India export ban of wheat

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
moominmama

India export ban of wheat

Post by moominmama »

Dear all,

for those of you who have not already heard the news India has banned the export of wheat, I think it is safe to expect shortages and further (even more drastic) price increases. On a sad and depressing note as this appears to be due to drought conditions fueled by climate change I fear it is going to be an ongoing issue that we are going to have to live with.

I am going to be looking at re-organizing my food storge to allow for more pasta, noodles, flour, etc. At the moment am not sure where I can put it but I do want to add to my stores before prices rise further.

this says alot about the dependance on global supply chains

good luck to all, and keep safe.
Moorland Prepper

Re: India export ban of wheat

Post by Moorland Prepper »

US grain production down 8% due to drought:
Last month, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported that U.S. winter wheat production will be down 8 percent in 2022, from 1.28 billion bushels in 2021 to 1.17 billion bushels expected this year amid drought in Kansas and other areas plus lower yields.
https://conservativefiringline.com/u-s- ... r-ukraine/

I've enough bread flour to last until 2023 but will still buy a few bags more. I see big problems in 2023!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I've been buying flour, cleared a cupboard for it. Hope it lasts..
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

moominmama wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:00 pm On a sad and depressing note as this appears to be due to drought conditions fueled by climate change I fear it is going to be an ongoing issue that we are going to have to live with.
While the world is looking at Ukraine, gas/electricity/petrol/diesel prices, etc, the climate crisis marches on. Some scientists predict 8°C warming in the long term, due to feedbacks. Even 2° will be a disaster. It's already a disaster for some people. Ironically those who cause the least emissions are generally most affected by it.