Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Pah public transport :lol:

To get to work a 10 mile drive... 20 minutes on a average day....

Get the bus :lol:

2 hours 51minutes!

And I'd need to leave work an hour early as last bus is at 4 I'm half hours walk from the stop I'd get "home" at 6:51pm then a 10 min to the house after changing busses 3 times

I'm contemplating doing my CBT and getting a moped
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

The general public are just not ready for what's coming and will scream the house down when it dose come when they realise their's no going back ..

What do you think will happen.
Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 pm
Frnc wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:24 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:27 am
I fear not. It takes a lot of resources to create a wind or solar farm. That they cost in at all is because of the rising costs of fossil fueled energy.

https://www.erecrerealestategroup.com/h ... -farm.html
Wind is a relatively cheap way to generate electricity these days though, and it's becoming cheaper. And at least they produce electricity more or less for nothing once they are up. What concerns me more is things like electric cars that only really benefit one or two people, and don't last anything like 20 years. I'm not sure how long their batteries last, but it's not very long. Is the planet's resources enough for producing billions of these things every few years? I doubt we can keep that up for long. The waste is colossal even if most gets recycled. We need to transition to primarily using pulic transport.
Public transport is a Great Idea,,,, but very often it just isn't practical and lots of people don't want to use it.
Many of those who advocate public transport live in areas already very well served.
It would be impossible to service my area with public transport. My population density is 1 person per square kilometre.

However, for the few years when I did live in an urban area I rarely used public transport. Slate me if you like, but I hated it. On the odd occasion I did use the service I found the experience to be a pain in the ar*e. In an area with an excellent public transport network using this service added at least an extra 2 hours to my day. Also carting fresh food was difficult. Fresh food has a high water content and so is heavy. Then factor in the British Winter weather.
For me, public transport is something I would only consider using on long journeys. The Inverness to London train for example.
Yeah for rural areas obviously it's not gonna be much use to most people. But in cities, well it depends. For example London. A real pain to drive through or try to park. £1.50 covers you on any buses for an hour or 90 mins, can't remember. The buses are quite quick because of bus lanes, tax on cars driving in the city etc. Tube is even better. They go every couple of minutes, are very fast, and cost little. Where I live, trams rule. Bit too expensive, but quick. Buses here are expensive and can be slow. But if there were less cars on the road they'd be quicker.
Long distance train is OK but could be cheaper. Coach is slow but dirt cheap.
Tokyo is like London, very cheap and quick to get around on public transport. Huge underground system. So efficient the doors open at gaps in barriers. They go every couple of minutes and cover every location, so you don't need to walk more than 5 minutes or so.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:56 pm Pah public transport :lol:

2 hours 51minutes!

And I'd need to leave work an hour early as last bus is at 4 I'm half hours walk from the stop I'd get "home" at 6:51pm then a 10 min to the house after changing busses 3 times

You can ride up to 125 with a CBT. 125 honda scooter, automatic, is a good bet. CBT is easy. But you still want decent protection. Need to be ultra careful at roundabouts for head cases who will fly in front of you from the right at an exit you are passing, or attack you from the left if you're trying to exit from the right hand lane. In fact it's probably wise to just stay in the left lane even if you're 'turning right', and then you only need to look out for head cases on your right. But you are supposed to use the right lane.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:09 pm

2 hours 51minutes!

You can ride up to 125 with a CBT. 125 honda scooter, automatic, is a good bet. CBT is easy. But you still want decent protection. Need to be ultra careful at roundabouts for head cases who will fly in front of you from the right at an exit you are passing, or attack you from the left if you're trying to exit from the right hand lane. In fact it's probably wise to just stay in the left lane even if you're 'turning right', and then you only need to look out for head cases on your right. But you are supposed to use the right lane.

I drive but cost of fuel is the swinging factor hoping they legalise those electric high capacity scooters .... I've got the gear used to go out on my mates bike as pillion boots armoured jacket pants and lid + gloves
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

Wind is a relatively cheap way to generate electricity these days though, and it's becoming cheaper. And at least they produce electricity more or less for nothing once they are up. What concerns me more is things like electric cars that only really benefit one or two people, and don't last anything like 20 years. I'm not sure how long their batteries last, but it's not very long. Is the planet's resources enough for producing billions of these things every few years? I doubt we can keep that up for long. The waste is colossal even if most gets recycled. We need to transition to primarily using pulic transport.
I suspect that we need to transition away from cities and hence public transport. For most of human history, most people didn't live in cities, when we needed a large manufacturing labour force they made sense. Post manufacturing they made sense when the logical workplace was the office. Nowadays, moving people around to do work that they could do easily at home makes no sense. Food, water energy all have to be transported to them.

Its proven that city dwellers have worse physical and mental health, terrible air quality, are much more likely to be victims of violent crime etc.

Why we think its sensible to concentrate people into unhealthy, expensive and environmentally damaging places escapes me. Lifestyles and living spaces have evolved several times in the past. Its time for them to evolve again.
daylen

Post by daylen »

Cities are actually very good at what they do. Economies of scale and concentration of people resource allow for a much more rapid advancement of science, technology, commerce, arts, and so on.

They're credited with a lot of improvements in our current way of life.

Whether or not such rapid advancement is a good thing is debatable but like them or not (I live in central Sheffield butI dislike them deeply) cities are very good at what they're meant to do :)
British Red

Post by British Red »

We can disagree, that's fine. Cities make human life shorter, more crime ridden and less happy (that is well researched). They were created to provide mass labour for factories rather than centres of learning. Even universities don't need to have students physically present to deliver the same old lectures these days in many subjects and certainly technology (my field) is global in reach. I'm not against cities per se ( other than the fact that research concludes that they make lives shorter and more miserable) but I suspect that where do need collaborative physical working, it could be accomplished well in a small market town these days 🙂
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

British Red wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:57 pm
I suspect that we need to transition away from cities and hence public transport. For most of human history, most people didn't live in cities, when we needed a large manufacturing labour force they made sense. Post manufacturing they made sense when the logical workplace was the office. Nowadays, moving people around to do work that they could do easily at home makes no sense. Food, water energy all have to be transported to them.

Its proven that city dwellers have worse physical and mental health, terrible air quality, are much more likely to be victims of violent crime etc.

Why we think its sensible to concentrate people into unhealthy, expensive and environmentally damaging places escapes me. Lifestyles and living spaces have evolved several times in the past. Its time for them to evolve again.
The world is becoming more and more urbanised. It is predicted that by 2050 about 64% of the developing world and 86% of the developed world will be urbanized.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

Frnc wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:09 pm

2 hours 51minutes!

couldn't agree more with that past my bike test 30yrs ago and as a cbt learner at the time had to drop my dt125lc on a roundabout because of someone cutting me up and never stopping and full leathers a must or have the nurses scrubbing gravel out your wounds
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...