably still in use in some student digs somewhere.....
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:09 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:39 pm My grandmother used to have a pan from WW2 that had several others on top,to save fuel. She swore by it,and her steamed veg was very nice! Of course,the Asian community have similar baskets to go above woks etc. After all the stir- fry cooking came about because of the lack of fuel. Nothing is new ,is it?
In my family we had a pair of ancient saucepans in a half circle shape so you could fit both on the same electric ring. They didn't balance so well on a gas hob. I took them to uni with me as we had an electric hob there but cannot recall what happened to them after that. Probably still in use in some student digs somewhere.....
There must be modern versions, shall we look?

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I can't find the half saucepans new anywhere. Mine were just like these.
saucepans.JPG
The modern versions seem to be more like these stackers or dividers.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08LZLPS72/ ... ljaz10cnVl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Saucepa ... r=8-7&th=1
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:15 pm I can't find the half saucepans new anywhere. Mine were just like these.saucepans.JPG

The modern versions seem to be more like these stackers or dividers.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08LZLPS72/ ... ljaz10cnVl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Saucepa ... r=8-7&th=1
The Eye Witness brand ( second link) is the one I saw too. I like their brand of butchers knives, so I will but one of those I think.

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »