Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

How are you preparing
Jerseyspud

Re: Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

Post by Jerseyspud »

Honestly? Yes I do think this is the start of a perfect storm. Climate change, cost of living, potential nuclear war, energy crisis, grain shortage (anyone got plague on their disaster bingo card? I'm looking at you monkey pox...)

Tbf I have crisis fatigue and I'm not sure any more which one I am meant to be most concerned about
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:22 pm Tbf I have crisis fatigue and I'm not sure any more which one I am meant to be most concerned about
They say 'You don't hear the shot that kills you"

While we are busy watching all those things that look dodgy, somewhere is lurking a killer surprise. Maybe they'll accidentally unleash a black hole at CERN, or maybe Israel will take a pop at Iran..... Or maybe Syria... Remember Syria... Will attack Turkey with a Nuke and NATO will have to retaliate, thus taking out a Russian airbase. Or Maybe New Zealand will go rogue? We don't know, what we don't know

If we can anticipate it, it won't be that :D
Best we can do is be alert. Your country needs lerts.

That and carry on Prepping.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Flash point might even be Kosovo and Serbia looking at events tonight
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:15 pm Flash point might even be Kosovo and Serbia looking at events tonight
What a f'd up world. You may be right. Serbia is Russian backed.
They don't even seem to be arguing about resources. This one looks just religious and cultural.

We'll probably have this in tomorrow;s headlines.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Nato peacekeepers in Kosovo. Russia backed Serbia

Another proxy war? Didn't have thst on my 20s bingo card

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Well it's all linked. Politics, economics, the climate crisis, the ecological crisis, war, inflation, recession, pandemic. There are often trends. Eg in the 30s, most governments went in for nationalisation to try to overcome the depression (Germany did the opposite). In the 80s and 90s, privatisation was common, especially in the UK, USA, Chile and Argentia. Also of course former USSR and later, China.
Recession is inherent in the system, and tends to happen to some degree every few years. In the early 2000s we saw a bubble, and in 2008 it popped.
Inflation can be local or international. Obviously now, oil/gas extractors are making a fortune and that is driving global inflation. In the 70s oil states quadrupled their price in retaliation for western support of Israel in a war against Egypt, and global inflation occurred.

Nationalism and sectarianism are often factors in wars. Also resources, and imperial ambitions.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:59 am Well it's all linked. Politics, economics, the climate crisis, the ecological crisis, war, inflation, recession, pandemic. There are often trends. Eg in the 30s, most governments went in for nationalisation to try to overcome the depression (Germany did the opposite). In the 80s and 90s, privatisation was common, especially in the UK, USA, Chile and Argentia. Also of course former USSR and later, China.
Recession is inherent in the system, and tends to happen to some degree every few years. In the early 2000s we saw a bubble, and in 2008 it popped.
Inflation can be local or international. Obviously now, oil/gas extractors are making a fortune and that is driving global inflation. In the 70s oil states quadrupled their price in retaliation for western support of Israel in a war against Egypt, and global inflation occurred.

Nationalism and sectarianism are often factors in wars. Also resources, and imperial ambitions.
And Me? I don’t whinge about it. I grow food,provide my own heating fuel,keep livestock and am pretty self reliant. I got into this prepping/ survivalist thing 30 years ago. Mind you ,me and Mrs J were country kids ,brought up in tough times. We are far from wealthy,indeed our children earn far more than us! We still help them as parents do though! :?

Times are tough. Deal with it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

And Pelosi is in Taiwan.

Get your tin hats on!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I was just reading a thread by a professor who's predicting a debt crisis worse than 2008-9 this winter. He's not alone. Civil unrest is becoming a distinct possibility. After the summer holidays, the leisure sector is going to crash as people cut their spending. They were already struggling due to Covid. Unemployment will rise. Other sectors are short on labour, but people can't change careers overnight, and fewer employers will be hiring extra staff in a recession. Are the utility companies prepared to cut people off? Will people be evicted from their homes? Currently it's illegal to cut people's water off, but nothing else.

Article in the, cough, Sun a few days ago

"70 per cent of the public expect many to refuse to pay energy bills, 80 per cent expect more shoplifting and 51 per cent think riots will take place.

And three in four expect ­people will die of the cold this winter, unable to afford heating.

More than half of those polled (51 per cent) say energy and oil firms are to blame for the hike in costs — a day after Shell and British Gas reported record profits.

Nearly nine in ten (88 per cent) are worried the cost of ­living will directly impact their everyday lives."
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I don't worry about riots where I live I'm lucky I'm rural but living in a big city I would be getting very worried.

The police struggled last time abandoning London till re-enforcements arrived from the shires.

This time I don't think it will be just London but all the biggest city's.
Fill er up jacko...