Protein alternatives

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Vega-J

Protein alternatives

Post by Vega-J »

Hello :D just had a query about storing non animal protein sources. I'm sure lentil, tinned beans and tvp would last a long time but does anyone store tofu, tempeh or seitan? I make my own seitan so I guess the ingredients could be stored long term?

pseudonym

Re: Protein alternatives

Post by pseudonym »

I know you can dehydrate all three, and they will probably be fine for a week, however the ingredients will last longer unprepared.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
hobo

Post by hobo »

I keep a stash of Marigold Braised Tofu. 10.5g protein per tin. Also beans, lentils, TVP…
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vega-J wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:33 am Hello :D just had a query about storing non animal protein sources. I'm sure lentil, tinned beans and tvp would last a long time but does anyone store tofu, tempeh or seitan? I make my own seitan so I guess the ingredients could be stored long term?

pseudonym wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 am I know you can dehydrate all three, and they will probably be fine for a week, however the ingredients will last longer unprepared.
Interesting idea to dehydrate seitan. :idea:
Ditto. I save the vital wheat gluten flour. (Got any good sources???), long term, to make the seitan as needed. A few seitan steaks kept in the freezer, cos I make it in batches..
I've never seen the point of making my own vital gluten from flour.

As with all composite foods, it's probably a better idea to preserve the ingredients separately.

TVP, pulses, Egg Powder, dried mushrooms, tinned fish and tinned jackfruit all in the backup pantry..

Love seitan. Never been a fan of tofu. Never tried tempeh.
https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/vegan-steak Nom Nom Nom.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Nuts are great sources of protein, but of course they go rancid under long storage: don't know how they last if they're freeze dried or dehydrated etc.

I love seitan! But can't use it any more, my allergy to gluten would kick me in the teeth sharpish.

I highly recommend pea powder, like this stuff https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/index ... earchto=50
It's said to be 80% protein, which is mega!

Jackfruit - I don't think it's a good source of protein, sorry. I have a couple of tins of jackfruit, and I just hoicked them out of storage to check - around 1% protein, that's all.
Vega-J

Post by Vega-J »

Arzosah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:50 am Nuts are great sources of protein, but of course they go rancid under long storage: don't know how they last if they're freeze dried or dehydrated etc.

I love seitan! But can't use it any more, my allergy to gluten would kick me in the teeth sharpish.

I highly recommend pea powder, like this stuff https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/index ... earchto=50
It's said to be 80% protein, which is mega!

Jackfruit - I don't think it's a good source of protein, sorry. I have a couple of tins of jackfruit, and I just hoicked them out of storage to check - around 1% protein, that's all.
Great suggestion with the pea protein. I already use pea, hemp and rice protein on a daily basis and plan to stock up as they are often on sale.

I didn't know nuts went rancid! Is it the fat content? Would high fat seeds such as chia, sunflower and hemp also go bad?

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:50 am
Ah. True. I stand corrected.
Pea powder at 80% sounds pretty good :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Vega-J wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:07 am
Arzosah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:50 am Nuts are great sources of protein, but of course they go rancid under long storage: don't know how they last if they're freeze dried or dehydrated etc.
I didn't know nuts went rancid! Is it the fat content? Would high fat seeds such as chia, sunflower and hemp also go bad?

Me again - this little linkie gives interesting info about different storage https://utopia.org/guide/do-nuts-go-bad ... r-storage/
But basically yes, it's the fat content. I can't tell you about individual seeds, sorry, but I wouldn't go beyond what that article recommends: rancid oil gives off free radicals, and it's them that cause ageing and imperfect cell reproduction, which can eventually (in a buildup of years and years) lead to cancerous growth.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We store Soy protein, Whey protein as well as soy beans, lentils, other beans, tinned fish etc.
Arctic249

Post by Arctic249 »

Plenty of wild plant foods around at the moment that are high in protein...Red Clover for instance.