Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

Post by Frnc »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:47 am
izzy_mack wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:05 am When I think of the future, I frequently get a heavy cold feeling in the pit of my stomach and if I dwell on it all for too long I get near to having a panic attack (haven't had one for years, partly due to being a prepper which gives a feeling of some security and just taking things into your own control).
I personally have lost trust. I don't trust those that make the rules or those that carry them out. I don't trust the media to report fairly and honestly. I don't trust business and manufacturers to be honest about their output or to have my best interests at heart.
The only thing I can do about all this is to be as self-sufficent as I can and to expect no real help from the outside world.
The family jokes that I'm a near hermit these days - good it's how I want it.
Having said all that I'm still quite positive. I am doing my best to survive whatever comes and to help my family do so too. That's where real power lies.
I'm 100% on your path too izzy_mack. I'm becoming increasingly more and more self sufficient. I neither want to rely on the system / authority / government. Nor do I want to be controlled by them any more than I am currently. Eventually, once I get my place a little more sorted, I would like to work with others wanting to live a comfortable, sustainable and largely off grid life. But that's a bit further down the line. My aim is to live with nature, yet have most of the comforts of modern living. To achieve this, I know it can only be done by huge effort. A 37hr week won't do it. But I expect to put the effort in. Our modern way of life hasn't been working for us. People have largely got far too used to being told what to do. Why? Because it's easier than having to put in the effort and prepare for themselves.

I don't engage in the political process. IMO none are worthy of a vote. Both the emerging extreme Left and extreme Right are becoming and increasingly deeply damaging force.

I contribute more to the system than I receive. For example, I haven't accessed the NHS in any way shape or form over the last 30 years.
Would be interesting to hear some examples of where you think the extreme left are a damaging force, just so I know what you're referring to. I appreciate the mods don't want things to get too political. I've not asked about the extreme right because I consider them being a damaging force is obvious. I'm not after an argument, just interested.
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

Frnc, as politics isn't allowed,,, I will send you a pm to explain my viewpoint
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:57 pm Frnc, as politics isn't allowed,,, I will send you a pm to explain my viewpoint
Good idea. Seen it. Will reply later.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thanks for the self moderation folks. ;) :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Frnc wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:24 am
2. The climate. Global warming. I know WOTW is sceptical, but I did post a lot of stuff to explain the science. We can see the extreme weather of the last few years around the world. This is just the start. The very beginning. But big change could be quite rapid. If feedbacks kick in. Eg, if the tundra thaws, more greenhouse gases will be released. If arctic ice melts, more sunlight reaches the ocean. If the ocean warms, it can't store as much CO2.
I watched a youtube video some time ago which put it all in really simple terms. It's probably still there but I can't remember the title and equally can't be bothered to trawl through youtube to find it again.
Put simply there are two possibilities . The earth is warming or it isn't and we have two options . To do something or to do nothing. That gives four scenerios.
1It's real and we do something to combat it.
2 It's real and we do nothing
3 It's not real and we try to combat it
and
4 It's not real and we do nothing.
1 gives us a chance
2 we're boned
3 we're ok but spend a lot of money
4 best case scenerio where we are ok and still have a nice lifestyle.
25% of going extinct , bit of a no brainer as I see it.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:42 pm
WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:57 pm With so many crisis world events occurring; many of them unprecedented and interrelated, does anyone else sense we are heading for the Perfect Storm?
Absolutely. Each world changing crisis is hitting us before any of the previous ones gets resolved.
Start at any point in the last 5 years and look at the headlines
Taliban. Not gone away. Better armed than ever.
The re-enactment group I'm with did a charity event at the weekend. On the way there my friend and I discussed the Taliban and how we wouldn't give to such a regime but had to bite our tongues when the organisers said that at least some of the money raised would be going to the Afganistan appeal. Colour us cynical but we really can't see thecharity money actually going to those in need
jansman

Post by jansman »

I’ll get another beer. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Frnc wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:45 am
Kiwififer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:04 am Global warming.

20 years from now I reckon you will see an armed conflict over the most basic of necessities, possibly in the Middle East. Something to which we Scots have an over abundance of.

Water.

The Gulf States May also become uninhabitable causing instability. Crops failing all over the place causing migration shifts.

We are living in very interesting times as the Chinese say.
Some say the civil war in Syria is partly over water.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38532338
Syria conflict: The biblical river at the heart of a water war

The flashpoint for Syria's war, six years old this March, has in recent days taken the form of an elemental struggle over water.

The drinking water supply to some 5 million residents in the Syrian capital, Damascus, was cut on 23 December by the Damascus Water Authority, who say rebels have contaminated it with diesel. Rebels deny this, saying bombing by the government has damaged the infrastructure.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... ?_amp=true

Saw an article in the Guardian today that was saying that states in America were draining lakes to keep their populations with water. It’s not a massive jump to see what will happen when reservoirs and lakes dry up.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Sometime ago I watched a documentary on just that subject and it also said something like a quarter of at least western and central USA is supplied from underground aquifers which are also being depleted faster than they fill.. Water seems to be an overlooked resource.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 pm Sometime ago I watched a documentary on just that subject and it also said something like a quarter of at least western and central USA is supplied from underground aquifers which are also being depleted faster than they fill.. Water seems to be an overlooked resource.
USGS.gov wrote:"Estimates vary, but, on average, each [US] person uses about 80-100 gallons of water per day, for indoor home uses. Are you surprised that the largest use of household water is to flush the toilet, and after that, to take showers and baths?
That's an insane amount! Even with US Gallons it's up to 380 Litres.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong