New member in Scotland

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
tommydog

New member in Scotland

Post by tommydog »

I'm a new member from Scotland and thought I should introduce myself.

I have had a long interest in prepping, but never actually started. Last year, the COVID pandemic and the fragility of the world economy really concentrated my mind. In December, I purchased a 12 acre farm in Scotland and will slowly learn to be as self sufficient as possible.

I have a lot to learn and hope to pick up some practical tips from this forum.
jennyjj01

Re: New member in Scotland

Post by jennyjj01 »

tommydog wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:49 am I'm a new member from Scotland and thought I should introduce myself.

I have had a long interest in prepping, but never actually started. Last year, the COVID pandemic and the fragility of the world economy really concentrated my mind. In December, I purchased a 12 acre farm in Scotland and will slowly learn to be as self sufficient as possible.

I have a lot to learn and hope to pick up some practical tips from this forum.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Here's a bit of help finding your way around.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17553

You have put yourself in an enviable situation with your farm, so long as you know how to use it. Many of we urban preppers would die for enough space to build a shed. :) There are a few members here with smallholdings and lots of prepping experience, You'l find them in the thread helping out with food growing advice.

Feel free to ask questions here and, even better, contribute your own ideas and answers.
Stay safe
JJ
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, Tommydog! 12 acres, that's a fantastic size! Make sure you join every local association you can, for help building up the soil, the biodiversity, any ponds or running water you have, plus any grants that might be available for, eg, native tree planting. Wonderful stuff. There's more run of the mill prepping too, of course, the type we all do - food, shelter, heat, water, first aid.

Enjoy your acreage!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Welcome from Merseyside!😃
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hi, whereaboots roughly are you? Without being too specific :mrgreen: I'm down in Jeddart.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

12 acres, wow! Might I suggest you grab a kindle version of "Secret Garden of Survival - How to grow a camouflaged food- forest". The idea is grow crops you only plant once and don't need to water or fertilise, just like nature grows, with radiating circles with a tall fruit or nut tree in the centre surrounded by edible bushes and then smaller edibles. You do need some water but it can come from your sink/bath waste or your roof, and gets filtered under ground. Fertiliser comes simply from dead leaves in the winter. It says you need 1/4 of an acre and is 5 x as productive as mono crops. Plus, looking like nature, it's less noticable to other people. I'm sure there are other things you want to do but this would only take a small fraction of your land.
Welcome to the forum, I'm new here myself, although I have been prepping for 2 or 3 years. First thing I did was start building a bugout bag and stockpiling food and things like surgical gloves and masks, which came in handy when Covid struck! Also I was already buying loo roll in boxes of 36 from whogivesacrap, recycled, no plastic.
Ara

Post by Ara »

You might like to join the Scottish Smallholders Association. They have an (usually, pandemics permitting) annual show which this year is in October at Forfar mart.
What is your land like? Is it upland, lowland, previously farmed, currently farmed. Do you (or will you) have polytunnels? Do you have family and are they on board with you? Have you any experience in gardening/farming? Ooh, how exciting.I am looking forward to reading about your journey.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome to the forum. You've already taken the first prep and an important one - you're THINKING. The fact that your OH is on board is great and will make things much easier for you' You'll find plenty of good advice here, all you have to do is ask. Farming, especially livestock can be scary at first but any idiot can learn, we do it! You'll probably get a few bruises and land face first in the muck now and then but just pick yourself up and keep going it gets easier.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi and welcome :tinfoil
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island