Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

How are you preparing
Kiwififer

Re: Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

Post by Kiwififer »

Don’t know where else to put this but that’s the Posties voting for strike action.

Non political and just relaying the news.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Rusty74 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:57 pm
Frnc wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:09 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:56 pm Pah public transport :lol:

To get to work a 10 mile drive... 20 minutes on a average day....

Get the bus :lol:

2 hours 51minutes!

And I'd need to leave work an hour early as last bus is at 4 I'm half hours walk from the stop I'd get "home" at 6:51pm then a 10 min to the house after changing busses 3 times

I'm contemplating doing my CBT and getting a moped
You can ride up to 125 with a CBT. 125 honda scooter, automatic, is a good bet. CBT is easy. But you still want decent protection. Need to be ultra careful at roundabouts for head cases who will fly in front of you from the right at an exit you are passing, or attack you from the left if you're trying to exit from the right hand lane. In fact it's probably wise to just stay in the left lane even if you're 'turning right', and then you only need to look out for head cases on your right. But you are supposed to use the right lane.
couldn't agree more with that past my bike test 30yrs ago and as a cbt learner at the time had to drop my dt125lc on a roundabout because of someone cutting me up and never stopping and full leathers a must or have the nurses scrubbing gravel out your wounds
I remember riding my scooter when it was hot. I went to work about 4pm. Not very nice. I had a mesh jacket with armour. I sometimes wore my base layer damp. Armoured jeans. Summer gloves. Was nice once I got to speed. But was still roasting when I got to work.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Conversely I nearly managed to give myself hypothermia on a small scooter in the middle of winter. I thought I had layered up enough but clearly not enough for an hour on a limited speed machine in sleet. (Which started 15 mins into the journey)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I passed my bike test 30 years ago, and spent many a happy hour going up, down, and over the Borders hills in rain, sleet, fog and snow. It took me half an hour to put on/take off all the layers when I got to work or home from it. :mrgreen:
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yeah, I had a lot of gear on in winter. Wind chill is a big factor at speed. I still have some of the thermals, might come in useful. In the end I got some of those things that attach to the handlebar and you put your hands in them.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

There’s a guy in the Guardian this morning now saying that Global Warming cannot be stopped. He says that while the U.K. is probably going to be saved from the worst effects, our houses are not equipped to deal with extreme heat which will ultimately cause deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... atastrophe
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:14 am There’s a guy in the Guardian this morning now saying that Global Warming cannot be stopped. He says that while the U.K. is probably going to be saved from the worst effects, our houses are not equipped to deal with extreme heat which will ultimately cause deaths.

We have passed the point of no return*
Some will say "Pah! so what. It's either a lie or it doesn't matter"
Some will say "We can't fix the big problem, so I'll just tend to my local area"
If we have passed the point of no return, why bother to change?

But if we have 'Passed the point of return" what does that mean on the long term (a few generations)? Does this conclude that we are doomed to extinction in the next few centuries? If 3/4 of us died, would the world recover, then? What if it doesn't? Will we just end up with a few healthy countries and a lot of dead ones?

*FWIW, I think he's right.
A spoof interview, but prescient.

https://youtu.be/6CXRaTnKDXA?t=201
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I have no idea how we will stop this, if we even can now but it does look like Mother Nature is fighting back.

I’ve made changes to my carbon footprint, I start my new job tomorrow so I’m using public transport and we have started only heating the tank three times a week instead of every day now. It’s not going to make the slightest difference but it is all I can personally do.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:42 am I have no idea how we will stop this, if we even can now but it does look like Mother Nature is fighting back.

I’ve made changes to my carbon footprint, I start my new job tomorrow so I’m using public transport and we have started only heating the tank three times a week instead of every day now. It’s not going to make the slightest difference but it is all I can personally do.
A big problem will need a big solution. Evolution and nature have a way of restoring equilibrium. Not necessarily one at current temperatures, and not necessarily one with humankind in it.
Don't worry. One day at a time.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:14 am There’s a guy in the Guardian this morning now saying that Global Warming cannot be stopped. He says that while the U.K. is probably going to be saved from the worst effects, our houses are not equipped to deal with extreme heat which will ultimately cause deaths.

In theory global warming could be limited to 2° if all countries took drastic action. This would still be dangerous for many people. In reality it's unlikely the people running the world/countries/corporations will do enough. This means warming will continue and feedbacks will kick in. The long term scenario would be 8° warming. How many would survive that I don't know. It's a bigger swing than the ice age. This would last for thousands of years. Basically like the opposite of an ice age cycle. The last ice age cycle took about 4,000 years to warm up and tens of thousands to cool down. Obviously that warming was at CO2 levels 50% lower than today.
Last edited by Frnc on Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.