Thermals

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
diamond lil

Thermals

Post by diamond lil »

Looking for brand names or sites who sell real thermal gear. Want to buy us some base layer tops ready for the winter-without-heating :evil: Any recommendations welcome please.
Le Mouse

Re: Thermals

Post by Le Mouse »

M&S do thermals that are quite good. I've lived in their Heatgen thermal tops all winter. Also they don't cost the earth.

Women's thermals

Men's thermals

Edited to add: for swanky thermals, you can't go far wrong with Icebreaker. I've heard excellent things about them.
Last edited by Le Mouse on Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Keep your eyes open in the autumn for Lidl and Aldi ski event.. and winter cycle clothing

Base layers per say are not for warmth in the strict sense they are to pull moisture from the sweaty bits to get it away .. this helps keep you warm especially if you've been exerting yourself as the sweat won't chill the skin

https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/blo ... ing-guide/

Then a mid layer this again helps sweat escape but is usually brushed or fleece so lots of warmth retained

Then a big wooly jumper :lol:

I use the army surplus softie trousers at work in winter there great
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

Icebreaker, Ulfrotte for top of the line,

Damart are good mid range stuff

https://www.damart.co.uk/C-420365-thermal-underwear

Aldi, Lidl, Sports Direct are budget end
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Uniqlo are very good for Heattech. No many branches but good online delivery.

I like silk as I find artificial fibres can get a bit too warm. Lands End do very good ones but the price is eyewatering unless you buy in the sale. Mind you they are like sofa retailers in the frequency of their sales
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Theirs going to be a big demand for this sort of stuff I see many clothing manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon, so I'd wait and see .

Also it will be in sales come next spring so stock up then for next winter.
Fill er up jacko...
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Polyester or Poly/Cotton T-shirts work well for wicking moister, I buy thin 100% real wool tops from the charity shops when I see them, they work well for warmth midlayer.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Here's a range of thermal base layers that are comfortable, thin, warm, quick drying (never put thermals on a radiator though!) and inexpensive.
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/search/talus/

For socks I wear Vitsocks, 80% merino wool, £11.80 for two pairs but worth it. Occasionally I wear hiking socks (wool blend) if I'm outdoors for a few hours and it's really cold. Darn Tough are probably the top make. Smartwool and Bridgedale are also good.

Any cheap microfleece (lightweight fleece, not ultralight grid fleece)) makes a warm mid-layer, even over a cotton t-shirt, but they are not windproof. You can pick these up for £15 ish. Regatta, Mountain Warehouse, Decathlon etc. Either pullover with short zip or zip-up jacket. Regatta do a gilet too. Personally I wear a thin wool base layer a size larger than normal as a thin jumper, if it's cool and a fleece would be too warm.

You lose a lot of heat from your head, so a wooly hat or something. Also maybe a thin neckwarmer called a buff. These can be worn over the head as well - you can have it round your neck and then pull the back up over your head. You can get 6 for £7.99 here https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GXHT4DM/

You might want some thin liner gloves, wool or silk. Mostly don't work with phones or trackpads. Extremities Thinny Touch Glove £6.40 work on mine.

Outdoors you can't beat a synthetic insulated jacket from a company like Rab, Mountain Equipment, Montaine, but there will be cheaper alternatives at the places I just mentioned. Ideally with a hood. I got a Montaine Prism for £80 on Ebay, 2018 model.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks everybody will go and lookat all of these. Is just for sitting in the house this winter, I couldn't be assed with loads of throws and shawls and covers, prefer proper warm clothes instead.