fungi problem

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

fungi problem

Post by jennyjj01 »

Help please, dearest garden experts.

I think I have a fungus problem in my raised bed. For background, my local soil is quite sandy and we have had awful problems with fairy rings in the lawn, so bad we once dug it out and started from scratch. I cringe or swear every time I see a little patch of toadstools.

So.... I just looked to see if anything had popped up in the No#2 planter and found about an eight inch square riddled with little dark toadstools of the sort we had in the lawn.

THE LITTLE [Insert expletive plural] !!!
I hate them for what their parents did to my lawns.

This planter has been used for one years crop. It was a bought mix of topsoil and general purpose compost. Should I be worried that ...
a) These buggers will ruin my parsnips and
b) that they will spread to other planters and back to my lawn.

Should I bite the bullet and remove and destroy all that planter's soil? Or is there anything else I can do? I NEVER compost fungi.

Here's the pic. A handful which were just through the surface with 2 inches of roots.
IMG_20220411_182623_005.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Re: fungi problem

Post by jansman »

They will be ink caps. Bought in soil? Just dig it over and keep planting. Nothing to get bent out of shape for.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:20 pm They will be ink caps. Bought in soil? Just dig it over and keep planting. Nothing to get bent out of shape for.
Thanks Jansman, Especially for the identity.
This bed has only just been sown with parsnips, so I won't dig it, I'll just keep pulling the little [insert expletive plural] up every few days.

I do loathe and dread them though. It's a personal vendetta. Their parents destroyed our lawns and we spent a lot of time and money to get them something like, and still we get outbreaks on the front lawn. They are all over the neighbourhood. Moss is a big problem too, in those lawns.

From what I read, by the time a few surface in a lawn, there will be so many spores in the air, from the neighbourhood, that they will just recur. I dread composting the grass cuttings because of contamination, though really, there's little point worrying.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Coo - edible, though poisonous with alcohol. You can literally make ink from them. You have the makings of a home industry!
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees- ... %20flushes.