What are your thoughts?

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: What are your thoughts?

Post by pseudonym »

daylen wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:59 pm Honestly, I'm more anxious about the state of things than I have been ever. Not necessarily for myself, but for family and loved ones in particular who have not been willing or able to read the signs and prepare for what's coming.
I'm past caring about those that ridiculed me in the past, did nothing with the information I gave freely. Their calls will now not be answered, I have become silent and err towards the Gray Man.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

daylen wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:59 pm I believe that this is where it hits the fan for many. The way I see it is that it's just about the line between the haves and have nots. For the last few decades, the line between having and not having has shifted massively towards the many. We've had a period of sustained and increasing prosperity for many people. However, now that line is shifting quickly back the other way at speed
Looking back over history there does seem to be a trend where wealth shifts to fewer and fewer people almost like some sort of pyramid scheme prior to collapse. The inequalities are a breeding ground for discontent and revolution. I feel that as you say the process has started although I think we are a little way off total collapse just yet. I also feel that if things turn really bad being prepared will help cushion to a degree but won't in any way insulate us completely. Some events are out of our hands.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I think the worst that would happen in the U.K. would be a strongly worded letter in the Telegraph!

Of course I’m joking about that, nobody can predict ‘events dear boy’ but I think we got our revolutions over and done with by 1916.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:36 am
daylen wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:59 pm I believe that this is where it hits the fan for many. The way I see it is that it's just about the line between the haves and have nots. For the last few decades, the line between having and not having has shifted massively towards the many. We've had a period of sustained and increasing prosperity for many people. However, now that line is shifting quickly back the other way at speed
Looking back over history there does seem to be a trend where wealth shifts to fewer and fewer people almost like some sort of pyramid scheme prior to collapse. The inequalities are a breeding ground for discontent and revolution. I feel that as you say the process has started although I think we are a little way off total collapse just yet. I also feel that if things turn really bad being prepared will help cushion to a degree but won't in any way insulate us completely. Some events are out of our hands.
I agree. This is one of the biggest problems the UK faces. I read the other day that if UK billionaires were taxed just 3%, £76 billion a year would be raised. The poor pay 40% tax via council tax, VAT, tax on petrol, booze etc. Millions will be pushed to the brink by the cost of gas, electricity, petrol, food, and everything else people need. We have hardly any socially useful industry, huge debt, unaffordable housing. In fact it's hard to buy a house even if you're loaded. Rental prices have also risen. The country is in an absolute state. I also worry about the state of the NHS and social care as I get older. I've had to pay over £700 for 3 tooth repairs over the last 3 years, on the NHS. A lot of people wouldn't have that money. We can't rely on our media or most politicians either, in my opinion. They don't care, and won't rock the boat.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Kiwififer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:32 amI think we got our revolutions over and done with by 1916.
I think people affected by The Troubles might disagree with you on that one!

And what if Scotland votes for independence in an Indyref2, and the UK "party in power" , lets say, doesn't like it?

This island has been early adopters of whatever trend is starting for a long time - the Industrial Revolution, the Civil War (it was us that cut the king's head off in the 1640s, after all, the French and the Russians were latecomers in 1793 and 1918 respectively, though the numbers killed varied. There's polarisation in UK society going on, like most other countries in the world, things can tip over into something quite different.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Agree with daylen, frnc and grenfell - rising inequality is going to cause trouble. *Is* causing trouble, which I think will get worse.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

The way things were going, the issue of Brexit could have triggered social unrest. Whether you agree with it or not, Leave won, but Remainers were trying to stop it, and Leavers were getting very antsy. And it's still not sorted in Northern Ireland, where it could impact the peace and stability of the last 25 years. So there, they have Brexit compounded with the sectarian situation.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Arzosah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:01 am
Kiwififer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:32 amI think we got our revolutions over and done with by 1916.
I think people affected by The Troubles might disagree with you on that one!

And what if Scotland votes for independence in an Indyref2, and the UK "party in power" , lets say, doesn't like it?

This island has been early adopters of whatever trend is starting for a long time - the Industrial Revolution, the Civil War (it was us that cut the king's head off in the 1640s, after all, the French and the Russians were latecomers in 1793 and 1918 respectively, though the numbers killed varied. There's polarisation in UK society going on, like most other countries in the world, things can tip over into something quite different.
We’re the Troubles a revolution though? Armed conflict/terror campaign depending on your persuasion yes, I’m unsure it was a revolution though as it never brought about the breakup of the U.K. like what 1916 which led to 1922 did.

I’m also not going there with Scottish independence, I have my very strong views but posting on here would verge into politics and that’s a no no.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Kiwififer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:24 pmWe’re the Troubles a revolution though? Armed conflict/terror campaign depending on your persuasion yes, I’m unsure it was a revolution though as it never brought about the breakup of the U.K. like what 1916 which led to 1922 did.
Well, in those terms, it wasn't a revolution, but I didn't think that was the *only* thing we were referring to on this thread :? 8-)
I’m also not going there with Scottish independence, I have my very strong views but posting on here would verge into politics and that’s a no no.
Absolutely, and I didn't mean to push it. My only point is that there's polarisation, and in the stressful world we live in today, that can lead to Bad Times, let's say. Like you, I have views which I'm not expressing, I'm just trying to look at the structure of the world we live in.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think things have got out of control, and are in such a mess that it's going to take decisive action to force radical change. Whatever form that takes is going to be messy but we can't live with chaos and/or injustice forever.