Boiling water to make it safe is overkill

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
GeeGee

Re: Boiling water to make it safe is overkill

Post by GeeGee »

When my son was only just toddling he contracted cryptosporidium ( and thats the short name for it)
He was put in isolation in hospital and the stuff he was expelling was disgusting you could smell it from outside the room
He was on drips and all sorts and i couldn't get near him
Filling his bottle of juice with tap water was the reason
Turns out it was across our area adults and kids ill and one poor little boy died I spoke to his parents after when they hit the headlines locally with it all ..those poor people
Fast forward to the water company apologising and new measures in place...
Its 33 yr later and I still boil ...and in any crisis it will be boiled and boiled again ...
I've seen it first hand ....
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Here's a paper on the topic of water pasteurisation using solar cookers
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC91110/
British Red

Post by British Red »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:17 pm
Still worth noting that boiling and chlorine tabs won't remove chemicals (,however a rolling boil will let some VOC"s "gas off"
Excellent point. Its also worth noting that some chemical toxins are natural in origin not industrial and hence can be found in many out of the way spots ( the hepatoxins and neurotoxins created by blue green algae are an example). Boiling does nothing to remove these.
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:50 am
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:18 pm A lot of years ago I served with HM Royal Marines. We were doing jungle warfare training in Belize. The water rule was ‘ boil then disinfect’. Well , life happened , and we were struggling to get to our extraction point on time. We got lazy and filled our bottles and dropped in double puritabs on the hoof. Wrong! We shat through the eye of a needle. When we reached our base, we took our kit off, and had to be hosed down! The kit was burnt.

In a crisis, our water will be boiled. Just to be sure.
Agreed. Better to be safe than up to your ears in crap. Literally. :mrgreen:
My wife has picked up a sickness bug,I won’t be graphic :( It’s ripping through the school she teaches at. Anyhow, she ain’t well. Fortunately we carry Loperamide in the medical cabinet, because crap happens; Sorry,it’s not intentional. My best mate’s wife was a community nurse in a poor area of Leicester. When kids ( or adults) had this problem,she told the to let a bottle of cola to go flat, and use it as a salt/ mineral replacement drink. Why? It was always present in houses with kids. Mrs J drinks it ,so I’ve cracked a couple open to go flat. If she’s not well this time tomorrow,over to the pharmacy,and doctor if he suggests.

My point? Right now we have back up. Even my jaunt in the jungle had help at the end of it. Diarrhoea kills.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:15 am My water cleaning preps at home consist of

A mill bag

A sawyer mini

Puritabs

Thin bleach that gets rotated cleaning the toilet etc

And for fuel efficiency a large Kelly kettle if shtf the neighbors might notice the fence loosing several slats a day :lol:

I've also got a lifesaver bottle though these were claimed to ge suspect on efficiency a few years ago but it can't do more harm than drinking out of a puddle ;)
I have the exact same set up.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:09 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:15 am My water cleaning preps at home consist of

A mill bag

A sawyer mini

Puritabs

Thin bleach that gets rotated cleaning the toilet etc

And for fuel efficiency a large Kelly kettle if shtf the neighbors might notice the fence loosing several slats a day :lol:

I've also got a lifesaver bottle though these were claimed to ge suspect on efficiency a few years ago but it can't do more harm than drinking out of a puddle ;)
I have the exact same set up.
Spooky. I'm not far off. I have a Sawyer Micro, Lifestraw, puri-tabs obviously (check the expiry dates), a cloth for prefiltering, lots of ways to boil.

If anyone has money to burn and/or a large group, this looks like the ultimate filter as it delivers high volumes, and unlike most filters it removes viruses (to 99.99%). From MSR, a very well known company. But it's expensive!
https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/gua ... -purifier/

The only other filter on that site I could see that removes viruses is this
https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/muv ... er-filter/
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:07 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:18 pm A lot of years ago I served with HM Royal Marines. We were doing jungle warfare training in Belize. The water rule was ‘ boil then disinfect’. Well , life happened , and we were struggling to get to our extraction point on time. We got lazy and filled our bottles and dropped in double puritabs on the hoof. Wrong! We shat through the eye of a needle. When we reached our base, we took our kit off, and had to be hosed down! The kit was burnt.

In a crisis, our water will be boiled. Just to be sure.
My wife has picked up a sickness bug,I won’t be graphic :( It’s ripping through the school she teaches at. Anyhow, she ain’t well. Fortunately we carry Loperamide in the medical cabinet, because crap happens; Sorry,it’s not intentional. My best mate’s wife was a community nurse in a poor area of Leicester. When kids ( or adults) had this problem,she told the to let a bottle of cola to go flat, and use it as a salt/ mineral replacement drink. Why? It was always present in houses with kids. Mrs J drinks it ,so I’ve cracked a couple open to go flat. If she’s not well this time tomorrow,over to the pharmacy,and doctor if he suggests.

My point? Right now we have back up. Even my jaunt in the jungle had help at the end of it. Diarrhoea kills.
I always have a box of cans of coke in, as well as replacing salts etc, coke can also help with migraines, as well as giving you a sugar rush when you need one! :mrgreen:

I also keep loperamide in -I get the generic from my local pharmacy, it costs almost nothing - I'm never without two boxes. Having been hospitalised with dehydration due to having a gastric flu episode, I know first hand how bloody awful it is. I also keep Diarolyte and cystitis relief -that's also potentially VERY dangerous.
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:49 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:07 pm

I always have a box of cans of coke in, as well as replacing salts etc, coke can also help with migraines, as well as giving you a sugar rush when you need one! :mrgreen:

I also keep loperamide in -I get the generic from my local pharmacy, it costs almost nothing - I'm never without two boxes. Having been hospitalised with dehydration due to having a gastric flu episode, I know first hand how bloody awful it is. I also keep Diarolyte and cystitis relief -that's also potentially VERY dangerous.
Same as our house itsy. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:49 pm [I also keep Diarolyte and cystitis relief -that's also potentially VERY dangerous.

That's brought back tye trauma as a teenager with my parents and aunty / uncle trying to describe cystitis to a French pharmacy worker talk about a comedy 10 minutes :lol: :lol: sound effects and acting wouldn't win any Oscars :lol: :lol: when the French chap had had enough he handed a large medical dictionary in English to French ... Least now er we have Google :lol:

In addition to dioralite I also keep a good stock of SIS sports hydration tablets in think make your own isotonic drink 500ml bottle and drop a tablet it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:07 pm [

Hope she has a speedy recovery there's everything spreading through schools at the moment just in time for the summer holidays 😂 little man got sent home with a cough he's been sparked out for 2 days not the Rona but a fierce barking cough and feeling fairly crappy
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine