Hello

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Happyhatter

Hello

Post by Happyhatter »

I'm new to this internet thing so please be patient until I get used to it. Became interested in prepping after first pandemic lockdown, folk panic buying/stripping supermarket shelves just madness in my humble.
pseudonym

Re: Hello

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and welcome.
This might help you find your way around.
https://uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17553
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Thanks for the welcome, I've got few supplies of food, water and toiletries put by, can cook from scratch and do bit of sewing would be interested which skills are worth learning
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Happyhatter wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:03 pm Thanks for the welcome, I've got few supplies of food, water and toiletries put by, can cook from scratch and do bit of sewing would be interested which skills are worth learning
Hi again,
Prepping goes hand in hand with good housekeeping. If you can cook from scratch, stretch yourself to growing food? and eating that :)
First aid is a good one to learn. And food preservation, canning, pickling, dehydrating?

Having some extra food in, gives need to stock rotate. Treating your reserves as your local 'shop' and treating your supermarket as your wholesaler. Great way of spotting the gaps.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome to the forum you find it helpful
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

First aid a good idea assume st John's ambulance do courses, growing food & preserving worth looking into it was good enough for our grandparents after all, thanks for the tips
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Happyhatter wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:03 pm Thanks for the welcome, I've got few supplies of food, water and toiletries put by, can cook from scratch and do bit of sewing would be interested which skills are worth learning
Hi, welcome. Bit of first aid is useful to know. How to light a wood fire outdoors, tricky to practice these days, unless you have a garden. Including with a magnifier. Map reading. How to use a camping gas stove or Trangia. Gas is easier. Morse code for SOS.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, HappyHatter :) such a nice name too :)

All of the suggestions above are great ideas. I'd add an organisational one: you don't need to do everything at once!
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Used to make hats for a living hence the name, got few months worth of food, water, toiletries, good old fashioned loo rolls and some candles put by, I'll no doubt come up with questions whilst browsing the forum, everyone seems to have lots of useful knowledge