Pickling Courgettes

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Pickling Courgettes

Post by jennyjj01 »

Having neglected Courtney Courgette for a couple of weeks I just went and harvested this stupidly huge crop. There's a couple of them that think they are gourds :)

I'm thinking of pickling them.

Anyone familiar with pickling these? Should I treat the HUGE fruits differently
IMG_20220809_201924.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
rik_uk3

Re: Pickling Courgettes

Post by rik_uk3 »

I pickle courgettes and aubergines. Family favourite is pickling in white wine or cider vinegar. You can add herbs you fancy (dill is my common one) and I prefer a sweet pickle so add sugar.

The bloater you might find is full of seed and not much use for pickling. They don't keep 'crisp' long compared to things like pickled onions but are well worth doing and go nicely with cold meats and cheese...well worth doing.

Plenty of recipes online such as https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cru ... tte-pickle
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

rik_uk3 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:02 am I pickle courgettes and aubergines. Family favourite is pickling in white wine or cider vinegar. You can add herbs you fancy (dill is my common one) and I prefer a sweet pickle so add sugar.

The bloater you might find is full of seed and not much use for pickling. They don't keep 'crisp' long compared to things like pickled onions but are well worth doing and go nicely with cold meats and cheese...well worth doing.

Plenty of recipes online such as https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cru ... tte-pickle
Thanks,
I made a batch with red wine vinegar and some Shwartzt ready mixed pickling herbs Added a few tablespoons of demerara sugar. All rather arbitrary quantities
The big fat one wasn't too bad for seeds.

The next batch will have to go in ordinary malt vinegar with more of that mix.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I was wondering whether to try some lacto-fermented pickles this year and have just found this link for lacto-fermented courgette. It seems that searching for Zucchini leads to more recipe choices than searching for courgette. I may have a go. we are just about staying on top of the squash production at the moment but I can see plenty more on the way.

https://culturesforhealth.com/blogs/rec ... mer-squash
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

lacto-fermentation is the method used for Kimchi and Sauerkraut.

I'm making some simple tomato chutney (again) this morning :)
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.