New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Mockingjay

Post by Mockingjay »

Hi everyone ;)

I'm a new member. Just found your forum while searching online for preppers in uk...

I'm a foreigner studying/working and living in uk for the past almost 10 years. I currently live in the Yorkshire area studying towards my computer science degree.

I used to live in a small village when I was a kid and everyone would naturally prep out of necessity as all people in the village lived mainly from their farming so everyone you prep seasonally with freezing, storing or salting techniques. Of course back then we wouldn't call it "prepping", it was just "living".

I always felt the need to go back to prepping, but there was never enough space, time or money for it. I'm lucky enough to have now a small room in my house which I was able to convert into a walking pantry so I started my prepping with that.... in terms of food I still fell that I don't have enough... but prepping is a lot more than just food/drink and I'm now learning all the other areas of it as well ;)

Prepping is sometimes seen as nonsense by some people, so I felt the need to try to find some others with similar ways of thinking than me.
"Best case scenario we have extra food, worse case scenario we have food"
jennyjj01

Re: New member

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You will find us a friendly down to earth bunch here without too much nonsense, but plenty of good humour.
As you've noticed, a well stocked pantry is a good starting point for meeting many contingencies but it can't cover everything. And we all have to use what space and resources we have. There are members here with minimal space and some with pretty big homesteads and between us we cover a range of styles.In the current climate of international unrest, you will see a few of us expressing concerns that should be unthinkable. Loss of reliable utilities, water, power and basic food supplies feel more threatened than usual.
Have a mooch around, and feel free to ask any questions and contribute answers and opinions of your own.

Maybe tell us what sorts of scenarios you are prepping for.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Mockingjay, welcome to the forum! Loving the Hunger Games reference :) Katniss is a real survivor, that's for sure.

You've done really well to set roots down, study for a degree, and get a house together in the time you've been here, good for you! And a little room set up exclusively for your preps is great. Even better is spreading out your learning to areas other than food and drink. Maybe start here by checking out the areas that deal with the new skills you're learning - there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, who may take a few days to turn up, but they're very willing to share their knowledge and experience.

PS you describe yourself as a foreigner, do you feel okay where you are?
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Hi mockingjay hunger games one of my fave to watch
As we say here in Yorkshire ...ey up hows tha doin ?
Youll have seen the state of some of the supermarkets here lately so your little room will come in useful ..as well as when we get the foot of snow exclusively to Yorkshire and nowhere else in the country 😂
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GeeGee wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:50 pm Youll have seen the state of some of the supermarkets here lately so your little room will come in useful ..
Might be stating the obvious, but consider using your big pantry as your local store and treat real world shopping trips as wholesale topups. That helps with rotation and recognising gaps.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Mockingjay

Post by Mockingjay »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:27 am Hi and welcome to the forum.
You will find us a friendly down to earth bunch here without too much nonsense, but plenty of good humour.
As you've noticed, a well stocked pantry is a good starting point for meeting many contingencies but it can't cover everything. And we all have to use what space and resources we have. There are members here with minimal space and some with pretty big homesteads and between us we cover a range of styles.In the current climate of international unrest, you will see a few of us expressing concerns that should be unthinkable. Loss of reliable utilities, water, power and basic food supplies feel more threatened than usual.
Have a mooch around, and feel free to ask any questions and contribute answers and opinions of your own.

Maybe tell us what sorts of scenarios you are prepping for.
I think we were never this close to a big nuclear war, so that is definitely something I’m preparing for and hoping it will never happen.
As I live on a top floor apartment I do want to preper to evacuate if case of fire. I have 3 pets (cats) and all that needs to be taken into consideration.
And for grids down situations as well.
Mockingjay

Post by Mockingjay »

Arzosah wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:20 pm Hello Mockingjay, welcome to the forum! Loving the Hunger Games reference :) Katniss is a real survivor, that's for sure.

You've done really well to set roots down, study for a degree, and get a house together in the time you've been here, good for you! And a little room set up exclusively for your preps is great. Even better is spreading out your learning to areas other than food and drink. Maybe start here by checking out the areas that deal with the new skills you're learning - there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, who may take a few days to turn up, but they're very willing to share their knowledge and experience.

PS you describe yourself as a foreigner, do you feel okay where you are?
I think I only described myself as a foreigner because that is a relevant part of who I am. And as English is not my first language, I have that as an excuse then you see my posts full of grammatical errors :lol: :D
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Welcome.

If your home village is used to seasonal prepping for the winter then there may be plenty you can teach us. Do you have preferred traditional ways to preserve each type of vegetable for example?
Mockingjay

Post by Mockingjay »

GeeGee wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:50 pm Hi mockingjay hunger games one of my fave to watch
As we say here in Yorkshire ...ey up hows tha doin ?
Youll have seen the state of some of the supermarkets here lately so your little room will come in useful ..as well as when we get the foot of snow exclusively to Yorkshire and nowhere else in the country 😂
I was talking about that the other day.... On the same day I went to Asda and Tesco and both looked full, but in most shelves there was only products at the front... shelves were actually empty. that adding to inflation, shortest of some food items due to disruptions in some international markets, and the war that will not end anytime soon... I think unfortunately it will only get worse and by this winter many people will really see the impact on their wallets and be greatly affected by it.