Cooking during power outage

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Happyhatter

Cooking during power outage

Post by Happyhatter »

Apologies if this is in wrong section, in event of few days without power how do folk heat food, boil water for hot drinks especially in colder months? Living in a flat an open fire definitely not an option, as for camping 'stoves' rather concerned about gas canister storage, thanks in advance for any information
pseudonym

Re: Cooking during power outage

Post by pseudonym »

Solar powered generator,
Gas stove
Wood burning stove
Gas cannister stove
Firepit.

Boil more than you need and fill flasks, hot water bottles etc
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

If you have open land nearbye try a hobo stove I've used them a lot and will in the comming months with the price rises continuing.
Easy to make runs of scrap wood /twigs and FREE
Just put hobo stove into YouTube theirs plenty examples.
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

First read your Tennant agreement and see if gas is permitted.

If not...

Bio ethanol and a bcb folding stove

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Dragon-Bu ... 7875&psc=1

Can get a litre of gell at bq for about £6

https://www.diy.com/departments/la-haci ... 156_BQ.prd

Meths and a trangia?

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15893146/t ... t-15893146
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Happyhatter wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:28 pm Apologies if this is in wrong section, in event of few days without power how do folk heat food, boil water for hot drinks especially in colder months? Living in a flat an open fire definitely not an option, as for camping 'stoves' rather concerned about gas canister storage, thanks in advance for any information
It's a massive issue. Carbon Monoxide is the biggest issue, beyond the risk of holding gas carts.
Many of us have hobo stoves, rocket stoves, camping stoves etc., But using any naked flame indoors is fraught with risk unless you have a working chimney. Some limited battery use to make tea with a 12V immersion heater, but most answers involve trying to force ventilation or cooking next to an open door or window,
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Some good ideas to look into, not averse to cooking next to open window (balconies an option) just need to add extra layer of clothes if it's middle of a freezing January
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Good tip looking at tenant agreement Yorkshire Andy as states not to store eg calor gas cannisters (makes sense on safety terms) your ideas on bio ethanol etc & use of hobo stove (obviously on open ground as suggested) worth looking into, thanks all for the ideas
jansman

Post by jansman »

I don’t see a problem with a gas camp stove by an open window. Rules or no rules.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Happyhatter wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:28 pm Apologies if this is in wrong section, in event of few days without power how do folk heat food, boil water for hot drinks especially in colder months? Living in a flat an open fire definitely not an option, as for camping 'stoves' rather concerned about gas canister storage, thanks in advance for any information
I wouldn't worry about storing gas canisters, all backpackers, climbers etc have half full and full ones in their homes. Unless your tenancy agreement excludes it, as someone mentioned. I've never heard of that before. Camping shops have loads of them on their shelves. As others have said, there is a carbon monoxide risk. You could cook something quick with the window open if it was pouring down. Just make sure you know how to use it and be careful.

The most stable design is one with legs, that sits to the side of the canister and connects via a tube. I have the other type that screws in the top. I have a plastic stand that clips on the base of the canister to make it more stable. This setup is Ok for small pots.

Gas is the easiest kind of stove. The canisters seal themselves when you unscrew them. Get a known brand, or a generic if it has lots of good reviews. My stove is a Soto Windmaster. Soto Amicus is cheaper.
Canisters are made by Coleman, Primus, Jetboil, MSR etc. Never use 100% propane. The popular ones are a mix of propane and butane (or isobutane, which might be the same).

Trangias are OK but beware of flames coming out the side! I wouldn't use the meths burner indoors or in the doorway of a tent because of this. Trangias run on meths, but mine has a gas burner as well (connects to canister via tube).

I do have a solid fuel stove, but they aren't great and the fuel tends to stink.

I also have a folding stove that burns twigs, and a round wood stove that's supposed to gasify (burn hotter and cleaner). Obviously these are strictly out doors only.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

By the way, you need camping pots in aluminium or titanium to go with camping stoves, you can't put a household saucepan on top!