Hello!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Nurseandy

Re: Hello!

Post by Nurseandy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:30 am
Nurseandy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:32 am Hi & welcome, as others say you're on the right track and I agree with keeping your preps on the down low. I also have another take on the water storage situation - I have half a dozen 25 litre containers filled from the garden hose and once a week I do a "farmers walk" with two of them to the hosepipe (~50m) empty & refill them then carry back to storage area the next day. Following week I repeat with the next two containers ad infinitum. Fresh water, cardio & strength exercise all in one.
Cripes, Andy,
Lugging 25L of water is beyond me. Nearest I manage is shifting 25L of Beer Wort from kitchen to nearby garage and lifting that onto a bench, I usually end up wearing some.
Nothing wrong with that approach, so long as you keep the containers out of sunlight and consider them potentially tainted at drinking time. Algae can grow in stored water very quickly and can be nasty.

Storing your water in the form of wine or beer is another good option :)
I would very much consider them tainted if I came to use them, filled from a hosepipe and no chlorine.

I did try storing water in the form of beer but sadly not a practical option. I found all the containers had leaked by the end of the weekend :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:55 am
I did try storing water in the form of beer but sadly not a practical option. I found all the containers had leaked by the end of the weekend :lol:
I had that issue it leaked into a pint pot repeatedly if I've got it it gets drunk :lol:

Did once have a cheap pressure keg split down a seam as it did its final fermentation.. that made one hell of a mess
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Nurseandy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:32 am Hi & welcome, as others say you're on the right track and I agree with keeping your preps on the down low. I also have another take on the water storage situation - I have half a dozen 25 litre containers filled from the garden hose and once a week I do a "farmers walk" with two of them to the hosepipe (~50m) empty & refill them then carry back to storage area the next day. Following week I repeat with the next two containers ad infinitum. Fresh water, cardio & strength exercise all in one.
Each to his own, but why? OK, it's good exercise. But not necessary from the point of view of water safety. Unless you store them somewhere that gets hot.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome to the forum. You sound like you are on the right track. :D Regarding water,it is very important as you say. I store mine in 25 l containers too ,along with some 2 litres for my wife to handle if she has to. The big containers I empty using a syphon- I work smart,not hard. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Frnc wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:15 pm
Each to his own, but why? OK, it's good exercise. But not necessary from the point of view of water safety. Unless you store them somewhere that gets hot.
Quite right, not necessary at all. Intention is to build up to carrying them all way to the tap & back again in one go. :D
Norma

Post by Norma »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:41 am
Norma wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:00 am I’m intending to buy some 4 litre containers.
4 litre? Why not buy 5L bottles of drinking water from the supermarket for about £1 each. You could pay that for an empty bottle. Plus they have handy carry handles and make great Brewing
I wasn’t clear because I’m not planning on storing water now, I’m thinking that there will be rationed supplies at some point and I saw 2 neat glass 4l containers. People used to store water in glass carboys before there was running water and you can often see them in old paintings. Sorry I’m probably not replying properly as I’m not sure how to do that
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Norma wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:10 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:41 am
Norma wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:00 am I’m intending to buy some 4 litre containers.
4 litre? Why not buy 5L bottles of drinking water from the supermarket for about £1 each. You could pay that for an empty bottle. Plus they have handy carry handles and make great Brewing
I wasn’t clear because I’m not planning on storing water now, I’m thinking that there will be rationed supplies at some point and I saw 2 neat glass 4l containers. People used to store water in glass carboys before there was running water and you can often see them in old paintings. Sorry I’m probably not replying properly as I’m not sure how to do that
There might be some sort of warning or rationing. I do have an empty 25 lite container I could fill in such circumstances. But I think it's worth having some already stored. For instance I have five 5 litre containers under my bed, and three 10 litre ones in my room full of water. Something like this.
https://oipps.co.uk/10-l-plastic-natura ... -jerry-can
NB, on that website you have to add the lids to the order
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

We had an unscheduled water outage a few weeks back. In spite of having lots of bottled water it was quite disconcerting
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

Hello :D

For me the most important thing is that you are getting the right mindset. For me anything you do now should put you in a better place. Our water here is really hard, so we use bottled water for consumption. Because of this we naturally rotate our water.

I think you have to answer for example,

Are you thinking about drinking water only? Someone may have a different answer, but 2L per day per person minimum
How much space do you have available for this ?
How long does this water need to last ?

Personally as we live in the UK there isn't a great distance for the government to ship water into an area. I think if there is no water after 2 weeks then we are in big trouble.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bijela wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:40 pm Hello :D

For me the most important thing is that you are getting the right mindset. For me anything you do now should put you in a better place. Our water here is really hard, so we use bottled water for consumption. Because of this we naturally rotate our water.

I think you have to answer for example,

Are you thinking about drinking water only? Someone may have a different answer, but 2L per day per person minimum
How much space do you have available for this ?
How long does this water need to last ?

Personally as we live in the UK there isn't a great distance for the government to ship water into an area. I think if there is no water after 2 weeks then we are in big trouble.
A gallon a day is the recommended amount. At rest. I have been drinking a litre per hour lately. My illness started with dehydration. Fishing today ,I drank 3 litres in 4 hours. It was all I could carry in. Prepping- wise we have 100 litres stored. Then ( sorry, imperial here) 400 gallons of rain catchment, with filtration available. Then there’s the brook over the road. Water is simple,but THE MOST IMPORTANT prep. Not a bug out bag.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.