Pakistan. .. NEXT ?

For all things financial
Vitamin c

Re: Pakistan. .. NEXT ?

Post by Vitamin c »

https://www.ft.com/content/0df8feff-b8d ... 857a0b0d4a

China's economy now in deflation, this surely will affect the west.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:15 pm https://www.ft.com/content/0df8feff-b8d ... 857a0b0d4a

China's economy now in deflation, this surely will affect the west.
Non-firewalled version
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66435870

Hard to know what the effect will be. If anyone has good analysis, then do tell. Meanwhile, let's just assume bad stuff. Redouble the preps.

Inflation, Deflation. We just can't win :(
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

What's obvious is with the western world in trouble with inflation and now rising unemployment we the west have alot less to spend and manufacturers like India and China are going to suffer too.
China has been on the edge for a while with the property market crash at home leaving many Chinese with a mortgage on a property that dose not exist or only half built and the company responsible gone broke and a government unwilling to help much.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:54 pm What's obvious is with the western world in trouble with inflation and now rising unemployment we the west have alot less to spend and manufacturers like India and China are going to suffer too.
China has been on the edge for a while with the property market crash at home leaving many Chinese with a mortgage on a property that dose not exist or only half built and the company responsible gone broke and a government unwilling to help much.
It's still hard, at least for me, to anticipate what the impact will be on us in the UK.
These articles give a glimpse...
https://news.sky.com/story/the-economic ... s-12936631
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/chinas-deflat ... 58170.html
It might lower the price of our consumer goods and it might impact the worlds pork and luxury goods markets.

I knew of the Chinese Property and mortgage issues, but frankly, it all seems somebody elses problem.
Our own inflation problems ARE my concern, but even there, not much I can do about it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

I used to read the news. Now I glance at it. All of my life there has been aggravation around the world. All of that life I have been ‘ concerned’,and all my life I have never been able to change anything as a result! :lol: OK,I am in the unfortunate situation where my life is now short,but it’s taken that to take very little notice of the outside world. Time is precious. . It sounds very strange that I approach the worldwide *news* with little care perhaps,but I can’t change a damn thing! Nor can anyone else.

So I will continue to look after our personal empire :lol: ,make sure there’s grub,alternative power, and a solid roof. Can’t do anything else outside our front door to change the world.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:34 am I used to read the news. Now I glance at it. All of my life there has been aggravation around the world. All of that life I have been ‘ concerned’,and all my life I have never been able to change anything as a result! :lol: OK,I am in the unfortunate situation where my life is now short,but it’s taken that to take very little notice of the outside world. Time is precious. . It sounds very strange that I approach the worldwide *news* with little care perhaps,but I can’t change a damn thing! Nor can anyone else.

So I will continue to look after our personal empire :lol: ,make sure there’s grub,alternative power, and a solid roof. Can’t do anything else outside our front door to change the world.
It's one of my problems with the stoic outlook on life ,you can't do anything about it.....so don't try .

Mainly because it's not true ...
Poll tax
Votes for women
Slavery
Equal rights (usa)
Just loads of things it's not just black or white.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vitamin c wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:26 am
jansman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:34 am I used to read the news. Now I glance at it. All of my life there has been aggravation around the world. All of that life I have been ‘ concerned’,and all my life I have never been able to change anything as a result! :lol: OK,I am in the unfortunate situation where my life is now short,but it’s taken that to take very little notice of the outside world. Time is precious. . It sounds very strange that I approach the worldwide *news* with little care perhaps,but I can’t change a damn thing! Nor can anyone else.

It's one of my problems with the stoic outlook on life ,you can't do anything about it.....so don't try .

Mainly because it's not true ...
Poll tax
Votes for women
Slavery
Equal rights (usa)
Just loads of things it's not just black or white.
To a greater degree,yes list at the bottom is correct. Things were changed by *people* ,but not totally:
Poll tax was abolished and exchange for another crap tax
Votes for women. Yes. However,equality is still not 100% - and it should be.
Slavery: just go to your nearest car cleaning place- full of modern slaves.They are everywhere.
Equal rights in the USA : couldn’t give a monkeys!

I won’t lose sleep over it. As long as me and mine are ok,that’s all that counts.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:39 am
Vitamin c wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:26 am
jansman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:34 am It sounds very strange that I approach the worldwide *news* with little care perhaps,but I can’t change a damn thing! Nor can anyone else.

...it's not true ...
I won’t lose sleep over it. As long as me and mine are ok,that’s all that counts.
I think this difference of opinion could use its own thread?. What should we care about 'big picture' world events?
I'll throw my tuppence in....
I agree with Vitamin-C that we should maintain an awareness of big world events such as Wars, National economic woes, Human rights abroad etc, down to lesser problems like inflation.
But I also agree with Jansman and earlier posts by ItsyBitsy that we tend to our own needs closer to home and don't stress or obsess over world events. Life is short.
I'm a beggar for digesting world news and I believe its not so much that we can't do much 'ABOUT it'. but sometimes we can do something 'WITH it'. E.g. by having Ukraine in peripheral vision, we might have stockpiled more wheat and sunflower oil: By seeing how world oil markets are, we could adopt solar sooner. As for modern day slavery and the big issue of displaced persons, we can wrestle with our own consciences and decide to get the car washed cheap or to work in a food bank.
I admire some activists, but I wouldn't bust a gut to be one.
With this thread, we get Pakistan and China into our peripheral vision, as we did with Sri Lanka before. The trick must surely be how can we better prep with the knowledge that that vision gives us?

Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Go on then jen ,new thread please....
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I'll let the moderators decide whether they want such opinion pieces. If they do, they could neatly split the thread. If they don't, then we will know to stop our hand wringing on the forum.