India export ban of wheat

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
moominmama

India export ban of wheat

Post by moominmama »

Dear all,

for those of you who have not already heard the news India has banned the export of wheat, I think it is safe to expect shortages and further (even more drastic) price increases. On a sad and depressing note as this appears to be due to drought conditions fueled by climate change I fear it is going to be an ongoing issue that we are going to have to live with.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61461093

I am going to be looking at re-organizing my food storge to allow for more pasta, noodles, flour, etc. At the moment am not sure where I can put it but I do want to add to my stores before prices rise further.

this says alot about the dependance on global supply chains

good luck to all, and keep safe.
Moorland Prepper

Re: India export ban of wheat

Post by Moorland Prepper »

I'm busy buying flour at the moment as we bake our own bread. There has been none at Lidl or Aldi for weeks, but the main supermarkets still stock it at somewhat higher prices than last year.

We vacuum pack it and freeze it for a few days to extend the shelf life. I've read that this helps but the advice is a little vague. I'd like to keep it frozen permanently but then our four (smallish) freezers are full. I've read that freezing it for just a few days will kill the bugs in it so hopefully this will work.

If anyone has any advice on what i'm doing please feel free to comment as I'm not too sure about it - I just assume that It's better than doing nothing but leaving the flour on the shelf.

There was a food expert on TV the other night. Even now we are basically eating last year's harvest. The full effect of the Ukraine war won't be seen until next year, so I'm still stocking up.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Freezing flour/grain does work to kill weevils. However that bit of advice is from US prepping sites, and they have can have some pretty lousy food standards over there. As Jansman has said "If theres weevils in your flour, change supplier"

If a 'Belt & Braces' approach makes you rest easier then do it, but it shouldn't be needed with commercially packed flour in this country.

Store it sealed and in a hard container and you should be GTG
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:46 pm I'm busy buying flour at the moment as we bake our own bread. There has been none at Lidl or Aldi for weeks, but the main supermarkets still stock it at somewhat higher prices than last year.

We vacuum pack it and freeze it for a few days to extend the shelf life. I've read that this helps but the advice is a little vague. I'd like to keep it frozen permanently but then our four (smallish) freezers are full. I've read that freezing it for just a few days will kill the bugs in it so hopefully this will work.

If anyone has any advice on what i'm doing please feel free to comment as I'm not too sure about it - I just assume that It's better than doing nothing but leaving the flour on the shelf.

There was a food expert on TV the other night. Even now we are basically eating last year's harvest. The full effect of the Ukraine war won't be seen until next year, so I'm still stocking up.
vac pack, and freeze 24 - 48 hours is my way. I wouldn't waste freezer space on it beyond that. My vac packer isn't brilliant, so I double seal the ends. It's easy for a bit of flour to get in and ruin the seal. If it's not hard as a rock a month later, double bag it.
I agree. There are producers not bothering to sow and maybe some who are scrimping on fertilizer. The pain will be slow arriving, but 'worth the wait'. First comes the price rises... Then the empty shelves where we end up wishing we bought it while we could. With knock on effects on substitutes like oats.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs J buys bread ‘mix’ . Wholemeal. I make sure it is stored in a sealed plastic bucket,with silica gel and oxygen absorbers. That’ll do! We live in the UK which has proper food regulations. Flour here is screened. I asked our bakery manager at work if weevils were an issue in UK flour. His reply was,” What are you talking about?” ‘Nuff said!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Vega-J

Post by Vega-J »

jansman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:25 pm Mrs J buys bread ‘mix’ . Wholemeal. I make sure it is stored in a sealed plastic bucket,with silica gel and oxygen absorbers. That’ll do! We live in the UK which has proper food regulations. Flour here is screened. I asked our bakery manager at work if weevils were an issue in UK flour. His reply was,” What are you talking about?” ‘Nuff said!
How long does wholemeal flour last if stored this way? And what temperature is it stored at? I have the option of storing in a rather warm house or rather cold garage.

Thanks.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vega-J wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:36 pm
jansman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:25 pm Mrs J buys bread ‘mix’ . Wholemeal. I make sure it is stored in a sealed plastic bucket,with silica gel and oxygen absorbers. That’ll do! We live in the UK which has proper food regulations. Flour here is screened. I asked our bakery manager at work if weevils were an issue in UK flour. His reply was,” What are you talking about?” ‘Nuff said!
How long does wholemeal flour last if stored this way? And what temperature is it stored at? I have the option of storing in a rather warm house or rather cold garage.

Thanks.
No idea! :lol:The current Best before is December.Our pantry holds a steady 8 Celsius,Winter and Summer. But it’s best before ,not Use By. I’ll reckon six months beyond in proper conditions . We’ll just check for a fur coat in the bag ! :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've used bread mixes past their BBE, the results are disappointing to say the least..... Unless you like eating soggy dog biscuits, in which case they're wonderful.

Three to four weeks is about as far as I've successfully pushed them, and to get something edible I had to use fairly warm (60 degrees) water and run the bread maker immediately. This in a cool (north facing) store room.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:15 pm I've used bread mixes past their BBE, the results are disappointing to say the least..... Unless you like eating soggy dog biscuits, in which case they're wonderful.

Three to four weeks is about as far as I've successfully pushed them, and to get something edible I had to use fairly warm (60 degrees) water and run the bread maker immediately. This in a cool (north facing) store room.
Good information.Thanks Forge. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.