Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:33 am
Kiwififer wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:42 am I have no idea how we will stop this, if we even can now but it does look like Mother Nature is fighting back.

I’ve made changes to my carbon footprint, I start my new job tomorrow so I’m using public transport and we have started only heating the tank three times a week instead of every day now. It’s not going to make the slightest difference but it is all I can personally do.
A big problem will need a big solution. Evolution and nature have a way of restoring equilibrium. Not necessarily one at current temperatures, and not necessarily one with humankind in it.
Don't worry. One day at a time.
If you ignore the last 150 years, the earth was 8,000 years into a cooling cycle to the next glaciation. Cooling rate was about 0.1° per 1000 years. But the stable trajectory now if mankind doesn't take drastic action is 8° warming for thousands of years. That would peak and slowly cool. The whole cycle would take a very long time. Image
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1810141115
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:41 am If you ignore the last 150 years, the earth was 8,000 years into a cooling cycle to the next glaciation. Cooling rate was about 0.1° per 1000 years. But the stable trajectory now if mankind doesn't take drastic action is 8° warming for thousands of years. That would peak and slowly cool. The whole cycle would take a very long time.
All rather technical for me.
Maybe too technical to present to any politician, serving a 4 or 5 year term in office..

The big question is... Do we care if mankind will be extinct in a few centuries time? I can't answer that even for myself.
Seems a bit of a waste.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:18 am
Frnc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:41 am If you ignore the last 150 years, the earth was 8,000 years into a cooling cycle to the next glaciation. Cooling rate was about 0.1° per 1000 years. But the stable trajectory now if mankind doesn't take drastic action is 8° warming for thousands of years. That would peak and slowly cool. The whole cycle would take a very long time.
All rather technical for me.
Maybe too technical to present to any politician, serving a 4 or 5 year term in office..

The big question is... Do we care if mankind will be extinct in a few centuries time? I can't answer that even for myself.
Seems a bit of a waste.
Ok, simple as poss.
1. We are still in an ice age, it's been going 2 million years
2. The current ice age has cycles - warm and cold, cold = glaciation over England, warm = "interglacial"
3. Each whole cycle lasts about 100,000 years.
4. Last glaciation ended 12,000 years ago.
5. We are in an interglacial
6. Warming only took 4,000 years.
7. Temerature reach a peak, 8,000 years ago.
8. Very slow cooling after that
9. Until we burned all the FF
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:48 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:18 am All rather technical for me.
Maybe too technical to present to any politician,
Ok, simple as poss.
2. The current ice age has cycles - warm and cold, cold = glaciation over England, warm = "interglacial"
But. That"s wrong. The Earth is only around 10000 years old.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:49 pm
Frnc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:48 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:18 am All rather technical for me.
Maybe too technical to present to any politician,
Ok, simple as poss.
But. That"s wrong. The Earth is only around 10000 years old.
Said the American standing in front of a huge unconformity in the Grand Canyon. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yLx2cE1YOeo/U ... Canyon.jpg
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:40 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:49 pm But. That"s wrong. The Earth is only around 10000 years old.
Said the American standing in front of a huge unconformity in the Grand Canyon. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yLx2cE1YOeo/U ... Canyon.jpg
You mean Dr Andrew Snelling, who debunked all those theories about 'Millions of years' and explained the formation resulting from the great flood?
https://answersresearchjournal.org/petr ... nto-group/

Just for the record, I missed a smiley: NO. I'm not one of those folks that believe the earth is only 10,000 years old. Nor am I a climate change denier.

However, they walk amongst us and there are some of each at the highest levels of world leadership. Presenting charts and documents like this to those leaders is futile if they either won't listen or don't care. Best we can do is listen to policies and use our votes when the opportunity arises.

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:25 pm
Frnc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:40 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:49 pm But. That"s wrong. The Earth is only around 10000 years old.
You mean Dr Andrew Snelling, who debunked all those theories about 'Millions of years' and explained the formation resulting from the great flood?
https://answersresearchjournal.org/petr ... nto-group/

Just for the record, I missed a smiley: NO. I'm not one of those folks that believe the earth is only 10,000 years old. Nor am I a climate change denier.

However, they walk amongst us and there are some of each at the highest levels of world leadership. Presenting charts and documents like this to those leaders is futile if they either won't listen or don't care. Best we can do is listen to policies and use our votes when the opportunity arises.

Damn, and all this time I thought the earth was 4.5 billion years old! I looked Snelling up and found some remarkable info!

"His creation research has centered around dating methods, with his pet hobbyhorse being polonium halos, which according to Answers in Genesis, he has used to demonstrate that most rock layers and fossils were deposited by a global flood 4,300 years ago.[4] He has been repeatedly overlooked for a Nobel Prize despite the importance of this discovery. " :lol:
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

True story
When I was at uni doing geology, we had civil eng students come to some of our lectures. I remember one of them telling me that fossils were hoaxes, planted by the devil to fool us!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

The original theme of this thread seemed to be musing on whether 'Big Picture' events are converging to a perfect storm.
Climate Change, International Tensions, Pandemics, World Politics, .... All things outside of our control and some out of bounds.

A few members have said they'll take discussion of those big picture topics in Private Messages, so I'll join them there.

Back to the prepping for what we can influence. Back to the 'Small picture'

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well the bigger picture is interesting. Might not be much we can do about it, but it's interesting sharing other people's views.