Electric scooters to become legal on UK roads.

Logistics and Transport
Vitamin c

Electric scooters to become legal on UK roads.

Post by Vitamin c »

Transport minister grant shapps has announced that in the 22/23 parliamentary sitting electric scooters will become legal on the UK roads.
So far no talk about tax ,insurance, age restrictions but I'm guessing it won't be as simple as buy one and off you go .

If it's economicly viable would you consider one ,much like cycling great in good weather not so good in winter but undeniably a cheap way to get around for localish journeys.

What do you think . . .?
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Re: Electric scooters to become legal on UK roads.

Post by jansman »

So if people get them,is it a requirement to ride where and how you like,totally disrespectful of the Highway Code? Just like the clowns round here.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:36 am So if people get them,is it a requirement to ride where and how you like,totally disrespectful of the Highway Code? Just like the clowns round here.
Don't get my started on push bike riders I won't use the term cyclists I've had 3 near misses in a week... One emerged onto a roundabout out of a one way street against the flow of traffic,.

A royal mail worker tried to put herself under my car by failing to give way and riding into my path with parked cars both sides. It was "close pass" or hit her . Or get rear ended by the car up my back end by anchoring up and I wax only doing 15 ISH mph at the time

And a teenager coming out of a junction I was turning into on the wrong side of the road :evil:

I used to ride a lot but always played by the rules
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

To be fair if they become legal based on fuel prices I'd get one for local trips only issue I could see is security there's a lot less to lock up or through to something imovable
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:51 am To be fair if they become legal based on fuel prices I'd get one for local trips only issue I could see is security there's a lot less to lock up or through to something imovable
They are a good idea. They just seem to be ridden by oiks and yoofs ! I agree with the cycling - sorry,blokes on bikes-clowns too. I commuted by cycle for 17 years ,16 miles per day. I too ,obeyed the rules of the road.

Robert Frost.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I went to Berlin in 2019 and they are everywhere. Most seems to be ridden/driven responsibly (like bicycles).

I cannot see them being any more dangerous for rider or other road users than bicycles are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It’s interesting how people use the road. In a car ,most of the time :lol: people obey the rules of the highway. On my aforementioned commute,I rode 3 miles of dedicated cycle track. I cannot tell you how many times I almost ( and did once) collided with oncoming riders,who lost all knowledge of the fact that in the UK we travel on the left side of the highway! I would say that at least half of those riders drove a car too.It will be the same with these scooters too.In fact ,yesterday on the way back from work,I had to travel through town ,and a scooter riding numpty was travelling against one- way traffic.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:51 am To be fair if they become legal based on fuel prices I'd get one for local trips only issue I could see is security there's a lot less to lock up or through to something imovable
That's my concern too the rest bad /dangerous drivers wil get sorted out one way or another by the cops ,can't see government letting anybody behind the wheel their will be rules and regulations.
Or Saturday nights will be fun on the roads with 100s of drunk scooter riders heading home 😂
Fill er up jacko...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

This is good news for me, I think. I'm getting more and more wary of buying a car for the first time, I'm not sure I want to spend out on a good quality electric bike either, but as a local thing within my town, I could see an electric scooter. It will also enable me to bellow at the young teenagers who are riding on the pavement and pushing to get past me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Went to Bristol yesterday and the scooters are everywhere and I mean everywhere taking any route they fancied the scooters are provided by the council and is part of the government see how it goes testing scheme.
The majority are driven by university students and to be honest all I saw was chaos and night time was just stupid tiny lights no head gear no high way code .
I think they are a good idea and will catch on quick but needs regulation.
Fill er up jacko...